Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

soo.. my neighbors

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by projectX
1) I don't know what laws apply in CA but yes... I live in MI
2) If an officer gets a call with a complaint on a loud vehicles exhaust they have grounds to look under the vehicle - (to see if catted or not) They can check your plate see the vehicle is registered for street use and give you a warning or issue a ticket for violating EPA regulations. He says straight pipes - I just assume catless but if he has them, no worries.
3) Again, I am not familiar with CA laws but I am pretty sure they are BIG on their laws with pollution.

I simply suggested he keep it down just to save his parents some grief from the neighbor that's being a jerk.
He's been posting in the Western Section for a while. It's an LS/LQ swapped Tundra for off-road use only... It's not a vehicle licensed for street use. Cops can't do **** if they don't see cats. Although, he didn't mention this in the thread until recently.

Originally Posted by rhinosarge
anyone in LOS ANGELES !!
114.01 LAMC- Vehicle Repair

114.02(a) LAMC- Vehicle Engine, Horn, and Vehicle Noise
Looks like you're good. You weren't doing it to intentionally disturb him, and it was in the middle of the day time.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live next to people like you.

sorry I can't f'n stand their cars.

I bitched about it for a while... but usually when they do it now I leave the house or turn on some really loud music. As long as they stop when the sun goes down I don't care anymore.

Believe me though.. having a constant needless droning through your house when you're trying to enjoy a quiet day can really make your life seem like hell. Home is supposed to be a place you're comfortable, and if you hate it there.. well you hate it everywhere.

I have a number of holes in the walls in my basement where the drywall's gonna be replaced anyway because of this sort of thing.

I thought about buying a catalog for a muffler company, registering their address, and putting GETTA MUFFLER as the person it's addressed to.. never did tho.

cops can't do anything round here. noise has to be intentional and you have to prove it and your name's on the citation as long as it's before sundown, so I stopped worrying about it.

just to give you the other side of the story..

maybe you could.. I dunno clamp a temporary muffler on the end of the pipe or something? Or ya know even just get a muffler it's not gonna TOTALLY kill your power... get a cutout for offroad use or something if you gotta work on it in the yard.

In the end my unstated agreement with my neighbors has been that I won't complain about their noise, as long as they don't complain about mine. when I 1st start my camaro's engine (if I ever get there..) it probably won't have full exhaust hooked up. May even be open header to climb the trailer to get to tuning.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Go take a six pack over the next time you see him out and be an adult about it and I'm sure it will end better than my feud with my neighbor.

I went to jail for driving across his lawn. We squashed it over a few beers after the restraining order was over. Had I just shot the **** with him beforehand it would have not been an issue as he was into cars as well. My .02
Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dyls1
Go take a six pack over the next time you see him out and be an adult about it and I'm sure it will end better than my feud with my neighbor.

I went to jail for driving across his lawn. We squashed it over a few beers after the restraining order was over. Had I just shot the **** with him beforehand it would have not been an issue as he was into cars as well. My .02

this is what made me stop punching holes in the drywall and trying to call the cops on my neighbors.. I talked to them about it.. they're not unreasonable people, a bit country, but not unreasonable. They honestly weren't aware that it was causing any disruption.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

start it 3am, rev it, shut it off, go back to sleep, wake up 2 hours later, repeat.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know we all joke about wanting to rev the motor and f with the guy, but in the end we're just shooting ourselves in the foot. There have been more and more laws passed against hotrodding and restricting what we can and can't do to our vehicles. When things go to ballot, us car guys are outnumbered by the general population especially here in CA. Now I can understand starting the truck up once in a while, but if you're constantly doing it, your neighbor has a right to bitch. I had the mufflers off my GTO once and that motor is fing loud. I don't know how reasonable this guy is, but maybe talk to him invite him over and show him the magic of an american V8. Or like the other guy said, clamp a cheap used muffler when the vehicle will be running for extended periods of time. If you were my neighbor and i heard that beast start up, I would run over to you house check it out, shoot the ****, and offer you a beer. However, the general population is not like most of us on this forum. Sorry for the rant, btw penal code section 415 applies even on private property at any time day or night. Most cops wont hassle with it, but if he pushes the issue he could request a report, sign a formal complaint and you could be ticketed.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
^ thats not true you can disturb the peace at anytime of the day... easiest thing to do is talk to the guy that is bothered and ask when is a good time to work on your truck and at least you tried. When the cops come explain that your working on your car and you tried to talk to him about it and they will usually just right it off...
good call, id talk to him and apologize as hard as that may be and try to see a time when it works better for him.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZexGX
He's been posting in the Western Section for a while. It's an LS/LQ swapped Tundra for off-road use only... It's not a vehicle licensed for street use. Cops can't do **** if they don't see cats. Although, he didn't mention this in the thread until recently.

Looks like you're good. You weren't doing it to intentionally disturb him, and it was in the middle of the day time.
yeah it always seems like there is something they can nail you for if they want to be a *****
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i would say try to make nice with him, i know you don't care for him but anger will cost you ALOT and i mean ALOT in your life... ask me how i know
be the bigger man, i know its hard trust me im still working on following my own advise.
good luck bro
Old 10-18-2011, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

im not gonna be scared..

hes been hassling me the whole time when i used to live over there.. from 5-20years old.. hes just that neighbor that you cant deal or make a deal with you know

ima just have some cop buddies try to come over.. i meet plenty of them over at the clubs i work at ... have them come over while theyre on shift lol to check out the truck
Old 10-18-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No offense.. you remind me of the guy that used to live 2 houses over.

I'm SO glad he doesn't seem to be living there anymore.

He knows I hate his straight pipes mustang so he puts the clutch in and revs it to redline in front of my house every time he comes by.

I can't speak for this neighbor of yours, but from my perspective.. man just do what you gotta do, but don't be a jerk, in this market moving isn't an option for many of us. (believe me.. I was willing to write a check and walk away from this house for the longest time.. but I can't write a check that big..)

that being said... having cop buddies is never a bad thing.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

im not an ***..

i dont turn on the truck to rev it.. i turn it on to break in the motor..
it still only has less then 30hrs on the motor.. and less then 5miles driven
Old 10-19-2011, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

this was last week.. with single chamber cherry bomb type muffler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCQCyUbliH0

************************************************** ******************************************

welded up magnaflow XL pipe that i bought for $40 used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAntST4QvI

Last edited by rhinosarge; 10-19-2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: video codes
Old 10-19-2011, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

Lol having your cop buddies come over in a city they arent working for wont help one bit on top of that I would be pissed if I got a beefed because of you

like I said best thing to do is at least attempt to talk to him and see when the best time is and try and work something out at least you have ammo if you get a ticket.

they also can write you a ticket for no cats/mod exhaust as well as removing emissions if you havent applied for an offroad sticker/red sticker and as well with a red sticker you can only ride in certain places/times

heres the vehicle code for offroad emissions.

http://http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d16_5/vc38390.htm

Last edited by MikeyZ; 10-19-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Sounds awesome bro...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, don't be an *******. You live in your parent's home...don't cause grief between them and your neighbor. If your working on your car, just explain that to your neighbor and try to see what the best time is to work on your vehicle, since it sounds like it's obviously loud. If he's unwilling to come to a peaceful resolution, then stick with what's reasonable...8am-8pm.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

lol @ all the people who didn't realize that the second video shows how he fixed the problem by making it quiet
Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZexGX
lol @ all the people who didn't realize that the second video shows how he fixed the problem by making it quiet

seriously

lol and im not being an *******.. u guys keep making sound like the bad guy

were all here cause we like to modify our cars..

trust me .. i know plenty of cars.. camaros vetts.. hondas !! that are 10x louder then my truck.. they all wrench at their own houses and no one bit**s at them

it so happens my neighbor has it out to get me.. so what.. who cares.. im a little older now.. ( 23 ) and im making an adult approach to cover my *** legally..

**** currently ... wiring my turn signals and brake lights.. and its 10:30 am.. which means i can work on my truck cause its after 8am..

Quick Reply: soo.. my neighbors