Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

State ref question (PIC OF TICKET INCLUDED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyrunner
so that only applies if you are pulled over by the same cop right? if a different cop or different agency pulled you over how would they know you had been cited for a state ref ticket if youve paid the fine
Na, I doubt that .. Ive had been pulled over 100 miles away from my hometown before and the cop told me my car was ref'd before. But honestly I just keep it cool and tell them straight up it's modded But I have gutted cats. Usually cops only care about Cats. Im pretty sure they can pull info on the car if they really wanted TOO..
Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a modified exhaust ticket, very similar to this. I had essentially a Bassani true dual catback marked as 50 state legal. Took the Bassani catback and got it tested. Obviously, it failed. Threw on a stock catback, and it passed. It was $108 to get the noise certification done late last year. You can probably get an extension on the ticket if you check online.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have had this ticket twice.... both times just paid the fine... my car was "flagged" or anything
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats retarded. I mean Im glad you guys can just pay a fine and thats the end of it. But you cant tell me they honestly care about saving the planet... or they would MAKE you 'fix' it.

Originally Posted by chevystyle
Sorry to hear about the trouble. I got ticketed for loud exhaust from a city cop. He said it was too loud.
I got the 411 on what to do by the CHP. I had to go to a state ref and get it tested to see if it was too loud. It wasn't loud. The state refs can wright off the ticket than I just went and paid the fine. Not much help, but I hope it helps.
Why the HELL would you have to pay a fine for something thats not wrong with the car? lol. Thats like being pulled over for not speeding and having to pay a fine.

Im just waiting for this garbage to spill over to NV. Heard a local talking about them starting a new smog truck that drives around and can pull you over if your exhaust set the sensor off. They supposedly then test you on the side of the road via the tail pipe... Not the OBD2 test which is all we currently have to pass.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Teching In

transferring the title will not get you out of paying the fines. i've had this issue before. in most cases you can just pay the fine and you'll be good to go. i don't know about the truth about cars being "flagged". hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NORCALMUSCLE1
YUP... Depends if the cops a dick..

TRUE STORY NO BULLSHIT.. There a local cop who hated alot of us due to younger street racing days..Has pictures of our vehicles etc etc. Well he just been busted again and they arrested him for the tinted windows because his been told to fix them prior by the same officer 5 years ago.. He will be okay tho, found some loop holes like always
LOL....you can't be arrested for an infraction which is what all equipment violations are (ie: exhaust, tint, no front plate, etc.)

He probably was arrested because he was "told" to fix it (ticket) didn't fix it (didnt go to court) and had a warrant for failure to appear.

its really up to the court to decide what they want to do. the court can be totally cool and say ok its fixed? pay 25 bucks. or he can be strict and say pay the max fine or get it "refed".

Also, officers do not need to pop your hood to "ref" you. In order to "ref" they need to be certified. Not all police officers can ref. As long as an officer who is certified to ref can articulate why he reffed you, he doesnt need to pop your hood.

Don't blame the police, they didn't make the laws, your politians did. They just enforce the law.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by H8VTEC
LOL....you can't be arrested for an infraction which is what all equipment violations are (ie: exhaust, tint, no front plate, etc.)

He probably was arrested because he was "told" to fix it (ticket) didn't fix it (didnt go to court) and had a warrant for failure to appear.

its really up to the court to decide what they want to do. the court can be totally cool and say ok its fixed? pay 25 bucks. or he can be strict and say pay the max fine or get it "refed".

Also, officers do not need to pop your hood to "ref" you. In order to "ref" they need to be certified. Not all police officers can ref. As long as an officer who is certified to ref can articulate why he reffed you, he doesnt need to pop your hood.

Don't blame the police, they didn't make the laws, your politians did. They just enforce the law.
NEGATIVE ..he didn't have a warrant and YES He Fixed it and Put it back on. A year later He was stopped by the same officer and This time was sent to jail because of it. No it was NOT a FAILURE TO APPEAR! Im not complaining about state ref tickets nor the police. Your full of yourself.. Ive seen all kinds of officers POP HOODS around NORTHERN CALIFORNIA or MAJORITY OF THEM LOOK FOR CATS. Majority of state refs are for removing smog equipment such as headers or cats, Because every officer knows what one is.. I Drove around town with long tubes Ms4 nitrous etc etc and NEVER been refD. Everytime they looked for cats they found them. Then I was on my way.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

You know the system is corrupt when the reason they give for having the law in the first place is given a monetary bypass. The only thing keeping those laws alive are the people who take the bypass rather than fight to remove the bypass. People aren't going to vote such laws out of the books until they're forced to, and that means getting rid of the "easier" way out.

I'd say i'm glad i dont live in california but the NE isn't much better.

Quick Reply: State ref question (PIC OF TICKET INCLUDED)