Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

lsx swap into a 73 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lsx swap into a 73 camaro

Since i have a new deag car and my ls1 is sold..Im debating if i wanna swap a lsx motor i have into my 73 camaro...WHO has actually done the swap into any classic? Any cheap tricks? Suck as using a gm pan to clear? Certain headers that might clear? Can i run all my autometer guages?fuel system..i usually just jump into **** put this time i might think it out...plus im getting tired of these ******* ******. Trying to act hard in there slow pos street cars...
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the conversion and hybrids section. Many have done it, including myself. Start with SBC-LS1 conversion plates from hooker, carshop, etc.. and do some research for the correct headers. When I did mine, there werent any good headers available, so i made my own, but swapping is cake work now.. If your car's front steer, the stock f-body pan will work depending on mounts. GMPP makes a muscle car pan that's supposed to fit if you have a rear steer, but I haven't seen it firsthand. Autometer gauges can be run off the PCM (tach, speedo) I used electronic sender gauges from autometer for oil pressure (tap into the pressure tree above the oil filter), water temp (tap into the pass side head) voltage (obvious) and for the fuel level just get a gauge that works with the stock sending unit. A walbro 255 will provide enough fuel, a '99 corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter will provide an easy, returnless setup on the cheap. Do some research, all the info's out there.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCALMUSCLE1
Since i have a new deag car and my ls1 is sold..Im debating if i wanna swap a lsx motor i have into my 73 camaro...WHO has actually done the swap into any classic? Any cheap tricks? Suck as using a gm pan to clear? Certain headers that might clear? Can i run all my autometer guages?fuel system..i usually just jump into **** put this time i might think it out...plus im getting tired of these ******* ******. Trying to act hard in there slow pos street cars...
A buddy and I swapped a H/C/I/E LS1 into his '72. It came out real nice, and the fact that we stripped everything out and had it on slicks and skinnies, it was FAST.

I am also in the process of wiring up another LS1/4L60E in a '73 Camaro.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

I have done a first, second and now a third Gen Camaro swap. Ss.slp.ls1 helps with building harnesses for them. Pm if you need help or somewhere to send it. I also have second gen ls1 engine mounts, auto crossmember, custom length drive shaft, custom ceramic long tubes with X, bullets and dumps I'd sell...
Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

if you do go throught with the swap i would say document everything with photos and then post them all on a new thread when its all done maybe even with a video.