Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Got a modified exhaust ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a CA drivers license? If so then the car needs to be registered here in CA and you're lucky you didnt get an add on to that ticket for not being registered...
Old 04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
do you have a CA drivers license? If so then the car needs to be registered here in CA and you're lucky you didnt get an add on to that ticket for not being registered...
that's not true. you can have a license in one state, and a car registered in another.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hlaalu
that's not true. you can have a license in one state, and a car registered in another.
yes it is true, I got a ticket for it. Like I said earlier, there is a 30 day grace period and that is all.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
yes it is true, I got a ticket for it. Like I said earlier, there is a 30 day grace period and that is all.
i disagree. I was pulled over for speeding a few months ago, i have a nv license and my car is registered/insured in ca.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

i disagree. I was pulled over for speeding a few months ago, i have a nv license and my car is registered/insured in ca.
Youre wrong. I dont know about NV, but this is how it is in CA.

Read the first sentence under the heading "when fees are due" on this page. http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Here it is in case you miss it: "Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained."

It appears that datzneat would not be considered a visitor, which could give him a way around this requirement, after looking at all of the things that will void visitor status.

Directly from the DMV website.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got stopped for speeding and asked why I had a Cali license and Florida plates. I told him I was a resident of Florida on active duty stationed in Cali and he said that I was legit.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by topfig1
I got stopped for speeding and asked why I had a Cali license and Florida plates. I told him I was a resident of Florida on active duty stationed in Cali and he said that I was legit.
Yes, the military is one exception
Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Youre wrong. I dont know about NV, but this is how it is in CA.

Read the first sentence under the heading "when fees are due" on this page. http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Here it is in case you miss it: "Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained."

It appears that datzneat would not be considered a visitor, which could give him a way around this requirement, after looking at all of the things that will void visitor status.

Directly from the DMV website.
I still disagree. Another example would be my parents who have the opposite of me, ca licenses and nv registered cars. They have never had a problem either. Maybe because dual residence, I don't know. Perhaps "special permit" as stated in that document you found is as simple as this.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

I still disagree. Another example would be my parents... They have never had a problem either.
Ok man, nevermind the fact that the writing directly from the DMV is unequivocal, if youre parents havent had a problem yet, that must be the law! Emailing the DMV to inform them of their mistake now..
Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe because dual residence, I don't know. Perhaps "special permit" as stated in that document you found is as simple as this.
you missed this part.

Ok man, nevermind the fact that the writing directly from the DMV is unequivocal, if youre parents havent had a problem yet, that must be the law! Emailing the DMV to inform them of their mistake now..
and chill out dude, just trying to have a conversation here and figure this out. Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean im disrespecting you.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its legal for them to give you a ticket for it if you have lived in cali for over 90 days. Military or not, after 90 days you have to comply with all cali regulations including tint, smog, noise, etc.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am sure the municipality that wrote the ticket has the authority to enforce it, regardless of your state of registration.

Whether you want to 'fight' it is a personal decision. Some fights are not worth it, unless you absolutely know you are in the right.

If you do not mind taking a day off and going to court, my best advice would be to to present proof you fixed it. Usually that solves it. Trying to navigate through the application of municipality law vs state registration regulations is not something I would want to do.

On the issue of Colorado smog, as the one poster indicated it is limited to Front Range Counties (Denver). El Paso County, Colorado (FT.Carson) is currently exempted from testing, and will likely remain that way.

Hope it works out for you.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How would I not be a visitor? Honestly I am. On my taxes I'm a CO resident. All my mail is delivered to CO. My driver license and all my cars are CO. I don't have place of residence here. It's just me, my car, and some clothes. In every sense of the word I'm a visitor.

So how do I go about getting an extension?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Datzneat
How would I not be a visitor? Honestly I am. On my taxes I'm a CO resident. All my mail is delivered to CO. My driver license and all my cars are CO. I don't have place of residence here. It's just me, my car, and some clothes. In every sense of the word I'm a visitor.

So how do I go about getting an extension?
just show up to dmv with all that info, bring your license and registration of course a recent paycheck with your co address, maybe a utilities bill with your name and address and case dismissed.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Woooo got another ticket this weekend for modified exhaust and tint. I'm racking them up baby! lol This time when the motorcycle cop went back to his bike I started the car up and it backfired it him! Holy crap he was mad. Threatened to charge me with assault on a police officer. hahahaha
Old 05-16-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Woooo got another ticket this weekend for modified exhaust and tint. I'm racking them up baby! lol This time when the motorcycle cop went back to his bike I started the car up and it backfired it him! Holy crap he was mad. Threatened to charge me with assault on a police officer. hahahaha
and the hits keep on com'n, I would have loved to see him jump like a little girl. did he pull his gun?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Are you serious ? What a Dick ! I'd like to see him prove that ! Then again, my experience says the judge would believe whatever a cop says without even thinking out it, see it time and time again.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:23 AM
Teching In

LMAO that hilarious, where do you keep getting pulled over? My experience with that is they usually see you driving a little recklessly/revving it a little high and basically drawing attention to yourself in a hot car and they write you for a smalll little dinky ticket hoping you will cool your jets. Be lucky they are not rackin it up, I got a ticket that said 24 points at the bottom of it when i was 17 by adams county.

-Speed contest, windows, exhaust, lane change I believe... It all boiled down to only a 4 point charge by the judge tho cuz apparantly he had had previous experience with that cop or something... and I hired a lawyer lol.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Off the 405 here in CA in rush hour traffic going at most 30mph. Back in CO they didn't ever even mention it to me!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got pulled over yesterday, CHP said my exhaust was too loud and I need to fix my tinted windows and put a front plate on my car, but he didnt give me a ticket

So I went to the exhaust shop and made it louder

Quick Reply: Got a modified exhaust ticket