Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Anyone in the Cal Poly/San Luis Obispo area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in the Cal Poly/San Luis Obispo area?

I'm currently a student at Cal Poly, browse the boards every once in a while to see what I can learn. Anyways, just seeing if there's anyone in the San Luis Obispo area on the forum. I've seen quite a few f-bodys around, can't remember any specific off the top of my head though.

Car's in my sig, white 2000 Z28, drilled and slotted rotors, and a stereo system I have turned up half the time.

-Brandon.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Launching!

It's all about Cal Poly Pomona. You guys are SLO.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

haha, the cops here are ridiculous though. I get enough problems with my car with just a catback, let alone a cammed ory car (one day though lol)

How many people have f-bodys over at Pomona?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sandsk8erz400
haha, the cops here are ridiculous though. I get enough problems with my car with just a catback, let alone a cammed ory car (one day though lol)

How many people have f-bodys over at Pomona?
I don't drive the Camaro to school but every now and then when I do I hate driving in the parking structure because the ground vibrates and car alarms go crazy and I'm trying to keep it super quiet but hard with the td's. Cops are pretty chill for the most part.

I've seen 4-5 LS based cars one new cyber gray metalic 2010 SS. But I live in the Engineering department so I don't see much.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

I know what you mean, I'm an ME and it's crazy how much time out of class I have to devote to hw, group projects, and stuff like that. While seeing all my business friends never even at school haha. What type of engineer?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Teching In

I drive by cal poly all the time on my way to cal state fullerton.
How r all the budget cuts affecting u guys?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sandsk8erz400
I know what you mean, I'm an ME and it's crazy how much time out of class I have to devote to hw, group projects, and stuff like that. While seeing all my business friends never even at school haha. What type of engineer?
I'm a CE but having taken Dynamics and Fluids Mechanics I don't know how an ME student can have an outside life. Thermodynamics isn't bad but we have such a hole ME instructors that don't give a **** it's insane. Only one or two good ones.

Originally Posted by dred500
I drive by cal poly all the time on my way to cal state fullerton.
How r all the budget cuts affecting u guys?
Well we're up to $1620 a quarter cutting a bunch of classes. Summer school cost me $980 for 4 units but will be done in June fingers crossed so I dgaf now.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

there are a couple guys up in the SLO area. Used to be about 5 of us that met up every once in a while but most of that group has graduated.

The cops up there really arent that bad, well except the crappy campus turds.

I am up there from time to time with my CETA, running open cutouts usually.

For the Pomona guys just remember who has "calpoly.com"

SLO is great area except for the damn roads. Freaking hell if your car is lowered it will scrape every where.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Im an aero major at the "real cal poly" so i know what you guys are going through. Going to class at 7am and having to study after class until i go to sleep. The SLO cops havent really been much trouble but i only have a cut out so its not as loud as a cam car. im usually driving around campus but my 10 bolt started whinning after a hard 2nd to 3rd shift on highland. so im not going to be driving it until i can get it home to fix it, i really dont want it to break down over here.

Car in sig
Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ruble50
Im an aero major at the "real cal poly" so i know what you guys are going through. Going to class at 7am and having to study after class until i go to sleep. The SLO cops havent really been much trouble but i only have a cut out so its not as loud as a cam car. im usually driving around campus but my 10 bolt started whinning after a hard 2nd to 3rd shift on highland. so im not going to be driving it until i can get it home to fix it, i really dont want it to break down over here.

Car in sig
First off NBM ftw! Ok I checked the facts and you guys were established first in 1901 then pomona in 1938. I actually wanted to go to slo but wasn't going to be able to afford it since I pay for school myself. Yeah my 10 bolt whined just a bit then it went kaboom for a second time then I said **** it and put a race rear in it.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle
First off NBM ftw! Ok I checked the facts and you guys were established first in 1901 then pomona in 1938. I actually wanted to go to slo but wasn't going to be able to afford it since I pay for school myself. Yeah my 10 bolt whined just a bit then it went kaboom for a second time then I said **** it and put a race rear in it.
I dont want to get too much off topic but wicked were your mods when you had your rear end go out the second time.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a CE but having taken Dynamics and Fluids Mechanics I don't know how an ME student can have an outside life. Thermodynamics isn't bad but we have such a hole ME instructors that don't give a **** it's insane. Only one or two good ones.
Ah dynamics; worst class I've EVER taken.

And, yeah, thermo's not that bad until you actually get into the heat transfer aspects of it at which point it just becomes exponentially shittier every day.

I'm jealous of you guys. UCLA has literally 0 American cars on campus besides this one legit sounding Cobra that rolls by fraternity row every so often but I'm almost certain it's not driven by a student.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ruble50
I dont want to get too much off topic but wicked were your mods when you had your rear end go out the second time.
Full exhaust with true duals, lid, 90/90, cam, ud pulley. Pretty much full bolt-ons and a cam. I have a textralia clutch that I'll be installing in two weeks. It was putting down about 415 rwhp. Hopefully getting some heads on there soon. It went out after doing a burnout in smooth dusty concrete. I was done wasting money into buying another 10 bolt since the second one cost me about $650 since I bought the rear install kit and 4.10 gears.

Originally Posted by Da Swami
Ah dynamics; worst class I've EVER taken.

And, yeah, thermo's not that bad until you actually get into the heat transfer aspects of it at which point it just becomes exponentially shittier every day.

I'm jealous of you guys. UCLA has literally 0 American cars on campus besides this one legit sounding Cobra that rolls by fraternity row every so often but I'm almost certain it's not driven by a student.
Dynamics definitely sucked ***** and put me back from being able to take fluids and hydraulics which I needed for senior project. Second time I took it I just aced the midterm then got a C on the final. The later stuff is just a pain in the *** so I just rolled on my midterm grade and ended up with a B. I'm taking thermo right now and its not bad hopefully the prof. stays cool and doesn't go crazy on us. Only taking thermo 1.

I could imagine that everyone probably drives bmw, benz, lexus....

Damn I thought I was the only one going to school in this section. I guess no one has time to post is all.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:43 AM
Teching In

Got to love school. Girls left and night. Learning is alright I guess lol
Old 10-29-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I could imagine that everyone probably drives bmw, benz, lexus....
Not even. Parking is so expensive that the only people who have it are the ones who need their cars for work and, being as they commute all the time, they all drive shitty beaters like Altimas/Sentras/Civics/Accords/Etc.

Then in Westwood you just get a buncha Persians in their 6-Series', M3's, etc.

Wilshire is where you get all the legit cars.

Parking here straight BLOWS for anyone that doesn't have a motorcycle. On the subject of bikes, though, we definitely have a few legit ones; seen a couple 1000rr's, two Repsol's, a Ducati, and an Aprilia.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

haha, tell me about it. Last year when I lived on campus it was over $400 for parking for the year, this year i think it's close to 5. I've been biking (bicycle) to campus this year, but when the weather turns, I think I'll have to purchase a permit for the winter quarter.

Yeah, i'm only a second yr so I'm just getting into statics and dynamics, and I've heard talk of thermo and fluid dynamics... not really looking forward to those haha.

Well maybe once spring rolls around next year, and I have my car back down here lol, the people in the slo area can meet up.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

haha, hey guys...hang in there!!!
I graduated from SLO (ARCE major) 4 years ago. I feel you on the thermo and fluids.

My last year there I had my 02 NBM SS with me. I used to park in the structure near the PAC all the time on the bottom (had early AM classes so I got my choice of parking spots). My loudmouth exhaust would set off car alarms like crazy, but never got hassled by the cops.

Yeah, there used to be a small group of us that met off of foothill blvd in the 24 hour fitness parking lot thursday evenings at like 6 or 7. One night we did a photoshoot in the parking structure (there were 4 of us) and all of a sudden 3 campus crown vics rolled up and said they had reports of people racing in the structure, so they just sat there and watched us while we finished our photoshoot.

I used to hang out with slovw (euro car group) too. They were a really cool group and welcomed any car, but now most of them have graduated and slovw isn't really the same anymore.

Here's some local car groups that I think are still around:
SLOVW http://www.slovw.com (mostly VW and Audi)
SLOCARS http://www.slocars.net (all cars but mostly ricers)
Central Coast Most Wanted http://www.ccmw.cc (mostly evos and wrxs)

Here are also a couple of fun roads to drive (google them to see where they are):
Turri Rd off of Los Osos Valley Rd (twisty and fun, minimal cars, but watch for bikes)
Prefumo Canyon Rd off of Los Osos Valley Rd (twisty and fun, but wasn't paved completly when I was there, but I've heard that it has recently been paved).

I encourage you guys to get a group together to chill with once a week or every other week or something. It really helps cut down the stress from classes. You guys should coordinate a time/place then leave notes on other f-bodys for when/where you're meeting...that's how SLOVW got started. Emphasize that it would just be a venue to check out the cars and shoot the breeze, no racing.
Too bad I'm up in norcal now...I miss SLO.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

good call on the fun roads.

Be careful on both Turri and Perfumo Cyn. both can get pretty sandy/dirty when the wind starts blowing. This isnt too big a deal with 4 wheels but when on motorcycles its a little hairy.

Oh and Perfumo still has some dirt/gravel portions to get all the way to Avila, if you take it these portions slow its a fun road.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

I missed the five cities exit going to the pismo outlets and as i was turning around i made a wrong turn on PRICE CANYON ROAD it has some straight away with some long curves on it. First time on that road i saw a Porshe carrera GT speed next to me heading the other way.

we should defintely start something like zfastss was saying and get some meets organized. My car wont be ready until after thanksgiving because of my rear end so i have to limp my car to the bay area and install a 12 bolt, but after that im down to get something organized.

Driving is defintely my best way to forget about a bad test score.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

^^^ Amen to that. I either choose the car or the bike to let off a little steam on the back roads.

Heading out to lake Lopez the road can be taken pretty quick because of long fast sweeping turns.

Quick Reply: Anyone in the Cal Poly/San Luis Obispo area?