Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

new smog jan 1st

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can speculate on what it can and cannot do , almost every good tuner I've spoke to is fairly certain that cars tuned with hpt will be fine, I highly doubt they are going to get extremly complicated with the computer systems as this law is about decreasing operating cost to smog shops and in turn increasing revenue for they state (new machinery new fees )
In reality its all about money , even though the cost of operation will be much less, but they will be tacking on more fees for a test , so smog check cost will be the same or more money
But if it does turn out bad , I have a address in az and ill just reg my car out there
Old 05-13-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The quote in Vilkata post seems very inaccurate current smog check systems have no way of checking vin # or any real data in a pcm other then readyness and ses codes , so unless they have inside info , I would take it with a grain of salt
Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
The quote in Vilkata post seems very inaccurate current smog check systems have no way of checking vin # or any real data in a pcm other then readyness and ses codes , so unless they have inside info , I would take it with a grain of salt
Like I said, all internet speak so who knows. The possibility could be what all is included in the 'new machines' you reference in your previous post. I think what might tell us more is to reach out to people in the other states that already use this method. Perhaps it is the same things they look for as well.

I'm sure someone is going to find out the hard/easy way come 2013. Who knows, maybe everyone is wrong and its something completely different all together.

No matter what the case, the thing I am wondering about is item B in the law regarding being able to direct cars to specific smog stations. Not sure what all that is going to allow.

Either way, won't stop me from modding. As you point out, its all about revenue. So there will just possibly be more $ that needs to be spent on the other side.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
This is kind of cool though. Disturbing, but cool none the less:

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web
Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vilkata
This is kind of cool though. Disturbing, but cool none the less:

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web
I found this link too. What does it mean? This was from my truck:

Calibration History for: Operating system
Part Number CVN Bulletin # Description
12208322 N/A - New calibration removes functionality of A/C variation correction enhancement. Replaces calibration number 12202088.
M4455: There are 2 calibration part numbers that are valid for 'Engine'. Read the descriptions from the following tables to determine the correct calibration for this vehicle.

Calibration History for: Engine
9357818 0000B4FB - Software change to control unwanted idle speed
16263781 0000A539 - Engine calibration

9358694 000037DE - NOTICE: Should only be used to correct lean hesitation during warm up that is caused by intake valve deposits. Use only in complaint vehicles. Use of this calibration in non-complaint vehicles can create undesirable drivability characteristics.
16263781 0000A539 - Engine calibration

Calibration History for: Engine diagnostic
9358941 00005551 - New calibration to address OBD2 compliance issue
9362534 00008C23 - Software change to control unwanted idle speed
16263998 00006AAB - Engine diagnostic calibration

Calibration History for: Transmission
16264214 0000184A - Transmission calibration

Calibration History for: Transmission diagnostic
16264334 0000E269 - Transmission diagnostic calibration

Calibration History for: Fuel system
16264630 00001B41 - New calibration to reflect changes in fuel tank stiffness
16264543 0000459B - Fuel system calibration

Calibration History for: System
9373483 0000F5E1 - System calibration

Calibration History for: Speedometer
9359199 0000C3D7 - Speedometer calibration
Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

I have a feeling this is one of those things that people with 2000+ cars will be cheering about until the details are out. If it sounds too good to be true..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by F-BodyMind
I have a feeling this is one of those things that people with 2000+ cars will be cheering about until the details are out. If it sounds too good to be true..
+1 I hope they do not check to see if we got a tune, because if they do I'm screwed.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

guys, they cannot check the current tune in the vehicle. The way the Eforce supercharger works, is that edelbrock had to provide CARB with a tune that would pass smog. So they mandate that you must use the tune that comes with the Eforce to be compliant. They would have no way of knowing if you changed it or not.

you should all join the SEMA SAN network. Its free, and it updates you on the progress of all smog laws. When this law passes (which it will) people with HPtuners cars will have no issues.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ just as I thought ^^
Although they will still do a visual and unless you know the smog guy , I'm sure if you roll in with a nasty sounding cam car they are probably going to fail you
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
guys, they cannot check the current tune in the vehicle. The way the Eforce supercharger works, is that edelbrock had to provide CARB with a tune that would pass smog. So they mandate that you must use the tune that comes with the Eforce to be compliant. They would have no way of knowing if you changed it or not.

you should all join the SEMA SAN network. Its free, and it updates you on the progress of all smog laws. When this law passes (which it will) people with HPtuners cars will have no issues.
Should be an interesting read (SEMA SAN). More interesting at least than reading the actual bill itself. Which already passed by the way. The state assembly voted for it on July 2, 2010. Amended it twice, then the senate amended it four times. The assembly passed it on August 26, 201. The State Senate voted for it on August 25, 2010. The governor signed it into law in September 23, 2010. It was filed officially on September 24, 2010. This as mentioned before, is scheduled to be enacted January 1, 2013.

Here is the bill as presented back then:

ftp://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/b...asm_floor.html

Here is a link to who actually voted for it:

http://www.ecovote.org/bill/all-onboard-smog-checks

Here is an interesting quote about the bill:

AB 2289 provides regulations to penalize those who violate the smog check standard. The bill would authorize the department to adopt, by regulation, a process by which vehicles that present prohibitive or unusual inspection circumstances are inspected by referees, as provided. A referee would be authorized to charge a fee sufficient to cover the costs of providing certain referee services.
This too (from the bill itself):

To better address the extent to which improper and/or falsified
test results may be factors in the smog check program, the
report recommended corrective steps, some of which are
incorporated in this bill.
Here is another interesting one. Talks about how they have been collecting data about the stations that have been performing the tests and the vehicles that have been using them.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...df/AB_2289.pdf

Again, who knows. Lots of bureaucratic bs.

Last edited by vilkata; 05-15-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Here people from other states that already use this method speak of AP. Basically spoofing the OBDII

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=215773
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

How does this affect someone with a 94 car with a 2002 LS1. I might be moving to Cali next year. I don't actually have an OBDI port anymore but the car did pass emissions in AZ.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Exidous
How does this affect someone with a 94 car with a 2002 LS1. I might be moving to Cali next year. I don't actually have an OBDI port anymore but the car did pass emissions in AZ.
Not sure if swapped engine vehicles count as "specially constructed vehicles"

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/Bills/AB_2289/20112012/
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Exidous
Out of state cars can be a pain to register here. Engine swaps can be worse. I would HIGHLY recommend doing your research before coming here.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

STS does it by sending you a Predator with a base tune on it. They make adjustments that are still within CARB parameters and once you're done you send the Predator back to them, they check the tune that you used, and then they send you a CARB sticker. Seems kinda silly if you ask me.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing is even if they kept the sniffer most of the "pollutants" that a car produces well those who have a tune and no cats, is like at the bottom of the pollutants list well last I saw. The only real pollutant cars are ones that don't run right old clunkers what not and also mostly manufacturing processing.

I like a quote from one comedian, we as a people are pretty arrogant to believe that we have such a huge effect on the planet, the planet which is larger than us and has always managed to balance itself out and yet us small little people believe we can have such a huge effect on it.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

When this law passes (which it will) people with HPtuners cars will have no issues.
Why HPtuners?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

So they cant check if the computer has been modified?.. Hmm.. Im no expert but the way technology is going soon there's gonna be an app for that.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
If they are interested in reducing pollution, then they should eliminate the visual and functional and keep the sniffer. Smog testing is done to mitigate pollution. Who cares if the car is modified as long as it's not grossly polluting. That law is absolutely retarded.

But, say hello to big cams, big heads, and gutted stock cats!
Who cares in general! F*ck them I say. We're putting $$$ into the economy. It's not a old pos falling apart down the road or a mustang lol... just kidding blue circle lovers...

Quick Reply: new smog jan 1st