Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Clutch Install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Install?

Hi,

My clutch was slipping bad this weekend and it smelled burnt. Anyway, I already purchase Centerforce DF. I will be re-using my old flywheel (resurfaced and rebalanced). I am not sure if I should purchase a new slave cylinder and/or throwout bearing.

Any recommendation on where should I take to get this PITA of a job done? I am kinda low on budget right now, since the CF DF alone cost me $351 shipped.

Also, what is a good price for labor for this sort of install?

Thanks!

Sid.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

If you're still on your stock slave/TO bearing, it wouldn't hurt to change it all now... Imagine a few months from now your slaves goes out... you'd be kicking yourself.

It's not a tough job... if you have the work space, you might want to invite some locals to see if they're willing to help you in exchange for food and alcohol.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do my clutch myself, only takes like 2 or 3 hours. Much cheaper than paying someone. Also, enjoy hating that POS clutch, I have one. Its barely 5000 miles and it can't even hold stock power.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I do my clutch myself, only takes like 2 or 3 hours. Much cheaper than paying someone. Also, enjoy hating that POS clutch, I have one. Its barely 5000 miles and it can't even hold stock power.
Damn, are you serious? I heard good things about it! Should I just get LS7 clutch instead or some cheapo from autozone?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might as well run it if you bought it, maybe you will have better luck then me. I've always heard they were junk but it came with my transmission when I did my swap so I used it.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I always recommend changing the slave while you are installing a new clutch kit. The LS7 clutch kit is a nice set up. Smooth and holds power well.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I always recommend changing the slave while you are installing a new clutch kit. The LS7 clutch kit is a nice set up. Smooth and holds power well.
agreed.
id say chage the poilt bearing as well.
also, if you have the time, space and tools, save yourself the money, and do it yourself with a friend. its actually pretty easy, and id say its somthing that can be done in a day, even if its your first time doing so.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSpeed1
agreed.
id say chage the poilt bearing as well.
also, if you have the time, space and tools, save yourself the money, and do it yourself with a friend. its actually pretty easy, and id say its somthing that can be done in a day, even if its your first time doing so.
One or two of my buddies might be able to help. I am seriously considering to get this done myself. I will replace the slave with LuK and GM OEM throwout bearing.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1

I had that set-up in my M6 SS, and it was sweet! Very nice clutch for the $459 price which includes the LS2 flywheel, LS7 clutch and pressure plate. SDparts.com FTW!!

One thing i still don't understand is how the LS6 clutch combo/flywheel can go for $515 when it is an inferior set-up?

Oh and btw, i did the install in a few hrs in my driveway with the help of flash12t. We just dropped the trans onto my chest, rolled it onto the floor, removed the old stuff, bolted up the new, and lifted the trans back into place together to line up the bolt holes. Bingo complete with zero $$ spent other than lunch.

Last edited by djsanchez2; 09-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tmdz28
One or two of my buddies might be able to help. I am seriously considering to get this done myself. I will replace the slave with LuK and GM OEM throwout bearing.

let's handle it bro, just not this weekend lol my wife will not be happy

-J
Old 09-07-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Make sure you have the proper alignment tool, you can probably rent/buy one at autozone or pepboys. It is a plastic version of the input shaft from the trans, with a ring on the end.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by grngt50
let's handle it bro, just not this weekend lol my wife will not be happy

-J
Thanks dude! I am gonna have to probably wait another 2-3 weeks for the install, since I need to purchase a few "might as well" parts such as the slave cylinder and bearings.

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Make sure you have the proper alignment tool, you can probably rent/buy one at autozone or pepboys. It is a plastic version of the input shaft from the trans, with a ring on the end.
Thanks! Autozone has one for $8, so I am not too worried about that part. Should I buy a refurbished flywheel from autozone or just get my old one resurfaced and rebalanced?

Sid.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Launching!

I emailed Speed Inc to cancel my CF DF order and replace it with LS7 clutch kit combo which includes the flywheel as well. Lets hope that speed inc can do a price match, if not, sdparts.com it is.

I am sold on LS7, consistent good reviews is what I like.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

I emailed Speed Inc to cancel my CF DF order and replace it with LS7 clutch kit combo which includes the flywheel as well. Lets hope that speed inc can do a price match, if not, sdparts.com it is.

I am sold on LS7, consistent good reviews is what I like.
also, get a torque wrench!
torque things to spec to save you a headache.
i have an ls7 setup as well, and so far, no issues what-so-ever.
465whp too.
but no joke, i would highly recomend replacing the poilt bearing. its only like $12 and it could save you from having to pull your tranny again, just for a tiny bearing. i consider it one of those insurance things. much like a slave w/to bearing.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Thanks! I will be replacing the slave and the T/O bearing along with the pilot bearing as well. I am beginning to hate my car already, since I am spending all this money and do not drive it enough to justify it.

EDIT: I guess Speed Inc Price Match program does not match any price when the price is lower than their price. Oh well, I am out $18 to cancel my order with them.

I will be placing my order with sdparts.com sometime this week.

Last edited by tmdz28; 09-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Teching In

i have to put a new clutch in my ws6, i figured i'd comment on this one instead of making a whole new thread....any suggestions, i see you guys like the LS7...ive got the flywheel resurfaced and balanced already, i just need input on which to buy. i need something that won't let me slip the clutch at all. thanks for any help!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fr8Train
i have to put a new clutch in my ws6, i figured i'd comment on this one instead of making a whole new thread....any suggestions, i see you guys like the LS7...ive got the flywheel resurfaced and balanced already, i just need input on which to buy. i need something that won't let me slip the clutch at all. thanks for any help!
The LS7 clutch kit comes with a LS2 flywheel, you can't use a LS1 flywheel with this clutch.
The LS7 clutch kit will drive similar to stock, so you can slip it if you want to. I've been told it holds well to ~450rwhp, but I've never tested it's limits yet.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info ...any insight on a SPEC stage 2+ ?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Launching!

I have read on several occasion to steer clear from SPEC clutches, although I do not have any personal experience with them.

LS7 clutch kit, for $460, comes with the flywheel as stated above, which pretty much eliminate $100 for the need to resurface and rebalance my old flywheel.

So far, the clutch job project will cost close to $650 and that is without labor since I am planning to do this project my self.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read on several occasion to steer clear from SPEC clutches, although I do not have any personal experience with them.

LS7 clutch kit, for $460, comes with the flywheel as stated above, which pretty much eliminate $100 for the need to resurface and rebalance my old flywheel.

So far, the clutch job project will cost close to $650 and that is without labor since I am planning to do this project my self.
with either the centerforce or ls7 clutch kit we suggest you replace your slave/throwout assembly, and at least install a .112" shim behind the slave, or install a aftermarket master like the tick performance.

Quick Reply: Clutch Install?