Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Star smog

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so an update on smog. I have met a few cool smog techs around me who are getting their shops star certified and are willing to work out a deal with me

So there is still hope!

I think actually smog will be easier because all the tuners with 90's imports are going to band together to make sure their cars pass smog. Things like civics with jdm swaps, SUPRA's especially with their 1000hp huge single turbo's, talons with 600hp single turbos, fox body mustangs with ls1's, us with the fbody's etc. 240's with sr20's and ls1's. There is a lot of support within those communities and I don't they they are all going to suddenly dispensary from the road.

It sounds to me like test only stations just have to jump through a few hoops to get "STAR" certified. Its just like the gold shield bull ****. I don't think its really going to change much of anything now that I realize that. As long as those shops have the ability to get certified then nothing will change.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Launching!

just do what i do and smog outa state **** ca and there bs laws and taxes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racerfox
just do what i do and smog outa state **** ca and there bs laws and taxes
Unfortunately it's illegal to live or have a job in CA without having your vehicle registered in CA. Whether or not it's enforced I don't know. But if you get caught then that would be bad.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Unfortunately it's illegal to live or have a job in CA without having your vehicle registered in CA. Whether or not it's enforced I don't know. But if you get caught then that would be bad.
yep. We really don't have much freedom to mod our cars, its more like being told whats ok and what isn't. It's kinda sad when I think about it that way, but it is what it is. I plan on making my car illegal after smog anyway. Local police leave me alone so I think I will be ok.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Robbie Wilson
Ok guys, I got my smog + registration in the mai a few days ago for CA. I need to get a smog on January 2nd. -_- And I must go to a brand new Star certified smog station the day after the program is launched, yippie. So whats the deal with these? Do they even exist yet? How strict?

My car needs a new egr valve so I already know I am going to fail, so now what do I do about it?

How much is that Bull **** repair going to cost me?

Also since I am now going to be on the Ca smog **** list what do you guys recommend for more power while being smog legal.

P1sc procharger or a sts rear mount turbo set up?

Any tips on how to pass smog would be great.
Rob, how did it work out for you? I live in north county and looking for a under table SMOG cert.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting thread. .. I heard about the STAR program but I wasn't sure what the story was. I have a 2000 WS.6 that been "modified" (lol) and I just don't want to forced to revert back to stock.

Quick Reply: Star smog