Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Cops Down Load Cell Phone Data on Traffic Stops

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cops Down Load Cell Phone Data on Traffic Stops

Read this crap...What happened to Americans standing up for themselves?

This is total bullshit
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops ACLU seeks information on Michigan program that allows cops to download information from smart phones belonging to stopped motorists. The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program. ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680. The ACLU found the charge outrageous. "Law enforcement officers are known, on occasion, to encourage citizens to cooperate if they have nothing to hide," ACLU staff attorney Mark P. Fancher wrote. "No less should be expected of law enforcement, and the Michigan State Police should be willing to assuage concerns that these powerful extraction devices are being used illegally by honoring our requests for cooperation and disclosure." A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections. "Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags," a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. "The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps." The ACLU is concerned that these powerful capabilities are being quietly used to bypass Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches. "With certain exceptions that do not apply here, a search cannot occur without a warrant in which audicial officer determines that there is probable cause to believe that the search will yield evidence of criminal activity," Fancher wrote. "A device that allows immediate, surreptitious intrusion into private data creates enormous risks that troopers will ignore these requirements to the detriment of the constitutional rights of persons whose cell phones are searched." The national ACLU is currently suing the Department of Homeland Security for its policy of warrantless electronic searches of laptops and cell phones belonging to people entering the country who are not suspected of committing any crime. Another link. http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnew...traffic-stops/
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is f***ing bullshit. What the hell cops, seriously, what the hell?!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

That is a clear violation of a US citizens right's. Oh darn officer, I left my cell at home...
Old 04-24-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by projectX
That is a clear violation of a US citizens right's. Oh darn officer, I left my cell at home...
haha, +1
Old 04-25-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for what reason would they ever need to search your phone? ******* stupid
Old 04-25-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember the Supreme Court ruling on this back in like January. According to them electronic devices can be searched without a warrant or probable cause. The Supreme Court has always been about 10 years behind the times when it comes to electronic devices. If I got stopped in Michigan I would turn off my phone, hide it, say I didn't have one and then, if the officer wanted to search my car, I'd ask for a warrant. But that's just me....
Old 04-25-2011, 05:25 AM
Teching In

wow, this is outrageous! major violation of personal privacy
Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

It's about time we take or country back like Egypt did.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, I can understand asking for the phone records if theres an accident and they want to see if the person was driving and texting / or on the phone. But thats just insane.

From the ruling it sounds like you are not obligated to cooperate though. But im sure that would just make them pissed off.

What are they really expecting to find, thats related to the traffic stop??
Old 04-25-2011, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

I live in MI and haven't had it happen yet but if they ask for my phone I'll make sure I take a pic of my @ss and use it for a screen saver then lock my phone so they have to look at it for a minute.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great just as Im getting ready to move back there...
Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

if i were a cop and had this
i'd deff be searchin for girls nudies
hahaha
Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

OK.

I read the main post - and in what situation can your coppers take that data? Randomly? I highly doubt that.

After arrested? Maybe. At which point - I still don't think it's justified, unless it's involving drugs / dealers. Because their phones contain their business.

Crazy stuff - but I think there is more to it than simply stopping people and searching their phones.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Then throw in the fact you may have a work phone...

Never say "yes" is my motto.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Mental note, ditch battery, sim card and Micro SD before cop gets to the window Better yet, don't ever go to michigan
Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just have your cel locked.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Teching In

jackasses.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

thats getting pretty common out here...specially if u have ANY little crimminal history its "standard search policy" now it seems like in socal...they nose thru ur fone see if they can find anything to further and investigation...theres officers who are memebers here in the WC regional forum maybe they could chime in and explain the reason??

Quick Reply: Cops Down Load Cell Phone Data on Traffic Stops