Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Got nailed by CHP..

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got nailed by CHP..

Went into the carpool lane by myself on the way to work, which I never, ever do...literally within twenty seconds, I saw a cop FLYING up on me. He pulls me over, right off the bat says that my tints are illegal. Then he says he "tracked" me and got me at 84, even though he "knew I was going 100+." I asked him how that worked, and he said that he matched his speed with mine. Then I asked him how it was possible if he was flying up on me switching lanes, and he said it was "because my speedometer is callibrated."

Ended up writing me up for:

84 in a 65 (when the FASTEST, no lie, I had gone, which was before he saw me, was 80)
Crossing Double Yellow Lines (which I admit full guilt)
Tinted Front Windows
Left Rear Brake Light Out
Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Holy **** you got raped! Should be able to fight the speeding due to his bullshit speed measuring method. The crossing the double yellow isn't too likely unless you say you didn't or else why weren't written a citation for driving in the carpool. The rest are fix it citations. You're lucky he didn't give you a carpool ticket. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, i've gotten many of those "multiple" citations before... i swear they pop wood on guys like us...
Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude...you got off lucky. Cop must have just had a kid or something.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle
Should be able to fight the speeding due to his bullshit speed measuring method.
Seems to me that their speedo and and radar or laser are synced together so that it takes into account the cop car speed and gives a readout of the speed of the car they're chasing.

They can get you even if they're going in the opposite direction if they're locked on to you. The system adjusts for the speed of the cruiser.

They are evil.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

ouch i was driving I5 and the 805 yesterday and today in SD but thankfully i had a passenger . . . good luck bud!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kenp
Seems to me that their speedo and and radar or laser are synced together so that it takes into account the cop car speed and gives a readout of the speed of the car they're chasing.

They can get you even if they're going in the opposite direction if they're locked on to you. The system adjusts for the speed of the cruiser.

They are evil.
Sounds like the case.

Reminds me of when I got pulled over by a cop heading the opposite direction.

He said "didn't you see me?" I said "yes, but you were heading the other direction."
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DobsZ28
Went into the carpool lane by myself on the way to work, which I never, ever do...literally within twenty seconds, I saw a cop FLYING up on me. He pulls me over, right off the bat says that my tints are illegal. Then he says he "tracked" me and got me at 84, even though he "knew I was going 100+." I asked him how that worked, and he said that he matched his speed with mine. Then I asked him how it was possible if he was flying up on me switching lanes, and he said it was "because my speedometer is callibrated."

Ended up writing me up for:

84 in a 65 (when the FASTEST, no lie, I had gone, which was before he saw me, was 80)
Crossing Double Yellow Lines (which I admit full guilt)
Tinted Front Windows
Left Rear Brake Light Out
That's it?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kenp

They are evil.
That is true they can get you on radar if they're coming from the opposite direction or if you're coming up behind them. It doesn't make sense that he'd be able to lock on to him while weaving in and out of traffic to catch up with him. He's not flying a fighter jet locking onto a target lol.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
Dude...you got off lucky. Cop must have just had a kid or something.

I don't get it..is the crossing yellow lines not a carpool ticket? I dunno how much worse things could've been.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Get a good radar detector. I know when cops are running radar or laser before their on me. As for the carpool lanes it's a hell of a temptation to jump in one. I rarely risk it because of the hefty fine. Good Luck..
Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Skidog5150
Get a good radar detector. I know when cops are running radar or laser before their on me. As for the carpool lanes it's a hell of a temptation to jump in one. I rarely risk it because of the hefty fine. Good Luck..
what radar do you have?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
what radar do you have?
I've always bought Cobra's since I was a kid, but I'm sure there are better one's out there. I paid a couple of hundred for it on ebay. Mine picks up all of the radar bands and laser. It gives 360 coverage and even tells me when a fire truck or ambulance is near.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned Village Idiot

got lucky he didn't get you for you driving in the carpool lane!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah the minimum fine for a carpool violation is like $400 IIRC.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

wait so the ticket for crossing the double yellow ISNT a carpool ticket? because i was definitely in it, granted not for that long but he pulled me over out of it...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Skidog5150
Yeah I have a Cobra in my closet, I just told myself I wouldn't use it till I got a ticket haha
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lucky he didnt get you for driving in the carpool, I think thats something like $340 by itself.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DobsZ28
Yeah I have a Cobra in my closet, I just told myself I wouldn't use it till I got a ticket haha
LOL That's like not getting an airbag until after you get into an accident....
Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I went on my ride along with the CHP I learned a lot of ****. They have 2 fixed radar guns in each cruiser, one aimed through the left rear window and the other aimed through the left front window. Keep in mind that they can also have a handheld radar or laser gun. Their radar display screen is right behind the left front radar gun and it displays 3 things. First is the cruiser speed, 2nd is the fastest speed of a vehicle that is traveling either toward or away from the cruiser, and 3rd is the "lock" which shows the speed the car was traveling when the officer hits the lock button on his remote control. On the control the officer can switch from the front gun to the rear gun instantly or turn the system off and on also instantly. It also has the lock button which he hits when a vehicle is speeding and when he hits the button it locks their highest speed and displays it until he hits clear. The guy I rode with would turn his radar off, so it didn't make radar detectors go off, then turn it on when he saw a car speeding and lock the speed. A lot of people ask how the hell the officer knows how fast you are going? The answer is simple, they can visually see which car is moving the fastest in a group of traffic and the screen displays the fastest speed, so that is how they can single one car out in a group. It doesn't matter if your coming toward them or away from them front or rear, they can get your speed, even if they are going 120 cutting across lanes their radar tells them the fastest speed its reading and its not that hard to see which car is moving the fastest in a pack of traffic. These guys are pretty damn good at what they do, I went on another ride along with another officer and they both used similar tactics. I stopped speeding, because I know sooner or later your gonna get caught and the insurance on these cars is already ridiculous so why add to it.

Quick Reply: Got nailed by CHP..