Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Hey everybody

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey everybody

Hey everybody, not sure how many here remember me. I'm more active on LS1.com, can't remember if I ever had an account here, but thought I'd join.

For those who don't know or remember me, I have a supercharged 3.8L V6. Someday I'd like to put a V8 in there, but for now I make do. It's an ongoing battle - do I get a new Camaro or do some stuff to this one? I just really like the body style of the 93-97 Camaros. On one hand I'd love all the goodies of a new car, but on the other hand for the same amount of money I could overhaul this one and make it just the way I want. Then again... how long is it gonna be until that happens? Well,... as you can see I'll be discussing this in my head for the next ten years.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You out of Sacramento? I remember running a supercharged 6 Camaro in my red 2002 Silverado.

Depending on how clean your (I assume) F-Body is would be the deciding factor for me. I've got a friend who can't stop buying beat up EG Civics to save his life. It all seems good until he figures out it's going to cost him $10,000 to get the paint, body work, interior ect back to decent condition.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
You out of Sacramento? I remember running a supercharged 6 Camaro in my red 2002 Silverado.

Depending on how clean your (I assume) F-Body is would be the deciding factor for me. I've got a friend who can't stop buying beat up EG Civics to save his life. It all seems good until he figures out it's going to cost him $10,000 to get the paint, body work, interior ect back to decent condition.
I'm in Orange County, so that probably wasn't me. There's a picture of my car in my profile gallery thingamajig. It's a 3.8L V6 Camaro. If there's San Diego people here, they'll probably remember me a little since I used to be out there in my active F-body days a few years back.

I figure a new Camaro would cost at least $25,000, and I figure I'd spend less than that putting this one into shape just the way I want it. Either way it's going to take a while to accomplish, but it's possible. The question is, how patient will I be? We'll see what happens.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Looks like a nice car. Welcome.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for putting up the photo.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

No problem. Come out to Bob's Big Boy in Burbank sometime. Can't say I've seen a Supercharged V6 Camaro before.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Welcome and if you're interested I have some bad *** l36 heads for your build I had them for my 01impala that was turboed.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HEYPAL01impala
Welcome and if you're interested I have some bad *** l36 heads for your build I had them for my 01impala that was turboed.
But that car was slow! : P

Welcome.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Lol yeah okay...slow
Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks! I'll consider those heads, though I'm not sure if I'll do anything else to the V6 besides a V8 swap. If anything, I might actually take the blower off due to some (non-mechanical) issues. Passing visual has been a nightmare lately.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome! How long have you had the car? Looks nice. Don't remember seeing it around when I lived in OC. Do you go to Cars & Coffee or Donut Derelicts?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Welcome! How long have you had the car? Looks nice. Don't remember seeing it around when I lived in OC. Do you go to Cars & Coffee or Donut Derelicts?
I've had the car since 98. I was in San Diego for a few years before I came back down to OC about four years ago. I haven't driven it much since it was down for a while (smog issues). It's finally taken care of (at least till next time) so the car gets some use, but nothing worth mentioning. I hope to drive it a bit more frequently now, but we'll see. It still needs some work and new tires. I used to attend the Fuddruckers meetings in Lake Forest. Not sure if those still go on.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HEYPAL01impala
Lol yeah okay...slow
I meant "NOW" forgot that part. lol
Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jana
I've had the car since 98. I was in San Diego for a few years before I came back down to OC about four years ago. I haven't driven it much since it was down for a while (smog issues). It's finally taken care of (at least till next time) so the car gets some use, but nothing worth mentioning. I hope to drive it a bit more frequently now, but we'll see. It still needs some work and new tires. I used to attend the Fuddruckers meetings in Lake Forest. Not sure if those still go on.
What needs to be fixed? The Fuddruckers meets still go on. There is one scheduled for next Tuesday 5PM-8PM. Once everything is fixed up on your car, you should check out the events by Motorgen.com - they usually have monthly car cruises going on with a variety of makes/models of cars.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome back and I was in the same boat with decisions same as yours (except I own a SS) I've made my final decision
Old 07-21-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZexGX
What needs to be fixed? The Fuddruckers meets still go on. There is one scheduled for next Tuesday 5PM-8PM. Once everything is fixed up on your car, you should check out the events by Motorgen.com - they usually have monthly car cruises going on with a variety of makes/models of cars.
That's a hard question to answer. The car runs, there seems to be nothing terribly wrong with it at the moment, but I feel like there's little issues here and there. Those here who might remember me from San Diego will know that the car was ripped apart to get it ready for a V8 swap, but that swap never happened and the car was returned to me in pieces. I had to have it put back together by a friend of mine. He did a good enough job, but some things seemed incomplete. I've had the car die on me a couple of times. I had it fixed at a local mechanic, but they don't specialize in F-bodies, and less so in supercharged V6 cars. One thing I notice is that when I'm at a red light and I step on the gas, it seems to accelerate much slower than what I remember. Once it gets going it's fine, just off the line it's sluggish. Doesn't seem right to me. Also, the belt on the blower slips sometimes. It's a faulty design in the way the blower is powered in my opinion. The belt needs to be tightened, but that puts pressure on the other pullies. It was fine before it was taken apart, and now there's something different about it. Can't put my finger on what that is. I wish I knew someone out here who could test it, check it out and give it a tune-up. Other than that, new tires are the only thing keeping me from driving it a lot. The tread is great, but it was sitting for a long time and I've got those tiny little cracks on the side of the tires. They keep air better than I would expect, but I don't like to chance it on the freeway.

I'll check out those events. Would be nice to get back to the F-body world again.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Welcome back and I was in the same boat with decisions same as yours (except I own a SS) I've made my final decision
Thanks! Seems like you made the right decision.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jana
Thanks! Seems like you made the right decision.
Yep! Engine, trans and rear swap . . . plus suspension and interior
Old 07-21-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice camaro, welcome and I am sure there is someone around that can help you figure out what's up with the car.

Quick Reply: Hey everybody