Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Can anyone vouch for WCCH cnc porting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009 | 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Can anyone vouch for WCCH cnc porting?

I need to have a pair of LS3 head cnc ported...
Old 12-31-2009 | 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

ive never had work done by them but know plenty of friends that have. i think gm high tech/and all those other magazines have used them. theyre right up the street from me and theyre pretty nice guys there.
Old 12-31-2009 | 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

they are who ryne@CMS recommended for me when i wanted to get my 243 done.
Old 12-31-2009 | 06:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Every "Average Joe" that reads LSX mags and GM High Tech would know how good they are. There heads are on, I think all the top qualifying 7 sec LSX cars at the shoot out. A&A corvettes, CMS, RPM, and Excelsior Motorsports. Not to mention all the other guys around the LSX world now them and use only there heads.

Quote from there sight.
"For over sixteen years West Coast Cylinder Heads has been involved in the business of preparing Competition or Street Performance cylinder heads for a variety of different applications. Our cylinder heads have powered winners from Marine boat Racing to Drag Car Racing to Stock Car Racing to Motorcycle Racing. Collectively, we share over 37 Years of experience in modifying and preparing cylinder heads for the racing industry. And it is this experience that provides our customers with the Latest Technology in cylinder head performance.

We treat each customer's needs by evaluating their airflow requirements and specific engine combinations. Whether those needs are for Turbocharged Import racing engines or Supercharged Marine engines or Naturally Aspirated Motorcycle engines, winners rely on our services. In the world of competition you are always trying to find that extra bit of horsepower. Here at West Coast Cylinder Heads we have spent years in research & development finding the best Performance. Whether you are running a Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyota or Harley we can give you the power and reliability you are looking for!

Whatever your needs, we can help you select the type of Cylinder Head, Valves, Cam and Valve Springs for your application. If your Cylinder Heads are what need to be worked on, let our professionals do what they do best. "

Last edited by haighter; 12-31-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2009 | 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

I have a new article (Feb 2010) out of carcraft about gm performance parts ported L92's. It only made 11 hp over the stock casting but lost 6 tq on a 404ci motor.

Maybe GMPP's cnc job isnt as good as other shops but that sounds a little discouraging to me if a CNC ported head only gains 10 HP. It may be fine to just leave them the way they are in stock form.
Old 12-31-2009 | 06:30 PM
Launching!

I think this is where things go really wrong.... people look at the hp numbers and stuff and dont take into consideration about the blue printing of the motor. There is SOOOOOO much more to building a motor then just slapping parts onto it. What they should of dont is done back to back CFM graphs on the before and after. That way you could spec the correct intake, cam, exhaust for what you are trying to do and the goals you have. I also wouldnt go with a LS3 head if you are looking for anything over 750 RWHP. The decks on the head are really thin and you will start to have the heads lift and youll push water. Even with ARP head studs. There is a lot to building motors, thats why poeple need to find a good builder that has years of experience. People like Steve Morris, Tom Nelson and a whole list of other guys that do blue printing not just an engine concoctions.
Old 12-31-2009 | 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
I have a new article (Feb 2010) out of carcraft about gm performance parts ported L92's. It only made 11 hp over the stock casting but lost 6 tq on a 404ci motor.

Maybe GMPP's cnc job isnt as good as other shops but that sounds a little discouraging to me if a CNC ported head only gains 10 HP. It may be fine to just leave them the way they are in stock form.
What was the full set up? (cam, intake, TB, headers)
Did they mention any tuning parameters? (timing)
Old 12-31-2009 | 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Their like cms I never heard a bad thing reguarding them.
Old 12-31-2009 | 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by haighter
I think this is where things go really wrong.... people look at the hp numbers and stuff and dont take into consideration about the blue printing of the motor. There is SOOOOOO much more to building a motor then just slapping parts onto it. What they should of dont is done back to back CFM graphs on the before and after. That way you could spec the correct intake, cam, exhaust for what you are trying to do and the goals you have. I also wouldnt go with a LS3 head if you are looking for anything over 750 RWHP. The decks on the head are really thin and you will start to have the heads lift and youll push water. Even with ARP head studs. There is a lot to building motors, thats why poeple need to find a good builder that has years of experience. People like Steve Morris, Tom Nelson and a whole list of other guys that do blue printing not just an engine concoctions.
Nah, not gonna push over 750.

500rwhp NA is my goal for starters.
Old 12-31-2009 | 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Quote from there sight.
"For over sixteen years West Coast Cylinder Heads has been involved in the business of preparing Competition or Street Performance cylinder heads for a variety of different applications. Our cylinder heads have powered winners from Marine boat Racing to Drag Car Racing to Stock Car Racing to Motorcycle Racing. Collectively, we share over 37 Years of experience in modifying and preparing cylinder heads for the racing industry. And it is this experience that provides our customers with the Latest Technology in cylinder head performance.

We treat each customer's needs by evaluating their airflow requirements and specific engine combinations. Whether those needs are for Turbocharged Import racing engines or Supercharged Marine engines or Naturally Aspirated Motorcycle engines, winners rely on our services. In the world of competition you are always trying to find that extra bit of horsepower. Here at West Coast Cylinder Heads we have spent years in research & development finding the best Performance. Whether you are running a Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyota or Harley we can give you the power and reliability you are looking for!

Whatever your needs, we can help you select the type of Cylinder Head, Valves, Cam and Valve Springs for your application. If your Cylinder Heads are what need to be worked on, let our professionals do what they do best. "
I don't really care what's on their website...anybody can type up a nice little reference paragraph, I want first hand experience reviews...
Old 12-31-2009 | 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

I'm away from the article right now but I'm pretty sure it had a side by side CFM of the heads both ported and unported. I just remember not being so impressed with the numbers. I'm guessing WCCH does a better port job than GMPP so there heads would prob net more power.

SRJ do you already have the L92 heads in stock form?
Old 12-31-2009 | 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm away from the article right now but I'm pretty sure it had a side by side CFM of the heads both ported and unported. I just remember not being so impressed with the numbers. I'm guessing WCCH does a better port job than GMPP so there heads would prob net more power.

SRJ do you already have the L92 heads in stock form?
Yeah, they are LS3 take off's with stock hollow valves and yellow springs. Got them with the rockers and rocker stands too.
Old 12-31-2009 | 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

What size motor are these going on? You said your goal is 500 rwhp NA? What size cam are you planning on using? stock L76 intake? Reason I ask is i've seen a lot of 402/408's with L92's coming up short of the 500rwhp mark. Probably because of the L76 intake not flowing so much and the motor not being cammed right.
Old 12-31-2009 | 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

What size motor are these going on? You said your goal is 500 rwhp NA? What size cam are you planning on using? stock L76 intake? Reason I ask is i've seen a lot of 402/408's with L92's coming up short of the 500rwhp mark. Probably because of the L76 intake not flowing so much and the motor not being cammed right.
Well the first plan was to use stock 6.0 block, custom PatG cam (223/231 .610/.617 113+4), untouched LS3 heads, untouched LS3 intake manifold, Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers, Holley 90mm TB.
^^^This exact same set was put together for a cutomer of PatG and it dyno'd 460rwhp/446rwtq. You can see the dynograph here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-446rwtq.html

Well now I am thinking that I want to CNC port the heads, send the intake out to get ported, revised custom cam for the additional flow, larger TB (not sure what size), I found a killer deal on some Kooks 1 7/8"x2" stepped headers so I picked them up.

I was hoping that this combo would net ~500rwhp. If it doesn't that's fine, I just don't want to lose any hp or waste too much money by changing up the set up.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 12-31-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2009 | 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

What static compression ratio is your goal? Don't get too caught up in dyno numbers. I'm sure it will make some good power or atleast a tiny bit more than your 5.3
Old 12-31-2009 | 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

What static compression ratio is your goal? Don't get too caught up in dyno numbers. I'm sure it will make some good power or atleast a tiny bit more than your 5.3
Well I don't think i can mill the heads much with those large L92 valves without running into ptv issues. And since I don't know the exact specs of the revised custom cam yet, I can't say with any certainty. Most likely it will be 10.0-10.5 CR. Like I said if I fall short of 500rwhp that's fine, I'm not too hung up on the dyno numbers, I just want to get the most out of my set up with out breaking the bank. I just don't want to CNC port the heads and port the intake, and get a larger TB if I am only going to see less than steller results...

BTW, this will more than likely go into my '97 SS.
Old 12-31-2009 | 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I heard Robert McDonald is one of the best. You should take your heads there.
I didn't mean to be rude or anything, just saying that anyone can say anything on their website.
But you make a good point, first hand references are only as good as the person making the reference. But I'll do a lot of research before anything gets done.
Old 12-31-2009 | 08:51 PM
Launching!

I didn't mean to be rude or anything, just saying that anyone can say anything on their website.
But you make a good point, first hand references are only as good as the person making the reference. But I'll do a lot of research before anything gets done.
That is where I do think it is rude... I would never tell someone to do something that was wrong for there car. Nor would any good shop. Less alone top LSX cars in the LSX shoot out..... When I or other reputable techs, engine builders or shop oners say something about who they recommend or suggest they put there reputation on the line. I believe a man is only as good as his word.

When someone tells you something and that is what they do for a living and see stuff like this everyday and trust what Joe Blow says in his little cave in Kansas says is concrete. Its sorta slap in the face.

As for WCCH, I have seen there heads on a 347 with around 10 or 11:1 CR with small pacesetter headers make almost 500RWHP through a 9". RIP White Mongoose. I also run there heads on my set up, same with will, so does Ryne and a **** load of other local vette guys.

Also getting the L76 intake ported I think is a waste of time and money. Sell the intake and eather go with a FAST or a Victor Jr. The L76 intakes do not make power past 6500rpm no matter how crazy your setup is.
Old 12-31-2009 | 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

ive dealt with them on numerous occasions... top notch work and quick turn around time... i would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone...
Old 12-31-2009 | 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is where I do think it is rude... I would never tell someone to do something that was wrong for there car. Nor would any good shop. Less alone top LSX cars in the LSX shoot out..... When I or other reputable techs, engine builders or shop oners say something about who they recommend or suggest they put there reputation on the line. I believe a man is only as good as his word.

When someone tells you something and that is what they do for a living and see stuff like this everyday and trust what Joe Blow says in his little cave in Kansas says is concrete. Its sorta slap in the face.

As for WCCH, I have seen there heads on a 347 with around 10 or 11:1 CR with small pacesetter headers make almost 500RWHP through a 9". RIP White Mongoose. I also run there heads on my set up, same with will, so does Ryne and a **** load of other local vette guys.

Also getting the L76 intake ported I think is a waste of time and money. Sell the intake and eather go with a FAST or a Victor Jr. The L76 intakes do not make power past 6500rpm no matter how crazy your setup is.
See to me it only looked like you were saying that you've seen good results posted in magazines and you have read good things on their website, not that you were first hand recommending them. Might just be the way I read it, but oh well.
Seems like I will be getting them ported there. I have sonsidered a Victor Jr or GMPP EFI intake and using a 4 hole TB. Still not 100% sure on the intake to be used. I won't have the motor done for a while...

Quick Reply: Can anyone vouch for WCCH cnc porting?