Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

****VIDEO**** - Clutch SQUEAL Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
YES!

that's what's sooooo damn aggravating about it... I don't wanna know how much money I've spent on the labor alone in the R&R of the clutches and tranny. I've tried cheap clutches and I've tried $1500 setups... The car NEVER sees the track, and I drive it pretty damn conservatively. So I don't know where I'm going wrong.

I guess just the nature of the beast...
the monsters and textralias make the same noises.... they are all puck style clutches.... what do you expect when your applying a metal puck to a metal flywheel.... its going to make noise with being slipped.... otherwise the oem manufactures would use it on stock cars.... its a simply compromise you have to make.... if it was my car at the power level your at i would just install a ls7 clutch and call it a day... and enjoy stock driveability
Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a pissed off goat!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
the monsters and textralias make the same noises.... they are all puck style clutches.... what do you expect when your applying a metal puck to a metal flywheel.... its going to make noise with being slipped.... otherwise the oem manufactures would use it on stock cars.... its a simply compromise you have to make.... if it was my car at the power level your at i would just install a ls7 clutch and call it a day... and enjoy stock driveability
I agree 100%, especially if you don't have the rear end to support a clutch like that. If you dont plan on doing some hard launches on slicks, why run such a beefy clutch?
Old 04-11-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmard
I agree 100%, especially if you don't have the rear end to support a clutch like that. If you dont plan on doing some hard launches on slicks, why run such a beefy clutch?
yea... Good points. I do eventually plan on running a Midwest Chassis 9" but that won't be for a while. I suppose I'll run this one till it gives out on me, then figure out what I'm gonna do from there. I've just never heard anyone elses clutches sound like this, even as many car shows, and cruises I've been to, seems like mine is the only one...
Old 04-11-2010, 04:07 AM
TECH Resident

yea... Good points. I do eventually plan on running a Midwest Chassis 9" but that won't be for a while. I suppose I'll run this one till it gives out on me, then figure out what I'm gonna do from there. I've just never heard anyone elses clutches sound like this, even as many car shows, and cruises I've been to, seems like mine is the only one...
Well, I'll say it's not a very attractive sound hahah, so when I'm at things like that, I do my best to make it seem like it's non-existent, but it's definitely there. Though yours is pretty bad.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Well, I'll say it's not a very attractive sound hahah, so when I'm at things like that, I do my best to make it seem like it's non-existent, but it's definitely there. Though yours is pretty bad.
oh it'll get louder than what's in the video to... just so happens at that point in time I couldn't get it to get any louder.

Centerforce e-mailed me back on their thoughts as well....

Upon reviewing the video I can understand your concern with the noise. I’ve heard/experienced noises upon engagement of the clutch with the use of ceramatallic friction material, however, your vehicle seems to be slightly louder than the normal. The noise almost seems to be amplified by a tin sound which I’m uncertain of what is creating/amplifying the noise. Other than the noise, I don’t know that this would lead or cause a failure within the clutch. If this noise is something you can’t deal with and would prefer we inspect the clutch for abnormal wear or possible causes of excessive noise, you can contact us for a return number so we can evaluate the disc.

Last edited by Soul TKR; 04-11-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by violent_celerity
he obviously made the clutch his bitch, so it STFU.. haha
I lol'd hard.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I lol'd hard.
Lol 40k miles, countless high rpm slick launches, daily LA traffic, still no slipping, going strong......
Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Wes:

So you painted your car Yellow now??? LOL

Why did you go such a aggresive Clutch when you dont have the tire or rear end to even support it? What do you have for tires? Bald azz Kumho's

That noise is not that bad. Now go get some GOOD TIRES then a rear end and let that Clutch do what it is supposed to do, 5K Launches that way a stock C5 wont beat you.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've just never heard anyone elses clutches sound like this, even as many car shows, and cruises I've been to, seems like mine is the only one...
I guess you never heard mine...I had the Tex and tick master and it still made that noise. Like Ryne said, if you try to slip it its always going to make noise. When I would let the clutch out a little quick and give it more gas it wouldnt make noise.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
Why did you go such a aggresive Clutch when you dont have the tire or rear end to even support it? What do you have for tires? Bald azz Kumho's

That noise is not that bad. Now go get some GOOD TIRES then a rear end and let that Clutch do what it is supposed to do, 5K Launches that way a stock C5 wont beat you.
Well... in the time frame I was getting the clutch put in with my tranny rebuilding, and under circumstances where I couldn't be there (in AZ at the time) and time costraints I didn't exactly get to choose the clutch disc... not anyones fault, just how things worked out...

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I guess you never heard mine...I had the Tex and tick master and it still made that noise. Like Ryne said, if you try to slip it its always going to make noise. When I would let the clutch out a little quick and give it more gas it wouldnt make noise.
yea... since this thread I have been trying that. Seems to work... just makes me feel like I'm beating on the car alot always revving it more than usual. But i'm paranoid that way so
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

I was doing some research on LS1Tech because I'm loosing some coolant and I came across a thread from you, Wes in 2007. You were having to buy a new radiator but were low on cash because you just bought a clutch. LOL.. You have been dealing with this clutch issue for a while. I went with the SPEC 2+. It was cheap, has good drivability and it's good for 782 ft/Ibs of torque. (which I'll never see... LOL)

I hope you finally get it taken care of. Your car is too badass to be embarassed by unwanted noises...
Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Skidog5150
I was doing some research on LS1Tech because I'm loosing some coolant and I came across a thread from you, Wes in 2007. You were having to buy a new radiator but were low on cash because you just bought a clutch. LOL.. You have been dealing with this clutch issue for a while. I went with the SPEC 2+. It was cheap, has good drivability and it's good for 782 ft/Ibs of torque. (which I'll never see... LOL)

I hope you finally get it taken care of. Your car is too badass to be embarassed by unwanted noises...

now that's funny stuff... you gotta send me a link to that thread. But yea, this is probably the 6th clutch I've had in the car.

To be honest I've heard SOOOO Many bad things about Spec clutches, I'd probably never go that route. I'm pretty convinced when I swap this one, depending on my mods at the time, I'll probably go Monster or LS7.

as far as my radiator, I ended up getting an expensive *** Be Cool one

No complaints, I like it, nice build quality and is about twice the size of the stocker, so cooling hasn't been an issue.

lemme guess, your stock radiator cracked at the plastic area?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

strange thing about this it my custom six puck clutch had never made nosie, untill the past weekend i put a new motor in my car, my clutch had very little wear so i just put it back together(without new disc or resurfacing anything) and now it make similar (not nearly as loud) noise
maybe the noise has something to with flywheel/pressure plate surfaces??
did yours always make this noise or is this something that just started happening?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
strange thing about this it my custom six puck clutch had never made nosie, untill the past weekend i put a new motor in my car, my clutch had very little wear so i just put it back together(without new disc or resurfacing anything) and now it make similar (not nearly as loud) noise
maybe the noise has something to with flywheel/pressure plate surfaces??
did yours always make this noise or is this something that just started happening?
ummm... i'd say I've had at least 1 clutch in the past make this noise. This particular time it just started after about 7-8k miles on it... It never did it prior.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

they usually start to make noise later on in there life spans... i dont know why i am not an engineer i just know from experience of what i have seen
Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Launching!

hmmm thanks guys, that makes me feel a little better. I just needed a video so everyone could see and confirm what I've been told. I just couldn't comprehend that this would be "normal" for a clutch to do

Ryne, I'll probably eventually spring for one of those Monster Clutches at some point... it's rough seeing as it'll be like my 6th or 7th clutch swap. It's getting old trying to find the right one. Glad you chimed in to ease my nerves on this particular noise...
I feel think that you will have the same problem going from your current clutch to a monster. A monster is just like a Textrellia you will have the same sound. If you dont like how it sounds then drive it hard and so it wont sqeel. A puck clutch is not designed to be feathered, it is a grab and go. If you want something that will take a bit of power then you eather have to pay $1500-3k for a clutch that will hold and not be hard to drive or just learn to drive the car different. You could go with a LS7 setup or learn how to drive the car more aggressive where the clutch wont make that sound.

Like Myself and a few others said multiple times when you first had it in our car two years ago.... It is normal for that type of clutch and especialy when you try and drive it like that and not use it as a performace clutch and abuse it.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

alright... well I think this thread has come to a rock solid conclusion then. I need to beat the **** out of my clutch more often.

Thanks guys!

P.S. CJ... I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do with that flywheel on the mustang... I'll contact you when I have ALL the parts. I'm not in a hurry right at this moment so that's why you haven't heard from me...
Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Default clutch noise

Hi, brand new member to this thread due to you clutch noise and great descriptive video. That is the exact noise my 1969 does. just rebuilt the motor aprox 425hp and not my first time installing a clutch???? I'm going to pull the gearbox and clutch out and do a through inspection. I'll let you know what I find....... however it looks like a week or so before I can get the time, maybe by July 15,2011.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Well with my research, I've talked to a few members with the same problem and a few of them said it was their pilot bearing. They swapped it out and the problem was gone. I'm hoping to pull my tranny in the next month or two and see what I can find. Seems like the time this happened before (many years and clutches back) the needle bearing was toast causing this problem. I had a bronze bushing put in instead and the sound went away until the life of the clutch.

Quick Reply: ****VIDEO**** - Clutch SQUEAL Noise...