Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

New smog test for 2011?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully the "pass when you pay" place I use will come down in price or won't be necessary.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finished my smog class today and was talking to the Referee who teaches the class and asked him about tricking monitors into passing(didn't mention much detail, he knows my background and is cool with it) and went on to say that the smog database will notice calibration I.D. changes, and fail car's based on that. I don't have much experience on a smog dyno but he said anything altered (HP tuners) will be noticed and fail, reguardless of all monitors completed. No bueno.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
So I finished my smog class today and was talking to the Referee who teaches the class and asked him about tricking monitors into passing(didn't mention much detail, he knows my background and is cool with it) and went on to say that the smog database will notice calibration I.D. changes, and fail car's based on that. I don't have much experience on a smog dyno but he said anything altered (HP tuners) will be noticed and fail, reguardless of all monitors completed. No bueno.
Thats what I figured. Sucks *****.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

I read the entire AB2289 bill and it does not go into exact detail about the OBD II testing procedures themselves. Also, I couldn't find anything on the BAR website itself.

How would the scan be able to detect calibration changes through OBDII without having proprietary software from the car manufacturers? What if the dealer reflashed someones ECM and the original ID changes? I don't know enough about HP Tuners to know if it generates a completely different calibration ID from what a Tech2 would. Can anyone confirm this? Or is possible to mask the ID with a different one as to not flag the smog computer.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Im feeling a lot better that my car is a 99 now. Too bad for all those guys on pg 1 who's bubble just got burst. All we can do now is wait with crossed fingers.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

You also will have to have all monitors completed, right now I believe 1 can be incomplete. Also everything obd1 has to be smogged every year.

So does this mean the sweet spot for modified cars will be 96-99?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by F-BodyMind
Im feeling a lot better that my car is a 99 now. Too bad for all those guys on pg 1 who's bubble just got burst. All we can do now is wait with crossed fingers.
Lol. I tried warning them. CA will never be "easier" on us with smog. Only stricter and stupider.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Launching!

that doesnt make any sense at all... cuz what about this say you have a procharger kit that is CARB legal... once you retune it your saying that its not gonna pass because of the tune???? looks like we need more info
Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blades11b
that doesnt make any sense at all... cuz what about this say you have a procharger kit that is CARB legal... once you retune it your saying that its not gonna pass because of the tune???? looks like we need more info
Yup. Thats their aim, no more modded cars, period. Thats what they really want to do. Also making everyone buy a newer car is in their agenda as well. Doesnt look good for the future. Modding will soon be limited to better batteries for your nissan leaf! Lol.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Smog out here as well as a few other things is making me seriously consider living in a completely different state. ... Everytime I see those commercials that advertise California with A-list celebs, I need to change the channel. It makes me pretty upset.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am sorry but he is talking about of his ***, there is no way a state agency computer system is going to put in the know how and time for every car out there to be able to see Calibration ID changes... the calibration ID on the hptuners will likely come up the same, the only system that can tell the difference will be a tech2 or similar (GM)
Old 11-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I don't know much but I think Ryne is right..LOL. I don't see how the computer scan will see these things. They are scanning 1000's of cars with the same scanner, I don't see how they will know the parameters are changed..
Old 11-19-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by F-BodyMind
So does this mean the sweet spot for modified cars will be 96-99?
x2 ?????
Old 11-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
i am sorry but he is talking about of his ***, there is no way a state agency computer system is going to put in the know how and time for every car out there to be able to see Calibration ID changes... the calibration ID on the hptuners will likely come up the same, the only system that can tell the difference will be a tech2 or similar (GM)
thank you.. im not a tuner but thats exactly what i was thinking... i suppose we will see once the hammer is dropped...
Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

OBDI FTL..... Moving to Washington in a few months FTW!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
He said it's a new software database that's going to be connected across the country. I had the same questions, but he assured me that's how it's going down. They are re-vamping the entire smog program, A LOT is changing.....
I'll have to see it to believe it, but this guy is a connected source.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 AM
10 Second Club

chaffey college?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Until the BAR and the state release the actual test guidelines, this is all speculation at this point. And Im sure that things stated now in the bill could even be amended as it gets closer to the enforcement date in 2013.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The calibration id's stay the same, but the CVN/checksums change...

Do you know if they're comparing to the original OEM CVN's, or are they comparing CVN's from successive/previous tests...?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

You aint seen nothing yet, wait until AB32 starts to kick in.

Once my neighbor sells his house, I'll sell mine, the day we are
driving away with a full moving van of our belongings, will be one of the happiest days of my life.

It will be nice to move into a state where I can do what-ever-**** I want
to do to with my own cars.

Hopefully California won't fall into the ocean before we are out of here.

Quick Reply: New smog test for 2011?!