Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

custom wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom wiring?

Anyone do custom wiring for my 89 bird, I was thinking of doing an lsx/t56 swap on it but was wondering if any one could wire it up but I dont wanna change out my dash. I want all my stock gauges to work.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
Anyone do custom wiring for my 89 bird, I was thinking of doing an lsx/t56 swap on it but was wondering if any one could wire it up but I dont wanna change out my dash. I want all my stock gauges to work.
I recently wired up a LS1 into a '91 RS and another LS1 into a '72 Camaro. This weekend I'm wiring yet another LS1 into a different 2nd Gen Camaro.

I can do the wiring for you. You can drill and tap the head to screw in the stock 3rd gen temp sensor (I've also read you can use a '98 LS1 temp sensor - haven't verified that). Alt gauge should still work. For the oil pressure gauge, you'll need to use an adaptor to screw the 3rd gen oil pressure sensor into the back of the LS1 block. The tach will work if you buy a Baker Electronics adapter box. For the mechanical speedometer you can buy a signal converter box. Fuel gauge will still work if you retain the stock fuel tank/fuel pump assembly and upgrade the pump.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Me and my bros setup was modified and extended. Stock harnesses and shipped backwithin two weeks. I have the ecm inside my dash. I have a few distribution blocks for power supply. A lot of sodering and shrink wrap lol. A lot of reasearch when I did this few years ago. Evap, fuel pump, and ac wiring was added after to the harness. So I have fully functional gauges and 4th gen dash looks more modern . Still working on finishing the 4th gen interior. Not too sure how the ebay wiring harnesses are but they look pretty simple and neat. (Standalone units) ill be working on two of my friends 3rd gen this summer now that I will have more time to do ls swaps. Check out the ltx lsx subforums on tgo
Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I recently wired up a LS1 into a '91 RS and another LS1 into a '72 Camaro. This weekend I'm wiring yet another LS1 into a different 2nd Gen Camaro.

I can do the wiring for you. You can drill and tap the head to screw in the stock 3rd gen temp sensor (I've also read you can use a '98 LS1 temp sensor - haven't verified that). Alt gauge should still work. For the oil pressure gauge, you'll need to use an adaptor to screw the 3rd gen oil pressure sensor into the back of the LS1 block. The tach will work if you buy a Baker Electronics adapter box. For the mechanical speedometer you can buy a signal converter box. Fuel gauge will still work if you retain the stock fuel tank/fuel pump assembly and upgrade the pump.
cool man well than when I get close to it swapping it in I'll keep you in mind. How much do you charge for something like this? I'm waiting for a deal to go thru and if it does I'm gonna do this swap.

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
Me and my bros setup was modified and extended. Stock harnesses and shipped backwithin two weeks. I have the ecm inside my dash. I have a few distribution blocks for power supply. A lot of sodering and shrink wrap lol. A lot of reasearch when I did this few years ago. Evap, fuel pump, and ac wiring was added after to the harness. So I have fully functional gauges and 4th gen dash looks more modern . Still working on finishing the 4th gen interior. Not too sure how the ebay wiring harnesses are but they look pretty simple and neat. (Standalone units) ill be working on two of my friends 3rd gen this summer now that I will have more time to do ls swaps. Check out the ltx lsx subforums on tgo
you did this with a stock third gen dash? I'm not a fan of the 4th gen dash swaps, plus i dont wanna deal with taking it all apart.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No. I ditched the 3rd gen dash.. never liked it lol. Yea the dash swap is time consuming ..
Old 05-06-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
cool man well than when I get close to it swapping it in I'll keep you in mind. How much do you charge for something like this? I'm waiting for a deal to go thru and if it does I'm gonna do this swap.

you did this with a stock third gen dash? I'm not a fan of the 4th gen dash swaps, plus i dont wanna deal with taking it all apart.
In the '91 RS we installed the 4th Gen gauge cluster into the 3rd Gen dash. Simplest and cheapest method of having functioning gauges.

Using a butane heated knife to trim the gauge cluster cavity.

Gauges in and wired up.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can also make your own overlay for the gauges like this guy did (ramair21):

Old 05-06-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You can also make your own overlay for the gauges like this guy did (ramair21):

looks good, but the firebird interior is different. IDK if that would work.

Quick Reply: custom wiring?