Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

AB 2289, new 2013 Ca. Smog could be really bad. Seeking info..

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 02:52 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AB 2289, new 2013 Ca. Smog could be really bad. Seeking info..

Can anyone confirm if come January 2013, Ca. Smog checks will be a lot stricter?
Thread edited for our safety, LOL. No need to discuss stuff we don't know yet!

Cheers

Last edited by loloone; 01-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been discussed here already but no one was 100% about the new laws yet. Just gonna have to wait and see what happens with the guys who are due for smog next year. It seems that instead of the tailpipe test for 2000+ vehicles, they are gonna do a visual inspection and basically check the ecu for the emission systems readiness codes. Good thing is these codes can be tuned so passing shouldnt be hard. some are saying that 2005 and newer vehicle will have the actual ecu tune scanned for any variations from stock. I dont know how they will do that since theyre trying to save money and the software needed to check so many vehicles tunes cant be cheap. Plus what does that do to cars with smog legal mods and tunes that have passed prior sniffer tests or even tuned for e85 which burns cleaner? Hopefully it doesnt go beyond checking the readiness codes. It'll be nice if guys who go through smog in the next coming months post up their experiences.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...ws-tuning.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...g-laws-ca.html

Last edited by C5natie; 12-24-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Might be bad for us???
Come on now, do they ever pass anything that's good for us?
I guarantee this is going to be bad for us, unless you like bone stock cars.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Lol how much drama, they won't check if the tune is stock or not, nobody checks for that kind of **** except for example GM when they need to check whether a repair can be under warranty or not, which i don't blame, i'm sure Ford or any other manufacturer also check their ****.

And we should also stop this nonsense of talking about changing **** in the tune to pass smog, there is noting to be done in the calibration to do this. Leave the rest for PM's or face to face conversations for crying out loud. No wonder the fackers from carb or barb or whatever the fucked up name they have, get their ideas from.

Nothing bad is going to happen except they may have magnifying glasses now to check your stock cats, this is going to be the same test is done for example in NJ or NY, now get your shift together and wait until next week

Fack, wonder where my stock cats are, i know they were in my garage
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGoat06
Lol how much drama, they won't check if the tune is stock or not, nobody checks for that kind of **** except for example GM when they need to check whether a repair can be under warranty or not, which i don't blame, i'm sure Ford or any other manufacturer also check their ****.

And we should also stop this nonsense of talking about changing **** in the tune to pass smog, there is noting to be done in the calibration to do this. Leave the rest for PM's or face to face conversations for crying out loud. No wonder the fackers from carb or barb or whatever the fucked up name they have, get their ideas from.

Nothing bad is going to happen except they may have magnifying glasses now to check your stock cats, this is going to be the same test is done for example in NJ or NY, now get your shift together and wait until next week

Fack, wonder where my stock cats are, i know they were in my garage

Agreed last thread got deleted ive called and i have my smog license no way to check every make model and mfg of cvn and tuned vehicles let the paranoia cease.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Good to know, it was my thread, got a little out of hand so i ended it. Decided we should all just wait for actual reports.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Feel free to delete my thread, won't hurt my feelings. I started reading a bunch of different threads on other forums and got bugged out!

Quick Reply: AB 2289, new 2013 Ca. Smog could be really bad. Seeking info..