Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

how to properly wax car

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
That's ignorant man. Adams polishes aren't aggressive enough to pull out more than VERY light scratches unless you're working with a high-speed rotary with a wool pad. 95% of people will just burn edges all day long with that. Aside from that, I'd agree that 75% of their stuff is the best deal around and generally my go-to stuff. However, when it comes to polishes that deliver results, Meguiars is king. Especially their new M105 - holy effin crap. Use it on a wetsanded car - you'll cream ur pants. U barely have to follow up with M80 for perfection. Insane.
yeppp I don't buy it when people say they don't need a compound for their car either. Most cars will benefit from a light compounding, most OTC paint cleaners aren't strong enough even when used with a PC to get out most defects.

Another thing, don't get polish confused with a paint cleaner/compound. A pure polish contains zero abrasives and will not mask any defects. I'd say your polish and sealer/wax will improve your paint only 10%. The most important (90%) of great looking paint is in the cleaning/compounding.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiSSin LS1
hey man, ur ride is turning out nice...
whats that supposed to mean it wasn't before

thanks its coming along lol

well i got the super intensive polish and orange pad and i don't think its enough for my 11 year old car.
was thinking maybe yellow pad or does anyone know whats a tad bit stronger then menzerna super intensive polish?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

Meguiars 105 man I'm telling you, but i think its backordered. I have yet to use the yellow pad at all, the orange is working very well for me. Also a good OTC product is meguiars ultimate compound, it finishes very well, and is not as abrasive as 105. My sig pic was 14 year old paint, my car has since been repainted, but still I'm sure you can get your 98 lookin' slick.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Meguiars 105 man I'm telling you, but i think its backordered. I have yet to use the yellow pad at all, the orange is working very well for me. Also a good OTC product is meguiars ultimate compound, it finishes very well, and is not as abrasive as 105. My sig pic was 14 year old paint, my car has since been repainted, but still I'm sure you can get your 98 lookin' slick.
Listen to the man. As corny as it sounds, M105 is the closest to "Magic In A Bottle" for paint correction I've ever witnessed. They have a version out for D/As. If you google Auto Detailing Solutions, you'll find a very good source...

Don't use any of those "One step miracle polish" crap from yahoo companies...
Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 AM
TECH Regular

tomorrow i shall wax my car thanks for the all the info guys
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
so any store were they sell this magic in a bottle?
or only online?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Second Club

only online I'm sure. Again for an OTC substitute that's DA safe I'd recommend meguiars ultimate compound.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Here is the link to Mequiars website http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/
Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm kinda affraid of compounding or buffing my car because I have never done it before, and I don't want to risk damaging it
Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
I'm kinda affraid of compounding or buffing my car because I have never done it before, and I don't want to risk damaging it
It does take some practice. If you are interested in learning pick up an older hood or something that you arn't worried about messing up and practice. I did this in auto body class in high school. Best advice I can give is don't stay in one spot too long allways keep the buffer moving on the panel and edges or seams in the body "rub" through very quickly.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

without getting into much detail, basically i have not had to wash my car with water for over 2 years thanks to adams, i never let it get to out of hand, but even after getting hit with sprinklers and other random ****, within reason it always comes out.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

theres very little risk of burning your paint with a PC. start with something safe like meguiars deep crystal 1 paint cleaner. learn how speed/pressure/pad type affects the area you're working on. another important thing, alot of new products have diminishing abrasives which require you to work the product on a section for a few minutes. thats why its important to understand speed and pressure.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
without getting into much detail, basically i have not had to wash my car with water for over 2 years thanks to adams, i never let it get to out of hand, but even after getting hit with sprinklers and other random ****, within reason it always comes out.
is that safe? can you use just quick detailers and not mess up the cars finish?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah man, thats why i asked about peoples techniques and stuff. ive never buffed my car. im looking into washing, claybarring and waxing my car soon. i plan on going with a cheap 8" buffer for the wax. from reading up on using it, yeah dont stay in one place, keep the buffer moving. and dont press or lean on the buffer. i think the buffer should just barely touch the body and u should move it smoothly.

now is using a buffer and going up and down the right way to move it like along the hood or left to right?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by honeycutt.dewey
is that safe? can you use just quick detailers and not mess up the cars finish?
im sure i introduce a lot more surface scratches this way, but when i pc it and clay bar it, the paint shines like brand new. keep in mind i dont drive the car everday, for a daily this way of cleaning my car would be useless and yes probably do more harm then good.

Quick Reply: how to properly wax car