Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Tricks for a satin black car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jermzz
Yeah, do what you want. But forums are for gathering information and opinions and this is mine. I've had more then a couple pms from random people just to tell me they completely agree with me, but I guess they don't wanna get involved in the discussion. to each his own.
Your right forums are for information and opinions, but not for hating. Saying his cars look like **** is pretty fucked up in my opinion. The vette looks badass. Thats my 2 cents
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think OP wants his thread back right about now...
Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cntrmnt02ss
Your right forums are for information and opinions, but not for hating. Saying his cars look like **** is pretty fucked up in my opinion. The vette looks badass. Thats my 2 cents
The vette looks ok in the pictures, but that was later. I saw a 4th gen camaro and a second gen car (I think.. on mobile so I can't check and don't remember) flat black and looking like ****. I call em as I see 'em, and he even said they were Shitty and he didn't care.... so I don't see the problem. The guy seems to have some talent with a spray can, but this won't be the norm for 99.9% of the hacks out there who are gonna read this thread, and with no experience, go try and rattle can their car expecting a quality job. And even had he not agreed, he still took it and came back with some good pictures which is why I left him alone after. Plus there seems to be a few people who vouch for his work. But again, not gonna look like that when most people do it. I don't give a **** when people hate on my cars. But like I said, to each his own.... hopefully people will read all this and make a more informed decision. What's it to you anyway, unless he pays you to be his cheerleader?

Last edited by jermzz; 02-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Lol, your a feisty little guy huh? Who's cheer leading? I gave my 2 cents like everyone else. I'm not the one who came in here insulting everyone who's ever took a rattle can to a car, or people who didn't agree with you. Calm down dude.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Although a rattle can job can look good if done right, it will be much better looking if done with a spray gun. Thats a well know fact since forever. Saying that the can job would be the same is just insane.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cntrmnt02ss
Lol, your a feisty little guy huh? Who's cheer leading? I gave my 2 cents like everyone else. I'm not the one who came in here insulting everyone who's ever took a rattle can to a car, or people who didn't agree with you. Calm down dude.
I'm on a mission to not have fbodies and c5's become the new 5.0's, but I can't do it alone.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chaman
Although a rattle can job can look good if done right, it will be much better looking if done with a spray gun. Thats a well know fact since forever. Saying that the can job would be the same is just insane.
Very well stated
Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

I'm on a mission to not have fbodies and c5's become the new 5.0's, but I can't do it alone.
That's too late, They are cheap enough now that Hispanics are leaving their 5.0's and jumping into them.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
That's too late, They are cheap enough now that Hispanics are leaving their 5.0's and jumping into them.
True story.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Man I really want to do this to my car but too bad it's pewter. Would annoy me having a flat black car with a pewter engine bay.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Amazes me how this can be done with cans and still look good
Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
this made me spit up my coffee XD
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

FRC is SICK!!!! Also another option is Plasti-coat. I did my Stock wheels and my rear diffuser and it has a great satin look. Not to mention the ease of removal and even better, the ease of application. It honestly looks Great!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I still can't believe people are considering vinyl a higher option...

Professional paint>Spray paint>Vinyl

Just the way MOST of the world sees it. There is a reason when you go to a car show vinyl stickers do NOT put you in a modified class but PAINTED (stripes, etc...) rattle can or not DOES.

You can have a hack with an expensive booth and gun give you a **** job and a person who knows what their doing with a can give you a good one.

The paint (depending on what your buying) is no different. It is just HARDER with a can to do a good job so MOST RATTLE CAN JOBS look like *** therefore people think that is all you can get from them.

Of course someone good with a can would be great with a gun, not arguing that, but to dismiss it all together is just ridiculous.

Different levels for different budgets/different valued cars. I think any matte finish (rattle can, vinyl, whatever) on a six figure car is absolutely retarded because, rattle can/spray gun or vinyl, you know have a 6 figure car that looks like it is primered ready for paint.

It may look like really good primer but it is still a "primered" look (can't argue with that, this whole thing comes from "rat rod" styling)... The idea is to look like a home built car that was all go no show. No one home builds a six figure car...

On a side note, ZSS2148 I think your can jobs look great. Want to do a 5.0 for me?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Different levels for different budgets/different valued cars. I think any matte finish (rattle can, vinyl, whatever) on a six figure car is absolutely retarded because, rattle can/spray gun or vinyl, you know have a 6 figure car that looks like it is primered ready for paint.
Google matte on ANY EXOTIC car and you'll find it in ANY color. It doesn't look retarded, or stupid. And how many of them are painted vs vinyl? NONE. I see 100k cars vinyl'd almost daily. Anyone with a half a brain or even completely retarded vegetable; can't function on their own, wont take a 6 figure car and repaint it no matter how professional. But they're vinyl'd all day every day. It's a style, it's not meant to look like a primer paint job and completely reversible.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

Google matte on ANY EXOTIC car and you'll find it in ANY color. It doesn't look retarded, or stupid. And how many of them are painted vs vinyl? NONE. I see 100k cars vinyl'd almost daily. Anyone with a half a brain or even completely retarded vegetable; can't function on their own, wont take a 6 figure car and repaint it no matter how professional. But they're vinyl'd all day every day. It's a style, it's not meant to look like a primer paint job and completely reversible.
Wow, so full of wrong information. I've been at SEMA for the past three years and you do NOT see exotics wrapped MORE than painted. Most of the matte colors you see are PAINT, NOT vinyl.

Regardless of your taste, it is unarguably a trend started off of PRIMERed looking cars mostly of the "rat rod" style.

Again, regardless of your opinion, the general public does NOT look at a car with vinyl stickers on it and think more highly of it that a car someone took the time to paint and had the ***** to commit to.

If you can afford a car that is six figures AND you want to mod it then "reversible" shouldn't be a thought in your head, in my opinion, but if it is then vinyl is a cheap alternative but it is just that, a cheap alternative not a superior choice to a professional paint job.

Why someone who has six figures to spend on a car would want one with a sticker covering or even just a matte finish that doesn't show off all those expensive body lines you paid for it is beyond me but money doesn't buy taste and everyone is different.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Wow, so full of wrong information. I've been at SEMA for the past three years and you do NOT see exotics wrapped MORE than painted. Most of the matte colors you see are PAINT, NOT vinyl.

Regardless of your taste, it is unarguably a trend started off of PRIMERed looking cars mostly of the "rat rod" style.

Again, regardless of your opinion, the general public does NOT look at a car with vinyl stickers on it and think more highly of it that a car someone took the time to paint and had the ***** to commit to.

If you can afford a car that is six figures AND you want to mod it then "reversible" shouldn't be a thought in your head, in my opinion, but if it is then vinyl is a cheap alternative but it is just that, a cheap alternative not a superior choice to a professional paint job.

Why someone who has six figures to spend on a car would want one with a sticker covering or even just a matte finish that doesn't show off all those expensive body lines you paid for it is beyond me but money doesn't buy taste and everyone is different.
Lol. SEMA is not the real world, and those cars are bought and modded by corporations and manufactures who for the most part never have the intention of seeking monetary value from those cars. To paint a car properly you need to pull the motor, strip the interior, and virtually pull the car apart. The every day baller who goes down to his ferrari, lambo, Mc laren or similar dealership is not gonna have his hand built car ripped totally apart, painted and re assembled destroying a crafted car and a perfect paint job. The idea is just stupid. Cars bought by a corporation for means of attraction and advertising are completely different, sorry. Vinyl can even be painted any color to look like factory paint. You wax and wash it like you would any normal paint, and again completely reversible. Your reasoning is completely irrational for the cars were talking about.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Banned

^^Good lord dude give it up, YOU ARE WRONG. The majority of matte high dollar cars ARE NOT CHEAP VINYL. Hell, the majority of them at this point are FACTORY PAINT JOBS...

One of MANY examples...

Old 02-29-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can Google for days also to argue my point, and even point to local vinyl shops doing exotics weekly. But whatever dude, believe what you want and let me know when you rejoin the 21st century.

Take two gallardos off the showroom floor. Vinyl one matte white then have the other 'professionally' painted matte white. **** it. Any color. Drive the cars for one year like this then post them both for sale for the same price and see which one sells first. The one thats been tore apart and put back together or the factory one with some vinyl on it that can be taken off at any god damn time to show a perfect, untouched, factory protected exterior. . This is a no brainer and will work the same for any class of vehicle. Get a clue dude, people aren't stupid with their money and 99.9 percent of people can't even tell the difference form even just feet away.

Last edited by jermzz; 02-29-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Launching!

I do vinyl work for a living. And The majority of our clients Change their mind every couple months so using vinyl is much better "for them." If people choose to call it the "Cheap" alternative is all a matter of personal opinion, but most of my customers are looking at long term and in reality, It does devalue a car when it gets repainted. The ability to reverse the job to stock is something that 99% of my customers like because they never keep a car for more than 2-3 years.

There are certain things you cant do with paint unless you pay Thousands and thousands of dollars, and the ability to remove it is the best part.

Stripes

Stainless steel Wrap on my friends Rolls- Impossible to do any other way

Longo Dealership contract we had

Like I have said, I would not be so quick to say its a "cheap" alternative, Simply a more flexible alternative.

For every 1 Great Rattle can Man, there is 10,000 horrible ones.

Last edited by ConElite; 02-29-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Tricks for a satin black car?