Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Albuquerque exhaust cutout fine

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Albuquerque exhaust cutout fine

Hello,

I just bought a 2001 Z28 and it has a cutout that bypasses the stock muffler. It's not that loud unless I'm going WOT just bassy. I read the city ordinance about modified exhaust systems and know that it is illegal to have any kind of work that deviates from the factory exhaust. But I see tons of people in muscle and rice cars driving around town. Has anyone (in Albuquerque) ever been pulled over and fined strictly for the noise? I know if you get pulled over for some other violation and you **** the cop off they will prolly tack on the fine for the exhaust. I'd just like to know if people get pulled over just because of the noise.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome.

If you're looking for experiences within your particular city, there are regional forums at the bottom of the page where you can direct this question at people that live near you. might try posting there.

As for my experiences with a cutout ( or dual cutouts in my case) laws around here say that any modification of the exhaust is illegal, but its definitely not enforced. A good way to look at it is this, If you are already driving like a moron, the cops will probably say something about it. but ive never seen or heard of any getting pulled over ONLY for an exhaust, but it does bring in more attention.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Red. Sorry, still new to forums and didn't realize that there were regional-specific posts.
As for your answer you pretty much confirmed my assumptions. There are plenty of people driving modified vehicles here in town and I never see cops messing with them. I figure as long as I don't drive like an idiot I should be ok. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Quick Reply: Albuquerque exhaust cutout fine