Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

NEWS: GM to experiment selling cars through eBay Motors

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool NEWS: GM to experiment selling cars through eBay Motors

Originally Posted by AutoBlog.Com
As part of its post-bankruptcy rebirth, General Motors plans to "experiment" selling its cars on eBay. At its press conference this morning, CEO Fritz Henderson let slip to members of the media that the automaker is engaged in talks with online auction site eBay "to revolutionize how people buy cars online." According to Henderson, GM has plans to try selling its vehicles online:
"Customers will be able to bid on actual vehicles just like they do in an eBay auction, including the option of choosing a predetermined 'Buy It Now' price... we'll be testing this and other ideas with our dealers over the next few weeks, and hope to expand and build upon them in the coming months... in all cases, our goal is to make the shopping and buying process as easy as possible for GM customers - on their time and their terms. Stay tuned."
Many individual GM dealers already use the auction powerhouse to sell vehicles, so the move isn't completely uncharted territory, but it isn't immediately clear how (or if) the automaker plans to integrate its dealer body within this process. Henderson was quick to reinforce that the company's plans with eBay are just an experiment, so as the CEO says... stay tuned.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/10/g...h-ebay-motors/
Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Desperate times guys...
Old 07-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I don't think it's desperate. Just use all the resources that you have available to you. Are all the people that sell their cars on e-bay desperate? I don't think so. JMO
Old 07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I couldn't understand why they wouldn't sell their vehicles at a slight loss considering $2k under cost for a G8 GT is better than having $25k sitting on the lot (which itself is depreciating as it sits).

I wouldn't say desperate, but you do need to be innovative.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its time to get modern. Honda and toyota both jumped ahead by modernizing, so now GM must do it. Think about how old the idea of dealerships are and how much easier it would be for people to buy cars if they could do it on ebay rather than talk to a sleezy salesman who doesnt know crap about the cars they sell anyways. It also cuts out a large middleman.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every one of the cars I have owned I bought on ebay. The people I bought them from weren't desperate. I don't think it is desperate at all. Why would it be. To me it is like saying any company selling online is desperate. It is a good idea.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like initiative. If it keeps them in business, good on em, and maybe the cost will better and less markup. And the best of all no dumbass salesman trying to tell you what he knows about the car, and is usually wrong. Hope it works for em.

Quick Reply: NEWS: GM to experiment selling cars through eBay Motors