Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally graduated high school

So I graduated yesterday. class of 2010
got my certificate in AUTO BODY
I hope to find a job in a shop an get my associates in auto then my business

but I was pissed off because I couldn't drive my car there since its over heating.

I am not sure why. I put some fans of a 98 malibu since a guy with a camaro sold the one's I was going to get.

well i took of the thermostat to see if it was that since i had gone through 3 160 thermostat.. it helped a bit but still over heats.

I did forget to put the oil cooler, some say its that and some say its not.

do you guys think thats why it goes up in the red, and im scared of using it becuase I don't want to mess up the heads.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the stock temp thermastat in and make sureur air deflector is still there
Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

O and congrats on the diploma
Old 06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
Put the stock temp thermastat in and make sureur air deflector is still there
i did but still the same thing.

air deflector????

thanks man, my old man an my mom were excited to see me graduate
Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dreemurY2K SS
i did but still the same thing.

air deflector????

thanks man, my old man an my mom were excited to see me graduate
Ya its under the front end its what shoves air through the radiator, most people rip em off on speedbumps. I've seen one guy u took it off cause his car was slammed then bitched that it was overheating. Only think else I can think of is an air pocket. The fans turn on right? Otherwise could be something more serious like head gasket.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

congrats, I still feel like HS was yesterday (2006). Now I'm getting my B.S, time flies
Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

stock thermasta is 185 or 190? Either way since the radiator has shitty airflow to begin with its best to have the stock thermastat in so it cycles properly otherwise that thermastat is just going to be wide open without a chance of cooling. Ud need a big *** radiator and a lot of airflow to keep it cool with a 160. Those 3rd gens always ran hot tho due to the stock fan switch.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats I never graduated I dropped out 3 years ago I was sopposed to be class of 09.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Ya its under the front end its what shoves air through the radiator, most people rip em off on speedbumps. I've seen one guy u took it off cause his car was slammed then bitched that it was overheating. Only think else I can think of is an air pocket. The fans turn on right? Otherwise could be something more serious like head gasket.
i doubt its because of that i mean im talking about its running super hot past 220 into the red
stock thermasta is 185 or 190? Either way since the radiator has shitty airflow to begin with its best to have the stock thermastat in so it cycles properly otherwise that thermastat is just going to be wide open without a chance of cooling. Ud need a big *** radiator and a lot of airflow to keep it cool with a 160. Those 3rd gens always ran hot tho due to the stock fan switch.
yeah I have noticed that, do u think the oil cooler has anything to do with this? an u recommend going to 190 since its oem.
Originally Posted by IT_SS
congrats, I still feel like HS was yesterday (2006). Now I'm getting my B.S, time flies
thanks man and it sure does man, 10 years ago my sister graduated same school 2 years later my brother now me
Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
Congrats I never graduated I dropped out 3 years ago I was sopposed to be class of 09.
thanks bro.
for real?? my ex is from 0, I thought you were older, well sounds like your older lol.
getting a ged? i hope to continue with school
Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

shes from class 0? damm shes old lol just messin i had to lol. well depends on what im going to do later but yea i plan on getting the ged soon just to have it. and im 19 but some say i look 20 30 if i dont shave ahahaha.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

i think the stock thermostat is set at 212*F. Why? idk. i think it has to do with emmisions. But like someone previously stated make sure that air dam is there to force the air into the radiator
i had mine running hot cuz my soleniod relay went out. you might want to check that if your fans aren't kicking on.( next to the brake booster)
Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya the reason being the cooling system needs to cycle properly, id definetely recommend running the hott thermastat. And you do have the deflector underneath? And no the oil cooler wouldn't mess it up. Looking at ur setup it looks like ur running higher compression which will cause it to get hotter especially if its running lean. But for now id throw in a 190 and see what she does. this is very common thing where people put in low temp thermastats and don't upgrade the **** outta the coolig system.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh **** I think its actually 195
Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

at what temperature do those fans turn on? upgrading to a aluminum radiator would be another choice.. my old tpi terr set up had so many issues overheating, one time it was my coolant and water mixture. another was my water pump, another was my timing being all wack.. the car always ran at 160* then it over heated one summer and it never ran the same. constantly messing up my distributor control modules due to heat. i stepped into the ls world. lol
Old 06-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Launching!

congrats man, great *** feeling finaly finishing after giving up before and gettin yer **** together..

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
never too late gee, i barely got my ged a few months ago and im 19 too, sucks cause since i fucked up i took some independent learning classes that i bullshitted through haha and now im trying to join the marines and they wont accept my ged since i took independent learning so i gotta go to college and get 15 credits to be considered in ANY branch of the military.. fucc it its all worth it in the end..

just doo ittt never too late, the longer you wait the harder it is to get back on point...
Old 06-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Launching!

congrats on graduating and yes the shrouds missing could cause it to overheat into the red, no proper air flow for cooling...
Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

congrats! now when are you painting my car? lol
Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

anyone else feel old all of the sudden?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FearTheDeer
anyone else feel old all of the sudden?
I don't know about you, but I'm feeling pretty smart right about now.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSGoat
congrats man, great *** feeling finaly finishing after giving up before and gettin yer **** together..

never too late gee, i barely got my ged a few months ago and im 19 too, sucks cause since i fucked up i took some independent learning classes that i bullshitted through haha and now im trying to join the marines and they wont accept my ged since i took independent learning so i gotta go to college and get 15 credits to be considered in ANY branch of the military.. fucc it its all worth it in the end..

just doo ittt never too late, the longer you wait the harder it is to get back on point...
Yea that's what the marines told me. Ill get my ged soon I still remember a lot of the stuff.

Quick Reply: Finally graduated high school