Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Socal Trucks! Nelson Performance/Project R Track/Tune Day idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_silverado
kick ***.... so you gonna make it to the track for this get together???
I'm sure as hell going to try. I've already told the wife about it, now I need the $375. If it's in April or May is shouldn't be a problem UNLESS it's around the 3rd of April, wife is already out of town or around May 11th, her birthday.
She doesn't quite understand the whole "I want to mod my truck" thing but she just grins and shakes her head. The directions said 415 miles and 7 hours but I figured more like 6 hours. I've driven to San Diego quite a bit to see family and I can make it to the LA side of the Grape Vine past Magic Mountain in 5.5 hours driving only about 78 mph and taking it easy. I will probably do it all in one day, drive down, get tuned and play, then drive back.
Jim
Old 01-30-2004, 12:38 PM
14 Second Truck Club

there are plenty of places to stay the night there in ontario, there is an airport by the track if i remember correctly...
Old 01-30-2004, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Y2K Silverado
I'm sure as hell going to try. I've already told the wife about it, now I need the $375. If it's in April or May is shouldn't be a problem UNLESS it's around the 3rd of April, wife is already out of town or around May 11th, her birthday.
She doesn't quite understand the whole "I want to mod my truck" thing but she just grins and shakes her head. The directions said 415 miles and 7 hours but I figured more like 6 hours. I've driven to San Diego quite a bit to see family and I can make it to the LA side of the Grape Vine past Magic Mountain in 5.5 hours driving only about 78 mph and taking it easy. I will probably do it all in one day, drive down, get tuned and play, then drive back.
Jim
Im up in Fairfield and plan on going to the meet for the day and coming back that night. I also have a couple other friends that want to go. Maybe we can all get together and drive down in a group.
Paul
Old 01-30-2004, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by BLK6.0HD
Im up in Fairfield and plan on going to the meet for the day and coming back that night. I also have a couple other friends that want to go. Maybe we can all get together and drive down in a group.
Paul
Works for me.
Jim
Old 01-30-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Y2K Silverado
CHOP She doesn't quite understand the whole "I want to mod my truck" thing but she just grins and shakes her head. CHOP

LOL sounds kinda like women's fetish with shoes in every style and color imaginable... but "I can only wear those shoes with this dress..." riiiiiight and you wear it once every two years...
Old 01-30-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
LOL sounds kinda like women's fetish with shoes in every style and color imaginable... but "I can only wear those shoes with this dress..." riiiiiight and you wear it once every two years...
I'm pretty lucky actually, she doesn't buy much for herself at all. I've flat told her, when we can afford, I will buy something for my truck and not feel guilty about it. I have to tell her to get something if she wwants it, my only rule (our rule) is cash, period. If you have to charge it, I don't care if it's 10 cents, no charging. If it's $500 and you can write a check, buy it, I don't care. We have two kids in college and the youngest is in private junior high, so A LOT of our money is for tuition right now. We still make our bills, put money in our retirement accounts and our savings accounts, we eat and go places but it's still tight at times. When we get the kids off the pay roll, maybe I can get more!
Jim
Old 01-30-2004, 07:24 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Yeah......I was thinking www.famosoraceway.com

This is where the pros test and tune pre season. NICE TRACK!
i live in bakersfield, Famoso is a great track to race at.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by pewter01SS
i live in bakersfield, Famoso is a great track to race at.
Is Bakersfiled closer for us Northern California guys?
Jim
Old 01-31-2004, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

I'm in for drag racing I think I will keep the tuning to myself though...or i could set it back to stock and let them try to figure out the intercooler lol.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:12 AM
14 Second Truck Club

hey ryan... i could meet you in phoenix... then we could head out from there....
Old 02-01-2004, 04:20 AM
TECH Addict

That sounds good to me
Old 02-01-2004, 09:50 AM
14 Second Truck Club

so is this planned for May now?
Old 02-04-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Are us car guys welcome to come and just put down some times? What would the charge be to just come and race for the day?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

so whats the word on this?
Old 02-17-2004, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

im more than willing to go out for this still. im probably going to buy a nelson tune before may, but i would still like to go get it looked at in person and chances are i will need a reprogram for new mods by then
Old 02-17-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

You know I'm surprised that no one has suggested a dyno day? For a flat rate you can rent a dyno for the whole day. With that you get 2-3 pulls to get a baseline, and your map loaded on to see a before and after comparison. Then if time allows custom tuning per truck if so desired (price worked out with the tuner)

I'm coming from an import car and this was a very common practice with renowned tuners traveling and reprogramming factory computers and/or aftermarket computers.

I think that last thing I paid was the split dyno cost + $100/hour for tuning + the license for the tune. With this I got a dyno chart, A/F chart and the numbers to justify my purchase.

The price goes down with the amount of cars that participate in the dyno day. Up to 10 cars can be strapped down and baseline before and after runs can be done in an 8 hour day. If any one car has extra modifications that he/she would like then he would pay more in terms of dyno time and tuners time.

But again this is what Subaru WRX guys would do in renting dyno time and a tuners time. I'm a newbie when it comes to chevy performance.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

One more thing is that you need to work out with the tuner a specific date. If you keep listening to people to push things back another month because they dont have the time or money, it will never happen. How many times have I been through a "dyno day," for it to fall through because of poor planning or people falling through.

Good luck on what ever you guys decide.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

by any chance did u go to the Dyno shop in santee i think?
Old 02-20-2004, 11:00 AM
14 Second Truck Club

i'm hoping this is still up for May... hoping, hoping, hoping.......
Old 02-20-2004, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by onyx_silverado
i'm hoping this is still up for May... hoping, hoping, hoping.......
Yeah! Is there a confirmed date for this thing yet? How about a little group discount for all who show up, some of us are driving a pretty good distance to get there.
Jim

Quick Reply: Socal Trucks! Nelson Performance/Project R Track/Tune Day idea