Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

New CA DUI changes as of 7/1/2010!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation New CA DUI changes as of 7/1/2010!!!

First-time and repeat DUI offenders in Alameda, Los Angeles, Sacramento, and Tulare counties must have an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) installed on vehicles they own or operate under a new law that takes effect July 1, 2010.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally a law that makes sense!!! they really need it to take effect in stanislaus county people think it's a joke out there to drink and drive...

do you know where i can find more info on this law?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well about time, I guess if i drink more than 2 beers I am handing over my keys to be on the super safe side.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by beezer1519
finally a law that makes sense!!! they really need it to take effect in stanislaus county people think it's a joke out there to drink and drive...

do you know where i can find more info on this law?
Sure. Let me cut and paste it. It was part of an alert from my DMV App on my iPhone.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Home Page >> Publications >> News >> Ignition Internlock Law Takes Effect July 1
Ignition Interlock Law Takes Effect July 1
Five-year pilot would study effectiveness in selected counties

California Department of Motor Vehicles
Media Relations Office
2415 First Avenue, MS F-122
Sacramento, CA 95818

www.dmv.ca.gov
www.youtube.com/CaliforniaDMV

June 15, 2010

Sacramento –First-time and repeat DUI offenders in Alameda, Los Angeles, Sacramento, and Tulare counties must have an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) installed on vehicles they own or operate under a new law that takes effect July 1, 2010. The law, created through AB 91 (Feuer) calls for a five-year pilot program that runs through Dec. 31, 2015.

“Far too many Californians die needlessly at the hands of a drunk driver,” said DMV Director George Valverde. “This law gives the DMV the opportunity to study the effectiveness of IID devices in California.”

Director Valverde noted that, in 2008 (latest statistics available), 1,355 vehicle occupants were killed and 28,463 injured in an alcohol-involved collision in California. The programming costs of the pilot program are funded by a grant from the state’s Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The new law – passed by the Legislature and signed by Governor Schwarzenegger in 2009 -- prohibits an offender from being issued or reissued a driver license by DMV following a suspension or revocation for any DUI violation in a pilot county that occurs on or after July 1, 2010, until an offender provides proof of IID installation and pays a $45 administrative service fee, in addition to meeting all other reinstatement requirements.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

If you don't know what an IID is,...here you go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmx2...=youtube_gdata
Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Well about time, I guess if i drink more than 2 beers I am handing over my keys to be on the super safe side.
Even 2 beers can be over. I dont know if any of you have played with a breathalyzer, but I know with myself I'm over before I feel 'buzzed'. That can be one beer on an empty stomach, or two if I've just eaten. Just depends... and its different for everyone.

I guess all I'm saying is be careful, the .08 limit is much much less then I expected. I've driven over many times before I actually knew where the limit was, but I would have been able to pass the sobriety tests... except the breathalyzer.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats awsome....
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

i bet theyre easy to bypass... lol
Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
Everyone remember the chick in 40yr old virgin with one of those on her car LOL
Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

lmao.... i just seen that movie for the first time a few weeks ago
Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Awesome, hopefully this divice will stop repeat offenders. But does anyone else think that the "rolling retests" could cause more harm than good? I think it could distract drivers from the road.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
They're really not. When I worked at the dealership, I worked on a Tacoma that had one, It timed out on me while I was doing a EFI service and we had to have towed out/fixed before it was brought back to finish the service. My brother also used to have one is his car and we couldn't get around it without triggering a fault/tampering codes. AND he got his on his first offense in 06, so they've been putting these things on first time offenders in Orange County for some time now....
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
They're really not. When I worked at the dealership, I worked on a Tacoma that had one, It timed out on me while I was doing a EFI service and we had to have towed out/fixed before it was brought back to finish the service. My brother also used to have one is his car and we couldn't get around it without triggering a fault/tampering codes. AND he got his on his first offense in 06, so they've been putting these things on first time offenders in Orange County for some time now....

So there is no way someone else who has not had a single drink could blow into the mouth piece? Or does it require a constant update while you are driving/stopped?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Launching!

even if you can bypass that renting fee for them is not cheap... maybe someone can chime in but i've heard it's over 2k or more to have them installed, then you rent them while they are in your car, then removal...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Not saying this will totally curb drunk driving because no matter what device is placed on a vehicle it won't stop the harden ones. It may impact the low income person who can't afford **** to begin with. Harden repeat offenders who don't give a **** or have to work will get around it by using a friends or family members vehicle causing them grief. It's a start though!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Awesome, hopefully this divice will stop repeat offenders. But does anyone else think that the "rolling retests" could cause more harm than good? I think it could distract drivers from the road.
It's a good point! I'm pretty sure that it gives you some time to do it before it shuts the car down. .... Although, I don't doubt that you'll get a handfull of idiots who even when sober can't multi-task that simple function and crash the car anyways!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
So there is no way someone else who has not had a single drink could blow into the mouth piece? Or does it require a constant update while you are driving/stopped?
Yup!! One needed to start the car and others randomly while driving to keep the car on.

I got a DUI back on November 5, 2009. I learned about these things through my DUI group classes. The new IID models are gonna be a bitch!!!' .... It was implied that the new models will have sensors that are soo sensitive that if your buddy is drunk in the passenger seat, the IID will register what he's exhaling, resulting in the car shutting down. Basically, not only are you not allowed behind the wheel while intoxicated, no one in the car can be wasted either.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Yup!! One needed to start the car and others randomly while driving to keep the car on.

I got a DUI back on November 5, 2009. I learned about these things through my DUI group classes. The new IID models are gonna be a bitch!!!' .... It was implied that the new models will have sensors that are soo sensitive that if your buddy is drunk in the passenger seat, the IID will register what he's exhaling, resulting in the car shutting down. Basically, not only are you not allowed behind the wheel while intoxicated, no one in the car can be wasted either.
So what happens if your drunk buddies give you a call and need a sober ride home?
Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
So what happens if your drunk buddies give you a call and need a sober ride home?
you drive your car there and their car home, or something to that effect.

Quick Reply: New CA DUI changes as of 7/1/2010!!!