Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

photoshop Q'

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SOMSS!
did u set them all to 131px?
No, if you look at the layer palette you can see he made three copies of the text layer. He chose the layer on top and made that the smallest one, then increased in size as you go down the layer list (because if the largest one was on top, that's all you would see).

what color outlines did u use?white,blue,white?
Looks like he did use white, for the outline, blue for the second outline, and then white again (messing with the opacity/mode settings) for the shadow effect.

is this only for fonts? what if i draw my own font? can i use that layer with a outer glow?
It's not only for fonts - it's for any solid layers that have an empty (clear) background (and not a solid color like black or white!). If you made a new layer and then only drew a happy face, it would apply the effect to whatever solid areas there are. You can draw your own font and then use that layer with an outer glow, stroke (which is really a nice sharp outline), or any other effects - as long as it is on one layer.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Here's a quickie I did just to show you how I would do that (I'd tweak it a lot more so it's a little rough now, but here goes):

The two layers up top are the text layers - the top one has the line work done to it and the bottom one is used for the glow/shadow effect. If you want, I can mail you the PSD so you can see what I did.

P.S. Yeah, I still use Photoshop 7 at home.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u set them all to 131px?

what color outlines did u use?white,blue,white? sorry, I'm just really trying to get this figured out.also. is this only for fonts? what if i draw my own font? can i use that layer with a outer glow?
no... the 131 just happens to be that one... honestly just adjust it to your likings visually.

I didn't use any outlines if you look at the screenshot again...

it's really more simple than any of you are making it.

It's literally just 3 text layers on top of one solid black layer... each of the text layers with a seperate/different glow setting. That is all it is...
Old 03-24-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZexGX
No, if you look at the layer palette you can see he made three copies of the text layer. He chose the layer on top and made that the smallest one, then increased in size as you go down the layer list (because if the largest one was on top, that's all you would see).

Looks like he did use white, for the outline, blue for the second outline, and then white again (messing with the opacity/mode settings) for the shadow effect.
NO.... i did not make the layer on top smaller... I didn't touch it. All 3 text layers are the same exact size. They are in fact the same layer duplicated 3 times over. No scaling occured...

No opacity modes were changed either... no modes at all were changed...

come'on guys...

1. Make one text layer
2. Duplicate it 3 times
3. Adjust the Glows on each layer to your likings
4. Adjust the Glow Colors to your likings

THAT'S IT!

Originally Posted by ZexGX
It's not only for fonts - it's for any solid layers that have an empty (clear) background (and not a solid color like black or white!). If you made a new layer and then only drew a happy face, it would apply the effect to whatever solid areas there are. You can draw your own font and then use that layer with an outer glow, stroke (which is really a nice sharp outline), or any other effects - as long as it is on one layer.
Correct!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
NO.... i did not make the layer on top smaller... I didn't touch it. All 3 text layers are the same exact size. They are in fact the same layer duplicated 3 times over. No scaling occured...

No opacity modes were changed either... no modes at all were changed...

come'on guys...

1. Make one text layer
2. Duplicate it 3 times
3. Adjust the Glows on each layer to your likings
4. Adjust the Glow Colors to your likings

THAT'S IT!

Correct!
I never said the top layer was physically smaller, I said the smallest one was the top layer. When I typed that I meant the glow diameter. I just did the same thing that you did, but only using one layer. Two ways to do the same thing. Personally I think it's best to work with as few layers as possible as long as you can get the desired result... Saves your sanity in the long run on those really long projects that end up using more than 60 layers (not that this is one of them).
Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok. so i got that to work about 80% right. now how can i do a outerglow to my own font i scketched? i tried moving the setting the same way,but it doesent change anything.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Junkie

ok. so i got that to work about 80% right. now how can i do a outerglow to my own font i scketched? i tried moving the setting the same way,but it doesent change anything.

got a screenshot?