Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Has anyone heard of this new Police device

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011 | 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by V68Sweep

Guys, our rites are NOT being violated, lol.
If you don't have anything to hide, then giving consent isn't an issue, because you don't have anything to hide.
If you do have something to hide, then well...you only have yourself to blame I suppose. It's not the officers' fault if you get caught doing something illegal. Like if you're street racing, and you get pulled over for it. It's your fault, not the cops'.
So you would consent to a cavity search? If you have nothing to hide then I guess you're cool with it

It's and illegal search if taken without consent or a search warrant and will be inadmissible evidence. Also, I'm sure developers can create aps to bypass or shutdown a phone in these situations.
Old 10-28-2011 | 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I couldn't imagine every cop having this technology. It's going to cost too much to equip every officer with it. Why spend that money when we have a deficit? I see it being used in crime labs, that way each city only has to purchase 1-2 instead of hundreds. Just my .02
Old 10-28-2011 | 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
So you would consent to a cavity search? If you have nothing to hide then I guess you're cool with it

It's and illegal search if taken without consent or a search warrant and will be inadmissible evidence. Also, I'm sure developers can create aps to bypass or shutdown a phone in these situations.
Hahaha, a cavity search?! Sure, if the situation was that intense and I thought that I could clear myself of being a suspect and help in that way of an investigation, then yes I would.

It is not an illegal search if you say yes. They can always ask to search, and this is your right to say no. You've missed the whole point that they can't just scan someone's phone from their own wireless device. They have to physically have it in their possession.
Old 10-28-2011 | 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's and illegal search if taken without consent or a search warrant and will be inadmissible evidence
. Also, I'm sure developers can create aps to bypass or shutdown a phone in these situations.

Hahaha, a cavity search?! Sure, if the situation was that intense and I thought that I could clear myself of being a suspect and help in that way of an investigation, then yes I would.

It is not an illegal search if you say yes. They can always ask to search, and this is your right to say no. You've missed the whole point that they can't just scan someone's phone from their own wireless device. They have to physically have it in their possession.
I missed the point? See the bold and look up the definition of consent.

Although you seem a bit eager for a cavity search I don't think the majority would be cool with searches or seizures without warrants.
Old 10-28-2011 | 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I missed the point? See the bold and look up the definition of consent.

Although you seem a bit eager for a cavity search I don't think the majority would be cool with searches or seizures without warrants.
Well we've already covered the without consent part. You brought it up again as if that point hadn't been touched on. So why are you still talking about it? Your point in irrelevent.

Thanks for the advice on looking up the definition though
Old 10-28-2011 | 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's rights not rites

I guess we can agree to disagree you're cool with consenting to cavity searches while I value my privacy a little more
Old 10-28-2011 | 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"The MSP only uses the DEDs if a search warrant is obtained or if the person possessing the mobile device gives consent. The department’s internal directive is that the DEDs only be used by MSP specialty teams on criminal cases, such as crimes against children."
The DEDs are not being used to extract citizens’ personal information during routine traffic stops.

Guys, our rites are NOT being violated, lol.
If you don't have anything to hide, then giving consent isn't an issue, because you don't have anything to hide.
If you do have something to hide, then well...you only have yourself to blame I suppose. It's not the officers' fault if you get caught doing something illegal. Like if you're street racing, and you get pulled over for it. It's your fault, not the cops'.

It's rights not rites

I guess we can agree to disagree you're cool with consenting to cavity searches while I value my privacy a little more
Oh sorry that I spelled that wrong one time haha. That coupled with your definition suggestion shows that clearly you are an irreplaceable member of this forum.

*sigh.

I refuse to entertain the attention of people like yourself.
Old 10-28-2011 | 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guide...smartphone.ars
Old 10-28-2011 | 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I refuse to entertain the attention of people like yourself.
It's cool man, I just don't agree with your logic for consenting to searches. No hard feelings

Good article on the encryption. Looks like the cops won't be messing with your phone unless you are already under arrest(nothing new). The bad thing is that some individuals will think cops have the right to go through your phone during traffic stops based on misinformation/rumor.

"As such, if you are arrested or detained by a law enforcement officer, you cannot lawfully be compelled to tell the officer anything other than your basic identifying information—even if the officer has not read you the Miranda warning." 5th Amendment
Old 10-28-2011 | 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

It's cool man, I just don't agree with your logic for consenting to searches. No hard feelings

Good article on the encryption. Looks like the cops won't be messing with your phone unless you are already under arrest(nothing new). The bad thing is that some individuals will think cops have the right to go through your phone during traffic stops based on misinformation/rumor.

"As such, if you are arrested or detained by a law enforcement officer, you cannot lawfully be compelled to tell the officer anything other than your basic identifying information—even if the officer has not read you the Miranda warning." 5th Amendment
The encryption program they talk about isn't all that good. Not sure of who here keeps up on a lot of current events. Hints of what is going on out there are in certain news outlets:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...border-search/

‎"There is absolutely never a reason to give up one ounce of freedom for the sake of security." Ron Paul
Old 10-28-2011 | 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Infact an officer doesnt have to read your miranda rights... only if he want to question you.
Old 10-28-2011 | 09:30 PM
On The Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
Old 10-29-2011 | 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Okay, anyone who actually believes that cops wouldn't run around abusing this technology to illicitly gather peoples' private information really has their head up their as*. I mean, we have narcotics officers selling drugs on the street. We have police lab workers using drugs seized in drug busts! Are you kidding me!
Old 10-29-2011 | 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
Great vid, I've seen it posted here a lot and its always educational.
Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
Okay, anyone who actually believes that cops wouldn't run around abusing this technology to illicitly gather peoples' private information really has their head up their as*. I mean, we have narcotics officers selling drugs on the street. We have police lab workers using drugs seized in drug busts! Are you kidding me!
This x 1 million. Here's another weapon in the development of the police state's arsenal. Completely a violation of rights to privacy and IT WILL BE ABUSED.
Old 10-29-2011 | 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

One (among many) of the problems with government as its set up today is that too many do nothing about it. They rather fall into the trap of "it doesn't matter, my vote doesn't count, can't do anything about it, etc......" Very rare do you hear those in the establishment try to change or re-educate people to think differently. They rather sit back and watch the masses devolve into separate groups that spend more time fighting each other. One problem that I see with an abuse of something of this nature, too many will turn to the government to protect/save us from this. Thus, handing even more freedom/power over to another government body in the names of protecting us. The saddest part is too many will happily drink the Kool-Aid when the feds step in to "protect our rights' and pass more laws.
Old 10-30-2011 | 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

Just pull your sim card and then hand them the phone
Old 10-30-2011 | 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
Just pull your sim card and then hand them the phone
My guess would be that the sim card would be constituted as part of the phone. I doubt that would work if one were to find themself in that situation.
Old 11-02-2011 | 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Technology has been around for years, I make some of the same things to be integrated into a public application.
Old 11-02-2011 | 11:20 AM
Launching!

I don't know about you guys, but I like to have my wife send me some nice pics every now and then while i'm working late and I'd be pretty f'en PISSED if a cop was to go through my **** and found those on there.

Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of this new Police device