Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Tricks for a satin black car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jermzz
All of my replies, including this one have been mobile besides the one where I posted pictures. So please try again, or learn to use your phone.
I've been waiting years to see somebody post this.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
I think its interesting how there have been hundreds of threads on CETA mods and almost all of them were rattle canned and no one says anything, but because someone does it on a vette its blasphemy. A C5 FRC isn't even a 20K car anymore, who cares? And I could care less about making something reversible. If its your car build it how you want it, not how the next guy does. Vinyl has its place on cars but for something like Chris did I would do the same. If you take your time no one knows the difference.
Yeah, do what you want. But forums are for gathering information and opinions and this is mine. I've had more then a couple pms from random people just to tell me they completely agree with me, but I guess they don't wanna get involved in the discussion. to each his own.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Why's that? I love my Skyrocket!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Why's that? I love my Skyrocket!
People seem to think that using a smartphone to enter text is an excuse to misspell words, use incorrect grammar, and not even form coherent sentences, when in reality it's just them failing at life and/or English in general. Saying "I'm on a smartphone" doesn't get you off the hook from the fact that the post[s] look[ed] like completely and utterly incoherent ****. I've typed diatribes on a phone - sure it took a while, but I didn't end up looking like a foreign exchange student from Romania, da?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

+1. Don't blame your lack of the English language or your laziness on your phone; we know the truth.

On the related subject however; I am very impressed with how Chris's C5 rear looks. I doubt any shop could have done any better; paint booth and all.

I've had professional body shops do shitty work which had to be redone due to bad prep and laziness. Just because they have a shop and charge big bucks doesnt mean they are worth it; taking a car to any body shop is always a risk. Simply because he did it himself people start call it question it.

I bet the reaction would be different if he simply told you he had a high end body shop paint the rear of his C5.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Everyone does whatever they want and get the results they want.

To each their own I always say. Rattle away people.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ConElite
Everyone does whatever they want and get the results they want.

To each their own I always say. Rattle away people.
You need to wrap my car but first my BMW door pillars!!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
You need to wrap my car but first my BMW door pillars!!
Never done an F-Body. Im way to lazy to do my Bird. lol Last car I did of my own was my caddy. Took about 1 week every day for about 5 hours a day. And that car was considered "Simple."

The last car we did was this C63. His parents bought him the car but didnt like Black cars (They say its bad luck) so he had us wrap it. The color I would wrap my car.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

The last car we did was this C63. His parents bought him the car but didnt like Black cars (They say its bad luck) so he had us wrap it. The color I would wrap my car.
Same color I'd want too. Does the material cost the same as what you posted before?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Same color I'd want too. Does the material cost the same as what you posted before?
Yeah that Grey is a standard color which is the same price as Satin black.

We did my buddies S2K in the same color Grey but has a sparkle to it which is a couple hundred bucks more. Hard to tell on this pic. and we also Did a Stainless steel hood wrap on it. Pretty unique.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

People seem to think that using a smartphone to enter text is an excuse to misspell words, use incorrect grammar, and not even form coherent sentences, when in reality it's just them failing at life and/or English in general. Saying "I'm on a smartphone" doesn't get you off the hook from the fact that the post[s] look[ed] like completely and utterly incoherent ****. I've typed diatribes on a phone - sure it took a while, but I didn't end up looking like a foreign exchange student from Romania, da?
True story. It only takes an extra minute to go back through your post and read it to make sure it makes sense. I really had no idea what he was trying to say. Whether it was his poor spelling or the fact it had nothing to do with what I was talking about, I don't know.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that Grey is a standard color which is the same price as Satin black.

We did my buddies S2K in the same color Grey but has a sparkle to it which is a couple hundred bucks more. Hard to tell on this pic. and we also Did a Stainless steel hood wrap on it. Pretty unique.
I'm not a big S2K fan, but this looks SICK!

I'm in the market for a c6z, and I'm gonna do what this guy did and wrap it Matte atomic orange. I guess now they started actually painting 3M vinyl so you can have literally any color you want, and you can wax and treat it like it's actual paint. Pretty cool. Super expensive though. There's a local place here that does a great job with vinyl, they're called Vinyl Styles. He quoted me about $2500-3000 to wrap a c6z in just standard colors (ie: black, white, red, blue,) but with this special color paint vinyl it's almost $6000. I got set back when he told me this, and I'm gonna shop around and see if that's a realistic price. If it is, I think it's worth it because it just looks soooooooooo awesome!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Launching!

I'm not a big S2K fan, but this looks SICK!

I'm in the market for a c6z, and I'm gonna do what this guy did and wrap it Matte atomic orange. I guess now they started actually painting 3M vinyl so you can have literally any color you want, and you can wax and treat it like it's actual paint. Pretty cool. Super expensive though. There's a local place here that does a great job with vinyl, they're called Vinyl Styles. He quoted me about $2500-3000 to wrap a c6z in just standard colors (ie: black, white, red, blue,) but with this special color paint vinyl it's almost $6000. I got set back when he told me this, and I'm gonna shop around and see if that's a realistic price. If it is, I think it's worth it because it just looks soooooooooo awesome!

Im pretty sure this is Matte wrapped car, not Matte Atomic orange "vinyl." I searched for this color bc I wanted to do my car in it with no luck (But I could be wrong).

What most people do is get the orange car and Wrap it in "Matte" clear bra material. Expensive but in return you can pretty much make ANY colored car Matte.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im pretty sure this is Matte wrapped car, not Matte Atomic orange "vinyl." I searched for this color bc I wanted to do my car in it with no luck (But I could be wrong).

What most people do is get the orange car and Wrap it in "Matte" clear bra material. Expensive but in return you can pretty much make ANY colored car Matte.
Interesting, how much is the matte bra? Does it look as good as an actual matte vinyl? Could be a better option, but it's hard to find atomic orange c6zs for sale.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Interesting, how much is the matte bra? Does it look as good as an actual matte vinyl? Could be a better option, but it's hard to find atomic orange c6zs for sale.
ha ha ha ha just asked my buddy, Est. $1500 for material and another $1000-1500 to install. It has to be applied wet which means VERY time consuming.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

ha ha ha ha just asked my buddy, Est. $1500 for material and another $1000-1500 to install. It has to be applied wet which means VERY time consuming.
Still half the price of getting a painted vinyl and having it applied.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

I was not knocking your work.

No worries. None of my comments were not directed to you.

Im only speaking for my customers. 80% of them are on leases and like the idea of being able to remove that Black tops/Hoods/Trunks/entire car wraps when the lease is over.
Wrapping is a good idea for lease cars. My new srt8 has a wrapped roof and trunk stripe....
I'm very familiar w every method of finishing a car. My 69 and 72 need more body work. No need to for them to sit in chalky black or yellow primer, so bumper coating they get. My corvette needed a line. I trusted my eye and some tape over a razor and a huge sheet of vinyl. Came out perfect and hasn't dulled in more than 5 years of hard driving and soot clinging to it. The C4 was a wreck. Got it in trade for a job and just needed it to sell. Uniform flat black is better than mix matched panels and visible body work. It sold just as planned. $100 to make these cars look more desirable is well worth it for me.
I'm not defending myself here. I don't need to. I've been doing what I do for over ten years, have made many people enjoy their cars and I have supplied many w parts and cars they love. The exterior of a car is not all there is... My engines are dry, simple and my set ups are efficient. Everyone has differnt views and ways. The other Chris is right... If this thread did not highlight the fact that a I use spray paint, The direction would be very different. Most of you need to open your eyes and be more accepting to ways different than your own. Again. I do not have anything against vinly. Been there, I've don't that.
Name:  933513be.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  61.2 KB
Name:  5ab03f93.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  128.6 KB
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got another 300 SRT8?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im currently in the process of rattle canning my 92 Camaro.. im using VHT SP671 Roll Bar Satin black. Very durable, has more of a sheen than the bumper stuff which i tried first.

Quick Reply: Tricks for a satin black car?