Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Altima = 1, Firebird = 0

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Angry Altima = 1, Firebird = 0

So I was driving on the 10-E on my way home to BFE last night, doing about 70 (it's a 70 zone, and you know how slow I drive) in the #2 lane. I look in my rearview and I see a car coming up fast. The thing is also weaving through traffic like a jackass. Well, he gets up next to me and then cuts into the fast lane and speeds up. Then HE HITS A ******* BLUE PLASTIC COOLER THAT HE DIDN'T SEE BECAUSE HE WAS CHANGING LANES AT 90MPH. Makes a huge explosion of plastic and metal and knocks the ******* blue cooler right into my lane. I swerved to avoid but still ended up hitting it (it was either hit part of the cooler or drive over the sharp plastic/metal debris trail). I pull behind him and flash my brights, he pulls over and inspects his car, and I inspect mine. It's some black kid, and he goes "are you alright?". My cars bumper paint is fucked up and its spiderwebbing where the cooler hit it, so you can imagine my reaction. His cars damage was a bent license plate and a pencil sized ding at the very bottom of the bumper. That's all that happened to his car from hitting a cooler at 90MPH.

Anybody have a 98-02 Firebird/Formula bumper with no spiderwebbing? Once it spiderwebs it will never go away even if you bondo it, so I need a bumper without spiderwebbing/cracks.
Edit: Apparently stripping the surface down to the plastic until the spiderwebs are gone and then re-priming and paint is the only method to remove the cracks. If the cracks go all the way through the plastic then you are SOL.

FML.

Last edited by ZexGX; 11-02-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should've ran his *** over.
Pics of damage?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear that man.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn man, and you had the nicest looking car out of all of us
Old 11-02-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

you don't bondo the cracks, you are suppose to sand down the actual bumper and then they repaint it.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

lesson learned: if you had been driving faster this never would of happend.

hope you get it taken care of man, sorry.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hlaalu
you don't bondo the cracks, you are suppose to sand down the actual bumper and then they repaint it.
+1 Should'nt be to expensive($200),just take it to a trust worthy paint shop. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant remember for sure but i think someone it parting out a pewter bird on craigslist in the LA OC IE SD area i dont remember but i would run a search see if you can find that ad.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 180ls1
I cant remember for sure but i think someone it parting out a pewter bird on craigslist in the LA OC IE SD area i dont remember but i would run a search see if you can find that ad.
Did a search for "Firebird". Didn't find it...

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
+1 Should'nt be to expensive($200),just take it to a trust worthy paint shop. Just my 2 cents
The cracks just come back after you repaint it unless the paint is stripped all the way down to the plastic (which is a PITA). A lot of the shops I'm likely to take it to would just wetsand the clear down to the metallic layer and apply more paint... Don't believe me? Look at this:

Originally Posted by meissenation
Best part is that if you try wetsanding it down and having it repainted, it'll show up again in a year or so. The only good way to 100% get rid of it is to have the bumper stripped of paint entirely right down to the plastic surface, then repainted... or replace the whole bumper. I opted for replacing the whole bumper, less labor. $106 shipped to my door, I installed it myself, they painted it.
Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
My LT1 Formula has it. It's simply the paint becoming brittle over time (heat,sun,winter) and cracking when it's bumped. Repaint from the basecoat up is the only real way to get rid of it. The cracks go down to the basecoat so sanding won't do anything.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

That sux

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
LOL
Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5

hope you get it taken care of man, sorry.
More like if the douche in the Altima was driving slower, he would have seen the ******* BLUE COOLER in the lane he was moving into!

GJ on understanding the concept of why you don't speed and weave through traffic. You never know when a blue cooler will appear out of nowhere and rape your car.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Did a search for "Firebird". Didn't find it...

The cracks just come back after you repaint it unless the paint is stripped all the way down to the plastic (which is a PITA). A lot of the shops I'm likely to take it to would just wetsand the clear down to the metallic layer and apply more paint... Don't believe me? Look at this:
what ghetto *** shop are you talking to? it's not like they have to sand through steal to get to the bumper. call that place across from coto, they did a great job repainting the hood on my dads 911.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Launching!

If you do find a pewter bumper in decent shape, bring it over to the shop and we'll get it looking better than new. Sorry to hear of the misfortune due to mindless dipshit.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

^ do you paint?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spidercracking (not to offend spiders) had me rolling..
Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 AM
Launching!

^ do you paint?
Negative. I can correct most paint defects short of those through the clear coat though. Anything short of rock chips or gouges I can bring back to pretty much like-new or better.

As for the trolling. Dude, relax. He was giving a general description, that's all. Sounds like you're looking for a reason to get pissed at the guy. I could completely understand if he said some ****** got out of the car or some equally offensive name, but it wasn't in the spirit of a derogatory description, simply informational.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

KEEP this on topic, and no trolling or fighting!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, that sucks Lee. You shouldve knocked his *** out! LOL. Well, if you have full coverage they should be able to fix that for you.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt it would be more then his deductible though... Even at a $250 deduct. Unless they determine they need to replace the bumper, he will end up reporting it for nothing.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
I doubt it would be more then his deductible though... Even at a $250 deduct. Unless they determine they need to replace the bumper, he will end up reporting it for nothing.
Yeah, this is all going to be out-of-pocket.

Quick Reply: Altima = 1, Firebird = 0