Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CA out of state registration.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default CA out of state registration.

I got out of the military and stayed in Cali.

Car is CA smoged and now im going to go to the DMV next week to register it with a california plate.

Do they really normally do a visual inspection on the car?

Have any of you done this in person? I've read the DMV website on out of state registration and i'm still unclear on this..

Thanks !
Old 04-02-2011, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through AAA. I bought my car in Arizona and drove it back. All they checked was the VIN's, mileage, and underhood stickers(the ones on the drivers fender).
Old 04-02-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea to be on the safe side go to aaa, you dont want some idiot at the dmv having a bad day to send you to the ref because he/she sees something fishy / or just being a dick
Old 04-03-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
yea to be on the safe side go to aaa, you dont want some idiot at the dmv having a bad day to send you to the ref because he/she sees something fishy / or just being a dick
Ohh do I need a AAA membership?

Do they give me paperwork or just the whole registration through them?

My car has been repainted and doesnt have the under the hood sticker anymore.

Thanks for the Replies guys!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

Get the sticker remade etc or I think you can order them through the dealership? You have to become member but its like 50 bucks and they'll take car of everything.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oChristiano
Get the sticker remade etc or I think you can order them through the dealership? You have to become member but its like 50 bucks and they'll take car of everything.

I dont even recall what was on the under the hood stickers. I think one had a belt diagram on it.

What sticker do I need?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the one that has the vin# on as well as all the emission info crap probable like 1.5x4" in diameter
i know one of the sponsors here sells them, i think emblem pros comes to mind
Old 06-15-2011, 05:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump this back up..

Does anyone know if the Vehicle emissions sticker is VIN consistent or universal for that years make/model?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All they do is check the vin you will be fine. I had to bring my Grand National from out of state to them and it had lots of underhood mods they just want to make sure it has the correct vin and look at the mileage. I also have never heard of the people that do those checks ever send anyone to a ref its not there job to know cars thats why you go to get a smog inspection.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

They check several vins on the body if it looks fishy or they dont match they send you to chp
Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fiance just registered her car from out of state at AAA and they check your VIN and the Emissions sticker under the hood.

I ended up ordering this sticker from a Gm dealer online. $15 sticker with $20 shipping.. lame..
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
They check several vins on the body if it looks fishy or they dont match they send you to chp
I went through this with the DMV. I guess she never saw a GTO because their VINS are engraved on a metal plate. She said I needed to go to the CHP. I thought I was screwed because my car has L/T and a cam. It did pass smog. I called AAA but they couldn't do it because the car was originally registered in Arizona. I went to an independent registration office and she just took a quick look and didn't question my VIN Number. All the VINS on the car matched. The next day I got my plates and registration.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gmantheman
I went through this with the DMV. I guess she never saw a GTO because their VINS are engraved on a metal plate. She said I needed to go to the CHP. I thought I was screwed because my car has L/T and a cam. It did pass smog. I called AAA but they couldn't do it because the car was originally registered in Arizona. I went to an independent registration office and she just took a quick look and didn't question my VIN Number. All the VINS on the car matched. The next day I got my plates and registration.
That'd odd, when they send you to CHP do they mark it in the system or is it just a referral? Meaning If one place doesn't do it keep going around till someone does?

Last edited by KrisXpc; 07-03-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vr-4 came from MD and I had to take it to the DMV (could go AAA) and they did a quick, simple check to be sure the VIN(s) matches and IIRC, checked things like taillights and turn signals. I don't recall them going deep into the inspection. In fact, mine was obviously modified (SS intercooler piping, cone filter, etc.) and they didn't look twice at it and didn't check for any emissions' devices and whatnot. Guess they figure that is what the smog station is for, maybe.

One requirement they have is the car has to have 7,500 miles, but otherwise, they didn't seem to be really particular on anything else, provided the documentation (out of state title/reg) was clean and the car looked like it was OK for the road. However, I'm sure there are a lot of jalopies they let go thru...
Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So everything stated is correct. AAA did my inspection and registration today.

A quick vin, door vin, odom and Emissions sticker under the hood and I was on my way.

Nitrous lines galor, procharger plenum long tubes and all.. I don't think the lady was even instructed to look for modifications. Chances are it was because of the smog.

The Flipping smog shop added 100k to my odom reading.. they put 185k rather than 85k... No idea how im going to fix this..
Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
So everything stated is correct. AAA did my inspection and registration today.

A quick vin, door vin, odom and Emissions sticker under the hood and I was on my way.

Nitrous lines galor, procharger plenum long tubes and all.. I don't think the lady was even instructed to look for modifications. Chances are it was because of the smog.

The Flipping smog shop added 100k to my odom reading.. they put 185k rather than 85k... No idea how im going to fix this..
What was the DMV registrationg fee?
what was the AAA fee for registration?

I ask because I was told that the fee is equal to the appraised sales tax of the car plus the annual fee.

thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BackInBlack02
What was the DMV registrationg fee?
what was the AAA fee for registration?

I ask because I was told that the fee is equal to the appraised sales tax of the car plus the annual fee.

thanks.
Maybe for DMV. If your a Triple A member its part of member services and free. Triple A membership is 50 bucks for base a year. You will have to pay sales tax if your registering it into your name. If your just transferring to CA from another state I don't believe you need to pay CA sales tax.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Maybe for DMV. If your a Triple A member its part of member services and free. Triple A membership is 50 bucks for base a year. You will have to pay sales tax if your registering it into your name. If your just transferring to CA from another state I don't believe you need to pay CA sales tax.
thanks but that's why i'm asking someone who did register from another state to find out what the fees were. I get a lot of mixed answers just like yours.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BackInBlack02
thanks but that's why i'm asking someone who did register from another state to find out what the fees were. I get a lot of mixed answers just like yours.
You could always go into your local triple a and ask if your a member already. I had to pay ca sales tax because I was transferring it into my name. I don't believe you'd pay sales tax just to transferout of state title to ca since.you didn't buy anything.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

You could always go into your local triple a and ask if your a member already. I had to pay ca sales tax because I was transferring it into my name. I don't believe you'd pay sales tax just to transferout of state title to ca since.you didn't buy anything.
I'm not a AAA member but considering it. The sales tax fees are there for out of state registration, its what the DMV said, I know I shouldn't pay sales tax unless I'm buying but when does anything governed by this state make any sense??? If they can squeeze fees out of you, they will, and they're still be broke.

Quick Reply: CA out of state registration.