Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Check engine light went off

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012 | 01:51 PM

Default Check engine light went off

My 98 V6 Camaro Check engine light went on BUT it was running perfect so I just let it stay on for a couple weeks.... then it just went off? Im sure it didnt reset itself and the car still runs perfect.... could the bulb have burned out? Is that bulb easy to replace? Thanks for the advice.....
Old 11-05-2012 | 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you turn the key to the on position does the light come on?
Old 11-05-2012 | 06:40 PM

I just checked and it does come on..... so I guess whatever it was got better? Will that "erroe code" show up on my smog check? Or did my computer clear itself?
Old 11-05-2012 | 07:20 PM
On The Tree

the light came on to let you know that 2 pistons are missing
Old 11-05-2012 | 10:40 PM

Oh, 2000ESES make funny! Funny unemployed guy with nothing to do but add useless comments to this forum as he lives in his parents basement eating Twinkies all day.
Old 11-05-2012 | 10:44 PM
Teching In

Mine goes on and off all the time. My car had a after market exhaust on it before, then they put the original back on. They left an aftermarket cat on there and goodyear told me that my light come on and off because sometimes it'll get clogged up and then unclogged.
Old 11-06-2012 | 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by george59
I just checked and it does come on..... so I guess whatever it was got better? Will that "erroe code" show up on my smog check? Or did my computer clear itself?
If the problem persists then the light will be there. What I know that will cause the light to come on and off is the catalytic converters. Not saying that's your problem but hope it helps. And yes if the code is still in pending and hasn't passed the monitors than it will not pass smog
Originally Posted by Tjfred29
Mine goes on and off all the time. My car had a after market exhaust on it before, then they put the original back on. They left an aftermarket cat on there and goodyear told me that my light come on and off because sometimes it'll get clogged up and then unclogged.
Goodyear didn't know what they were talking about.
Old 11-06-2012 | 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mannyman84
If the problem persists then the light will be there. What I know that will cause the light to come on and off is the catalytic converters. Not saying that's your problem but hope it helps. And yes if the code is still in pending and hasn't passed the monitors than it will not pass smog
You just said what they said... If the lights off during emissions then the code reader won't read the code, and its fine
Old 11-06-2012 | 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

The code may be stored in the computer still even if the light went off. It wont cause you to fail a smog check though. Its just "there" in the memory. If you live in the area I can scan it for you if you dont know what was causing it.
Old 11-06-2012 | 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tjfred29
You just said what they said... If the lights off during emissions then the code reader won't read the code, and its fine
Not necessarily, if the light isnt on doesn't mean there is no code. If you still have a problem in the system then the light will come on if its a consistent problem. It can keep it pending for a while. When going to a smog place they scan for the monitors to be set (passed) and for any pending codes. Pending codes don't set check engine lights. Hard codes do
Old 11-16-2012 | 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Codes come on when series of certain events happen, this can illuminate the light. Codes don't self clear- if a certain set of events happen ( different for each type of code ) a Code will either remain, or remove.

So... it doesn't "clear", the sensor is just reading different and the light need not be lit. Usually a no running condition light is from the rear o2s. This is a good example, as they have no changes on the running condition of the car but can set the SES light.

Get a reader so you can check that code right when the light comes on.
Old 11-16-2012 | 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ actually lights do clear them selves if the problem is fixed and the light isn't erased.

Quick Reply: Check engine light went off