Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Guess who's got two thumbs and a job in San Jose California?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guess who's got two thumbs and a job in San Jose California?

This guy.

Never thought I would be posting in this section, but I interviewed for a job in San Jose over the weekend, knocked the interview out of the park and they called within 72 hours and offered the job.

So it looks like I'll be starting on the 28th of this month.

In a twist of fate, I will not be taking my car. Its pretty high mileage and not looking forward to trying to take it the 1800 miles from Houston through the desert, so I'll probably sell it, get a plane ticket, and get a motorcycle when I get into town.

Anything I should know about the San Jose, California area?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new job man.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

don't try to go north on 280/85/101 between 7 to 9 am or south from 3 to 6 pm
but it might not be such a big deal on a bike.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some parts of San Jose reeks of cows
it gets hot in the summer but it's a dry heat, humidity is usually less than 10% so it won't feel muggy.
Lots of import ricers out there too.
mmmmm, that's all I can think of right now, congrats!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
some parts of San Jose reeks of cows
it gets hot in the summer but it's a dry heat, humidity is usually less than 10% so it won't feel muggy.
Lots of import ricers out there too.
mmmmm, that's all I can think of right now, congrats!
Cows!? Its the heart of the silicon valley, i have no idea what your talking about. Ive lived here all my life and i love it. In articles San Jose constantly comes up as one of the best cities to live, raise kids, and work in (not cheap to live here though, but worth it). We have imo the best weather anyone could ask for. 45 min from the beach, 45 from SF and Oakland, a few hours to Tahoe or any other ski resort in that area. Close to wine country, Monterrey bay, Yosemite national park. And you haven't lived until you drove a muscle car down highway 1. As for the city itself, its clean, with lots of things to do with or without the family. I wouldn't say there are a lot of ricers, most of them are high school kids who put on a loud muffler on there car to try and look cool. But there are a lot of real car enthusiast around. Well welcome to the bay area! Post up if you have any questions or concerns.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Congratulations on the new Job! You can always swing by and check us out here at our new place in north San Jose. 527 charcot ave suite 331 san jose ca 95131.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...-location.html
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome area, You might have luck finding an affordable place east or north east, santa clara is really expensive, milpitas is still growing and that city smells like garbage (was a land fill at one point) Alviso might be cheap it was when we moved from Santa Clara in 2000 but I heard it has turned around. I have a couple car buddies up that way, one with a very cool 690 rwhp gt500 and the other has a pretty quick tbird turbo coupe. Most of my info is out dated but still pretty true for the most part.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the good greetings. Sorry, I'm not used to posting in this section as of yet.

I've been looking for a place to stay with some luck. I think the plan is to just rent a car and get a hotel the first couple of days until I can look around and really get my bearings.

I'm planning on selling my current car before I leave because im not looking forward to making the 1800 mile trip across the desert and mountains. So I'm just flying in commercially before the job start date.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

congrats on the job! im a local here in san jose. born n raised. lots to do. the weather is perfect. not too hot nor not too cold. we have bayarea meets threw out the spring
& summer. lots of fast car here in san jose, but sorry to say it there is way too many ricers...lol welcome hope you like out here. GO SHARKS!!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the job.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats been living here all my life good place to live lots to do also
Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Staging Lane

Congrats. I went I school in downtown San jose. I lived there for 8 years too and still frequent the city. What will you be doing? And what part of San jose? It's a much larger city than SF.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Things you should know.

1, your rent will be 10x higher then it is now, and houses will be less then half of what they are there for twice the price
2, learn spanish if you don't know it already
3, you're 30 min away from all of the cities that top Forbes top 15 richest in the country, go explore.
4, traffic, lots of it. in the morning and until past 7 pm
5, best mexican food you'll ever eat will be next door
6 is getting skipped because i'll be flamed for what was here.
7, you'll see more exotic cars then you've seen in your life.
8, everything is about status.
9, the beach, snow, mountains, disneyland, san francisco, las vegas are all within driving distance.
10, did i mention the mexican food is the best?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys, quick update.

Well, Im situated here in San Jose, and things have worked out better then I imagined. I will say that I am having a bit of a culture shock in the peoples democratic republic being from Texas and whatnot, but Im adjusting nicely.

I found a pretty affordable place to live and rents actually only 500 a month, and I live only a mile from work so Im doing the whole hippy thing and biking to work.

I might get a car in another month or so but so far things have been working out really well. Ill start exploring after I get through training.

As far as the Mexicans, Im a vato myself but I originally worked in South Texas so this is nothing. The Mexican food needs some work though because I tried out one of the "authentic" mexican resturaunts out here and it was a little lacking. Just because you wrap the stuff in a tortilla doesnt make it mexican and rice and beans are supposed to be cheap. Whatever.

As far as cars are concerned I dont think I can get my SS over here because what Ive seen so far, I wouldnt even be able to get it registered. The camaro is running full bolt ons with no cats as is so Im sure it will be burnt, crushed and melted as soon as I tried to bring it over. I sold my little Lexus before I came over so thats not an option. Motorcycle might be an option but I dont feel like dieing and I cant really do anything with a motorcycle that I can already do with a bike.

Cars seem to be pretty cheap and I can get a decent beater for about 1-3K. Im actually thinking about just getting a wild hair and buying a classic Buick for about 5 or 6K. Something with a floor shifter and a bit of attitude.

Love the weather! Coming from Texas this is paradise!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on the job, and welcome to the bay!

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
As far as cars are concerned I dont think I can get my SS over here because what Ive seen so far, I wouldnt even be able to get it registered. The camaro is running full bolt ons with no cats as is so Im sure it will be burnt, crushed and melted as soon as I tried to bring it over..
plenty of people here with a little extra under the hood... just gotta find the right smog person and you'll be fine Come check out norcal-lsx.com
Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

What he said^^^
Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I got a lil extra also lol just ask around
Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Don't forget NCal was the original home of F-Body.org and has as active an F-Body contingent as Texas. So bringing the Camaro (and adding cats) would be a good deal.

Perry

Quick Reply: Guess who's got two thumbs and a job in San Jose California?