Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

who built this masterpiece?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hes got more into his TPI motor then i have in my whole swap and vehicle price together.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

very nice installation, my only question is "How are you going to get the vehicle smogged" in the state of California?, or are you going to use it offroad (drag strip only)?

SteveC
Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha
Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car has current tags that's all that matters to him .
Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I don't know, I do know he is having an issue with the TV cable and not quite sure if he was hooking. I know that car should be capable of high 7's easy at Irwindale. Not too bad considering it's just ZZ4 rods, hypereutectic .030" over pistons.
When I was at the track it was before the dyno tune. The car had about 330ish rwhp. What was really hurting me was my transmission. My wot shift points are supposed to be at 6k. Shifts 1-2 usually got to 6k but shifts 2-3 were very inconsistent. it ranged from 4500-5500. My peak power is actually at 6k. I cant stand that tv cable. I want to go to a 4l60e and eliminate the tv cable entirely. More or less, I really want a t-56. Also my current stall is only a 2000. My powerband doesn't kick in till around 3500 rpm. I also had a little bit of tire spin off the line.

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR

id like to know as well .. a lot of the hardcore tpi guys don't like sharing those $numbers$

majority of them have to drop a good amount of cash on afr heads, custom headers and custom porting on a aftermarket intake itself to hit the 400rwhp. i prefer a carb set up in that case. (port jobs on those intakes arent as basic or cheap as porting a fast intake for an ls)
*you got the lower intake to take care of, the runners, the upper plenum.the front portion by the tb, some welding required depending on the design of the intake.

like roy said an aftermarket intake as on a sbc is not a tpi anymore.

ask me how i know? i did the research before i went ls1.
i was running a 355 tpi hypereutectic pistons full bolt ons with a mild cam. aftermarket bell housing and ls1 t56. etc etc

track times were ok but i found out the hard way when it came testing my set up off the 1/8mile vs. my friends bone stock 98 trans am.

not sure what your bud is running but you should test it out with your ride.
My block came from a 91 TA. It was the 2 bolt main 350 that these cars got. For my build I wanted everything to be like new. I brought it over to the machine shop and the block got the works. Tanked, bored, honed, etc. I am using the stock crank, ZZ4 rods, and hyperutetic pistons and its been bored .030" over.

I spent the $1400 on my AFR's (AFR 195 Eliminators) because that is the key to make good power. (Ill get to the intake in a bit) The stock L98 heads only flow 196/170 @0.500, LS heads are about 252/185 @0.600. I got this information from here.
http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...%20L98%20Vette
It makes sense that cam only ls cars can make so much more power than cam only gen I stuff. Out of the box, the LS1 came with better equipment to get the job done. I just tried to match it.

I am also running shorties and not lontubes. They are not Dons shorties either. I have the SLP 1 5/8 and Dons are 1 3/4. The ports on my headers are actually smaller than the ports on my AFR's. I still have room for improvement there when I go to bigger headers.

I built this engine with the intention to be smog legal. I was going to get the portwork done on my Long Tube Runner setup until I came across my miniram. New they are over $1200 but I picked it up for $700. Now for the argument that minirams are not smog legal is correct. Not because it does not have an egr valve but because TPIS wont spend the $40,000 to get it carb certified. I called them up and that is what they told me. I do not have the egr valve on the car yet but it will be put on. I also still have my LTR setup just in case I ever need to put it back on.

For the price of the machine shop, my AFR heads, and to the time I had the engine running in my car was probably close to $5000. For a new engine with the specs I wanted, I believe is a decent price compared to new crate engines, or buying a donor car to do an LS1 swap. Even though an LS1 has more potential I liked the idea better of having a new engine rather than a high mileage LS1. Not that you cant find a low mileage one but its getting harder.

I do however have a 89 RS manual that would be a perfect candidate for an LSX swap. That will probably be my next project.

Originally Posted by RPD_Vette84
hes got more into his TPI motor then i have in my whole swap and vehicle price together.
Mike dont forget to mention you did your swap in a month, and spent less than most people that do any sort of swap.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure what cost you that amount

Good info though I still have all my receipts from my Tpi build and my current ls swap.
The Tpi build was alot more expensive than my stock ls1 . It's more of a preference or the opportunities that are present I guess

I got a deal on my engine , and clutch, I was already using and ls style t56 .
Not knowing much about the ls1 at the time and just doing simple pulling transmission and engines it allowed me to accomplish my first swap on a tight budget.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned

Not sure what cost you that amount

Good info though I still have all my receipts from my Tpi build and my current ls swap.
The Tpi build was alot more expensive than my stock ls1 . It's more of a preference or the opportunities that are present I guess

I got a deal on my engine , and clutch, I was already using and ls style t56 .
Not knowing much about the ls1 at the time and just doing simple pulling transmission and engines it allowed me to accomplish my first swap on a tight budget.
Did you think it was going to be more expensive or less expensive?

What did it take you to run a ls style t56? I have always been told that it just doesn't work.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thegooseman
Did you think it was going to be more expensive or less expensive?

What did it take you to run a ls style t56? I have always been told that it just doesn't work.
not sure. just mainly because i know that 5k it can get you a very healthy running ls engine.

i dont think im near the 5k range in my ls engine build even with the 4g dash and interior swap. probably cuz im not modded.

i was running a custom bellhousing that allowed me to use any aftermarket t56. it had a cnc machined aluminum spacer which allow me to use a late model fbody hydraulics and salve . and i was able to use a standard t5 clutch. it was a pretty slick set up
Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job TPI on another clean install! I remember when I first seen your thread on Thirdgen. It definitely inspired me to finally bite the bullet and do a LSx swap, dash and all that I just started on. Keep up the great work man!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

not sure. just mainly because i know that 5k it can get you a very healthy running ls engine.

i dont think im near the 5k range in my ls engine build even with the 4g dash and interior swap. probably cuz im not modded.

i was running a custom bellhousing that allowed me to use any aftermarket t56. it had a cnc machined aluminum spacer which allow me to use a late model fbody hydraulics and salve . and i was able to use a standard t5 clutch. it was a pretty slick set up
Dont forget I could have gotten a running 350 and put my top end on it. I wanted to start over instead.

If I can get my scanner working I can email you the invoice from the machine shop if your interested.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95cam86roc
Nice job TPI on another clean install! I remember when I first seen your thread on Thirdgen. It definitely inspired me to finally bite the bullet and do a LSx swap, dash and all that I just started on. Keep up the great work man!
Thanks man! Really appreciate it
Old 09-01-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thegooseman
Dont forget I could have gotten a running 350 and put my top end on it. I wanted to start over instead.

If I can get my scanner working I can email you the invoice from the machine shop if your interested.
Completely get you. Now that I compare your build to other Tpi builds looks like you made some good decisions . I'm assuming the other "tpi" guys are in the deep 10k$ range?

No updates on the car.. egr plates and dual fans are on the way. Transmission is off for Inspection.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Banned

Completely get you. Now that I compare your build to other Tpi builds looks like you made some good decisions . I'm assuming the other "tpi" guys are in the deep 10k$ range?

No updates on the car.. egr plates and dual fans are on the way. Transmission is off for Inspection.
I cant really say how much they have spent because I really dont know. If you are talking about the people who I think you are then you need to realize that they have been messing with TPI for at least the past ten years. They have swapped cylinder heads, ported intakes, ported various heads, swapped each others intakes, ported their heads some more, etc etc. I dont believe they have kept a tab on everything they have done. In the end they have done a lot of trial and error and I just got to be the little **** that skipped all that, looked at what worked and put it together. lol I have learned a lot from their threads and them personally.

I want to expand to the LSx scene with my 89 RS. Its a manual and its a really fun car to screw around with. Hell I only bought the thing for $500. I want to do a LS1 t 56 swap and do the whole dash setup. I think it would be a fun project.

Last edited by thegooseman; 09-02-2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: ...
Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gooseman any track times yet ??

Alot of people were pm about Interest n If I can help out with their 3G swaps but as of now it would be a a bit difficult time to do so .
Never updated this thread but here's a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZlD...e_gdata_player
Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

sounds sick!!!
do you have any more pics on the dash??

Great awesome work foo!! we should trade lol u do my swap and I do your next paint job lol
Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned

Gooseman any track times yet ??

Alot of people were pm about Interest n If I can help out with their 3G swaps but as of now it would be a a bit difficult time to do so .
Never updated this thread but here's a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZlD...e_gdata_player
Nope, not yet. I'm waiting on my tax return. When I get that I will use it for a new stall. I was planning on a 3600. I was thinking about irwindale next Thursday for ***** and giggles. You want to go?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll try to get more pics of the dash looks pretty cool, but mine looks better with trans am 4g panels . Seen your work bro and looks good! I already got lil chips in my front end and it bugs the he'll out of me

A stall Sounds good , you got tires?
If Im off I may go to irwindale. If not I'll c u guys at the march 4th meet.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

I'll try to get more pics of the dash looks pretty cool, but mine looks better with trans am 4g panels . Seen your work bro and looks good! I already got lil chips in my front end and it bugs the he'll out of me

A stall Sounds good , you got tires?
If Im off I may go to irwindale. If not I'll c u guys at the march 4th meet.
I have nitto 555's. Not the 555 R's. I wasn't going to put tire on it until I got the stall.

If you have it off let me know.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

yep with alittle patience you can do a lsx 3rd gen for around $3000 running including buying the car
Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreemurY2K SS
sounds sick!!!
do you have any more pics on the dash??

Great awesome work foo!! we should trade lol u do my swap and I do your next paint job lol
Honestly bro the wiring is not that hard to do, just get to know diagrams well. Really not too hard.

Quick Reply: who built this masterpiece?