Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

California = Fail

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still don't get the smog law cry babies. There's tons of modded cars everywhere here that are registered and / or daily driven. Performance shops here get tons of business and do really well. I was one of the first to have a 454lsx up and running and it was registered here in CA and I drove it on the street with slicks and skinnies. Sure you pay a little more for that special smog, but whats 200 bucks when you have... how much in your car? police don't mess with late model cars like they do rice rockets. And even the ones that try don't know anything.... Ive had cops peer under my hood for 15 min and the best they can come up with is a modified exhaust ticket... whooptie do. I even know a local guy who's a city cop and has one of the most modified fbodies I know of running around on the street registered.... uhhhhhhhh
Old 03-08-2012, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

i was driving next to a RHD R34 skyline with CA plates today... i guess there's ways around any aspect of the law
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Last edited by onephatZ28; 03-08-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
The weather isn't sunny and great all the time. Yes, it dose not get extreme like other places but the pollution and the allergen's you inhale everyday should be more of a concern. Have you seen the layer of crap over southern California?

http://laist.com/2008/05/22/24000_californi.php

When ever I got to Arizona and come down the Indio pass, you can see how shitty the air is.

LOL I alway say I dont trust air I cant see :-)
Old 03-09-2012, 03:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jermzz
Still don't get the smog law cry babies. There's tons of modded cars everywhere here that are registered and / or daily driven. Performance shops here get tons of business and do really well. I was one of the first to have a 454lsx up and running and it was registered here in CA and I drove it on the street with slicks and skinnies. Sure you pay a little more for that special smog, but whats 200 bucks when you have... how much in your car? police don't mess with late model cars like they do rice rockets. And even the ones that try don't know anything.... Ive had cops peer under my hood for 15 min and the best they can come up with is a modified exhaust ticket... whooptie do. I even know a local guy who's a city cop and has one of the most modified fbodies I know of running around on the street registered.... uhhhhhhhh
But you do realize that 454 is technically illegal here, right? Also you mentioned several times about real estate essentially flying "off the shelves" here in California... Uh no. I believe we are still currently second, behind Nevada (and thats only because of Vegas) in the amount of foreclosures. Sure multi millionaires, like the kind that live in the bay area (not you specifically - and im still a niners fan after all ) can always buy a home, but most of us "average joes," my friend, cant. I bought my house for $485. Watched it a year later hit $575 and just after I sold it hit an all time low of $299k (thats what the last buyer took as I understand it). Thats that "sunshine inflation" that will continue to get worse while we do things like license illegal immigrants (first round before amnesty), refuse to impound their cars when they drive without insurance (but if youre a citizen youre screwed), give illegal teens free college on the taxpayer (read homeowners) dime, not to mention the cash programs (that get sent back to their country of origin), etc... You add all of that on to all of the asinine car laws, high speed rail, more taxes, higher gas prices than the rest of the country and youve got a recipe for Texas, Florida or Louisiana. Taking fishing trips this summer to pick which one exactly
Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such a shame about the taxes and cost of living, because in terms of geography and weather, your state is probably the best in the whole country. If it was affordable I'd love to live in California. But the government really is chasing business out of the state, so I don't see the financial situation improving in the future. Maybe I'll just have to move out of the country. Costa Rica? Chile? If Mexico wasn't so damn corrupt and dangerous, I bet Baja California would be a beautiful place to live. Cabo san Lucas
Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jermzz
police don't mess with late model cars like they do rice rockets. And even the ones that try don't know anything.... Ive had cops peer under my hood for 15 min and the best they can come up with is a modified exhaust ticket... whooptie do. I even know a local guy who's a city cop and has one of the most modified fbodies I know of running around on the street registered.... uhhhhhhhh

True most don't know what they are looking at... There are some Officers that do and are gearheads that can appreciate the car.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Or, to solve all your smog problems, you could just get a pre-1975 vehicle (like I did with my 70 Camaro) and mod the freaking crap out of it and never have to worry.
If you live in the more agricultural counties (Kerns, Tulare, Kings etc.) then housing isn't nearly as expensive. Granted the weather here isn't as nice as SoCal or the Bay area, but we don't have the damn heavy population that pushed all of us ag guys out of SoCal in the first place (any of you remember when Chino was all dairies? I do, makes me sad every time I drive down there now).
As for gun laws, yeah, they suck, but once again in my area (Tulare County) it's not that hard to get a ccw (I actually just started that process yesterday).
Overall the biggest downsides to CA are it's not business friendly, especially for those of us in dairy because the tree huggers are trying to chase us out (it's nearly impossible to get a permit to build a new dairy now). The other big downside is that the big cities like LA, SF and Sacramento basically make all the decisions, so the rural towns are at the mercy of the urban nut jobs.

Quick Reply: California = Fail