Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

clean third gen on 57 north last night...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Wow.....
"only"? I can never discredit the LS1 but wow thats a broad statement dude you can spend as much money as they did on the LS1 swap and build a TPI motor or hell a 350 and make some serious power.
dude i have messed around with heads and cam tpi and carbed set ups.
and i was wondering why that power died at 45oorpm. lol

i wasn't impressed ...
i had spent alot more money on my old sbc. maintenance, replacement parts, tuning, overheating issues (so many breakdowns that the car had)

i was having a hard time when i pulled up to a ls1.
theres a big controversy on the thirdgen forums.. its pretty funny
but its a different story for everyone

so i decided to go the lsx route. reliability
Old 10-11-2009, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR

i wasn't impressed ...
i had spent alot more money on my old sbc. maintenance, replacement parts, tuning, overheating issues (so many breakdowns that the car had)

Very true. TPI motors are fun to drive around with and cruise..but if you want to be REAL fast it seems most practical to just leave your thirdgen stock while you save cash for a better setup.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR

i wasn't impressed ...

Yeah true. Well I mean some of the SBC that friends of mine threw together lasted a good amount of time, LS1's are really well designed engnies, I would say very awesome, but it's almost like nails on a chalk board when people say that LS1's are the best engine ever... they are great but hey its all in preference and what you wanna do.

I would imagine there would be some hardcore third gen guys gettin all pissy pantsed about puting an LS1 in them. Whatever, your car is freakin sweet and thats that.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Yeah true. Well I mean some of the SBC that friends of mine threw together lasted a good amount of time, LS1's are really well designed engnies, I would say very awesome, but it's almost like nails on a chalk board when people say that LS1's are the best engine ever... they are great but hey its all in preference and what you wanna do.

I would imagine there would be some hardcore third gen guys gettin all pissy pantsed about puting an LS1 in them. Whatever, your car is freakin sweet and thats that.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

nice avatar mike.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good run Nvrlift, that things sounds mean as hell. What exhaust are you running? I'll try to make it to one of these meets sometime, just can't afford any tickets right now.

Expeditious your car is sick, I want to go turbo when I finish school. I was thinking a friendly roll run but if ur stalled and want to do a dig I would need to get some ET's first. I used to go to the street races but there was always a bunch of drama. I'd rather run cool people that just want to try out their cars and not be all hostile and argue for hours about who gets what lane, who flags, "a chase is a race", space, etc.
Wow.....

"only"? I can never discredit the LS1 but wow thats a broad statement dude you can spend as much money as they did on the LS1 swap and build a TPI motor or hell a 350 and make some serious power.

LS1 swap is what on the average a 3-4k cost, then throw in parts like h/c/i or headers and exhaust and what not, roughly 4-5k.

that on a gen 1 sbc or a tpi motor you can make serious power as well, but hey it's a preference thing I got it. Just saying that it is not "only" cause they have LS1's in them, they just chose to go that route instead.

Alright lets get more controversial discussions... starting........now... lol
On the weight issue, 3rd gens w/LS1 swaps weigh around 3200-3300 w/o any other weight reduction. Of course both 3rd and 4th gens could be on serious diets and weigh closer to 3,000lbs.

SBC have potential but technology is the key, you don't see 4th gen guys swapping out their LS1's for sbc 383 strokers w/camel hump heads.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Screw the LS1...going with a LS3.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
Good run Nvrlift, that things sounds mean as hell. What exhaust are you running? I'll try to make it to one of these meets sometime, just can't afford any tickets right now.

Expeditious your car is sick, I want to go turbo when I finish school. I was thinking a friendly roll run but if ur stalled and want to do a dig I would need to get some ET's first. I used to go to the street races but there was always a bunch of drama. I'd rather run cool people that just want to try out their cars and not be all hostile and argue for hours about who gets what lane, who flags, "a chase is a race", space, etc.

On the weight issue, 3rd gens w/LS1 swaps weigh around 3200-3300 w/o any other weight reduction. Of course both 3rd and 4th gens could be on serious diets and weigh closer to 3,000lbs.

SBC have potential but technology is the key, you don't see 4th gen guys swapping out their LS1's for sbc 383 strokers w/camel hump heads.

Yeah no I completely understand hell I wouldn't do that either, and i tend to have ridiculous ideas sometimes.

But I was just saying that that was a bold statement saying that the only reason why he ran so well was cause it was an LS1. Mehh I know there are a lot of guys on here who are in love with the LSX based engines and would like to make babies with them, I say find something that works in what you are trying to build. To each his/her own.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28

HEEYY whats up again bro...im runnin TSP duals with powerstick mufflers axle dumped with edelbrock longtubes....that was sum good **** on the freeway...ur car moves out..!!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
nice avatar mike.

LOL....u love itttttttt
Old 10-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Teching In

thats the one u ran mike damn it clean
Old 10-19-2009, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CHEVYBOYZ_86IROCZ28
thats the one u ran mike damn it clean

ur 3rd gen lookin damn good itself bro..!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

That would be me. I think LS1's are great engines, but they are great in 4th gens, GTO's, Corvettes, etc. I've spent a lot less money getting my TPI to beat LS1's than I would have in installing a stock LS1 into my car. The secret to TPI is all in the short runners. LS1's have such big, awesome flowing heads that GM had to give them long runners just so they would have some torque.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

idk if its just me. but i love looking at 1st-3rd gen fbodys, old school chevys, even rx7s, 350zs, 240s, beemers and even ford 5.ohs with LSX swaps..
theyre great engines on any car.

its more of a preference as well. i kinda miss my gas buzzler cammed tpi. but then i dont cuz i havent even spent money on mods besides a cai and ported tb. for instance i got tired of looking at my old squared dash. so i threw in 4th gen dash gave it more of a modern look .

Quick Reply: clean third gen on 57 north last night...