Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

State ref question (PIC OF TICKET INCLUDED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks! Just pay the fine. This is why I enjoy visiting Cali but not living there; I can give the cops a Blow me with my loud exaust and Arizona plates.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XTNCTTA
That sucks! Just pay the fine. This is why I enjoy visiting Cali but not living there; I can give the cops a Blow me with my loud exaust and Arizona plates.
im still getting conflicting reports.. some say you can pay the fine and be done with it, some say you can pay a fine but your car will still be flagged, and some say you cant pay a fine....

is there anyone who has dealt with a state ref ticket in the very recent past. i know the state ref program was shut down in like 08, but since its been back has anyone actually dealt with this??
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

i got one in 09..i just paid the fine in payments to oc courts...went to court in fullerton cost me 471.00
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

I got one a few years back. Couldn't afford the fine. Spent a day changing my engine and got it signed off for $80 through the ref. Didn't want to chance any future problems w smog and being tagged as a polluter... I know that doesn't answer your question but, I though you were in w the pd. Why don't you ask them. We can only speak from experience on here and you're gonna waist four pages with no answers.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

lol thanks for the input guys.. lets try to ask it this way

does the car get flagged as a gross polluter after the fine is paid, or does the person driving the car get there license flagged for driving the car.

im asking it this way because people are saying the fine goes up each time you get pulled over. so in essence the license would have to be flagged and not the car right??

smh eff ca smog laws
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE:

just found out the chp officer did not make him pop the hood, nor did he look under the car. he wrote the "modified emissions" ticket off of sound.. so if we contest the ticket (and show the court that the car was smoged a week earlier), shouldnt we at least be able to get the ticket reduced to a loud exhaust ticket which is a fix it ticket, seeing as the cop has no proof that the emission are modified, i know that cops think they are smart but i think it would be pretty hard to tell the difference between modified emissions and lets say a one chamber exhaust by obly going off of sound... just my thoughts...

anyone else think we have a good case?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

chevyrunner;
What city did this occur in please?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
chevyrunner;
What city did this occur in please?
los angeles
Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevyrunner
los angeles
Many thanks, just curious for my own benefit. Hope that all works well with your son's ticket.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

i got a ref ticket on my srt for no cat. Went to the judge on the court date he asked me if i fixed the issue, i said yes and he gave me a $10 fine. I got really lucky. Your buddy can just pay the fine i think its like $1200. He could always try the transfering deal and go to the court and tell judge that car is gone, nothing to fix. But i am unsure of the registration status on the car after that, if the ref stays with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Teching In

It's simple..ive had a handful.. you can pay the fine.. You can make it pass legit.. You can sell it( do not transfer it to a family member will not work) Actually sell it to someone else. That will lower the fine but you'll still pay...

THE SHITTY PART IS IF YOUR CAUGHT DRIVING THE CAR AGAIN BASICALLY SAYING **** THE POLICE..THEY CAN ARREST YOU.. I have a friend right now who was arressted for it...

P.S Buy a OLD SCHOOL..CASE CLOSED.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope ref tickets don't stay on the cars registration
a title transfer works perfectly for getting out of ref tickets
Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

if you contest, you still have to pay the fine. If you win, you get reimbursed, if you lose, you get extra fines. CA is HUNGRY right now, if the fine can be easily paid, then go for it
Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCALMUSCLE1
It's simple..ive had a handful.. you can pay the fine.. You can make it pass legit.. You can sell it( do not transfer it to a family member will not work) Actually sell it to someone else. That will lower the fine but you'll still pay...

THE SHITTY PART IS IF YOUR CAUGHT DRIVING THE CAR AGAIN BASICALLY SAYING **** THE POLICE..THEY CAN ARREST YOU.. I have a friend right now who was arressted for it...

P.S Buy a OLD SCHOOL..CASE CLOSED.
so if you pay the fine and get pulled over again with the same mods on the car, you get arrested?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

paying the fine takes care of everything? or the car will still me marked and not allowed to register
Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chevyrunner
paying the fine takes care of everything? or the car will still me marked and not allowed to register
just paying the fine takes it away. cali doesnt care if you fix the car they just want to get paid.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
so if you pay the fine and get pulled over again with the same mods on the car, you get arrested?
YUP... Depends if the cops a dick..

TRUE STORY NO BULLSHIT.. There a local cop who hated alot of us due to younger street racing days..Has pictures of our vehicles etc etc. Well he just been busted again and they arrested him for the tinted windows because his been told to fix them prior by the same officer 5 years ago.. He will be okay tho, found some loop holes like always
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NORCALMUSCLE1
YUP... Depends if the cops a dick..

TRUE STORY NO BULLSHIT.. There a local cop who hated alot of us due to younger street racing days..Has pictures of our vehicles etc etc. Well he just been busted again and they arrested him for the tinted windows because his been told to fix them prior by the same officer 5 years ago.. He will be okay tho, found some loop holes like always
so that only applies if you are pulled over by the same cop right? if a different cop or different agency pulled you over how would they know you had been cited for a state ref ticket if youve paid the fine
Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Pay the fine and your good. They won't know its tagged cus once the fine is payed its all clear. Just like fix it tickets or exhaust and such
Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
just paying the fine takes it away. cali doesnt care if you fix the car they just want to get paid.
this...

Quick Reply: State ref question (PIC OF TICKET INCLUDED)