Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Star smog

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Star smog

Ok guys, I got my smog + registration in the mai a few days ago for CA. I need to get a smog on January 2nd. -_- And I must go to a brand new Star certified smog station the day after the program is launched, yippie. So whats the deal with these? Do they even exist yet? How strict?

My car needs a new egr valve so I already know I am going to fail, so now what do I do about it?

How much is that Bull **** repair going to cost me?

Also since I am now going to be on the Ca smog **** list what do you guys recommend for more power while being smog legal.

P1sc procharger or a sts rear mount turbo set up?

Any tips on how to pass smog would be great.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

All i know from what i read is that these certified Star stations will be the only stations you can take your car to they did this so that the under the table smog certs will go away the smog stations will abide under law. There are a couple threads on smog legal setups on this forum.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
All i know from what i read is that these certified Star stations will be the only stations you can take your car to they did this so that the under the table smog certs will go away the smog stations will abide under law. There are a couple threads on smog legal setups on this forum.
Yeah, well I guess I will have to just fix everything "wrong" with my car. That really, really sucks.

I have a feeling that the state is going to have a huge, "Holy ****" moment when hundreds or thousands of cars start immediately failing LOL.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, im kind off confused on this whole thing anyway, because it says that altough 99 and up dont have to get tailpiped, its at the discretion of the facility doing it wether to pass or not.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

This new smog stuff sucks, I'm sure its only going to get worst. Please let us know how all this smog process goes for you.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robbie Wilson
Ok guys, I got my smog + registration in the mai a few days ago for CA. I need to get a smog on January 2nd. -_- And I must go to a brand new Star certified smog station the day after the program is launched, yippie. So whats the deal with these? Do they even exist yet? How strict?

My car needs a new egr valve so I already know I am going to fail, so now what do I do about it?

How much is that Bull **** repair going to cost me?

Also since I am now going to be on the Ca smog **** list what do you guys recommend for more power while being smog legal.

P1sc procharger or a sts rear mount turbo set up?

Any tips on how to pass smog would be great.
This site will answer your questions on how to find a Star certified place

http://www.smogtips.com/star-smog-ch...on-program.cfm
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

I guess on the flip side, 2000+ cars got WAY BETTER. They don't even need a tail pipe sniffer if the visual and "computer" checks pass. LMAO. Now all the ls1's 00'+ can run trex all day long. lol. I hate to say this because I never wanted to buy a new car, but maybe it's time to invest in a 00'+ car now. That just pisses me off though because I put money into my lt1 . In fact, people could just slap on some shorties, port stock heads/cam, hollow out cats and pass smog! Only issue is that I get the feeling that visual will become way more strict for the newer cars, while the older cars have basically the same smog situation, minus the guy you could have overlook the visual part of the test. In fact, this might make air pollution worse as more people can get away with actually POUTING because there is no more sniffer??? WTF that is *** backwards thinking. We should eliminate the visual and only check for safety equipment and tailpipe emissions. I swear CA has it all wrong.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused myself after reading this thread. So all 1999 and under vehicles will have to go to a "Star certified" smog station and the 2000 and up can go to a regular test station? These California smog laws get worse every year.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I started reading up on this after I saw this and as far as I could read is that all test only and gold stat registrations will now have to go to a certified STAR station. And this is for all cars even 2000+ years. It's just that the 2000+years don't have to pass the sniffer just visual. But it also states that's its the right of the STAR station to determine weather the 2000 or up model vehicle is still emissions legal. So for example if you go there clacking with a big cam, they have to throw the the sniffer on it to make sure it passes.

And yea this **** is fucked up. I do pass smog when I put my cats and manifolds back on but my cat back is custom and they love to hassle me for it so I think I'm going to paint it black now lol
Old 12-27-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nope, CA has it right, (for them). They want your money or for you to buy a new car. This is not going to get any better.
Has anybody ever seen a bone stock turbo Buick?
In PRK?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"This is not going to get any better."

I agree. It is only going to get worse.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
Nope, CA has it right, (for them). They want your money or for you to buy a new car. This is not going to get any better.
Has anybody ever seen a bone stock turbo Buick?
In PRK?
Your right, that is what I hate the most about CA. It has never really been about emissions... Its about our money.

They get it one of two ways:

Getting us to spend every dime on trying to make our car "legal" (impossible by the way because laws are designed to nickle and dime us to death until we give up)

OR

Buy a new car

By buying a new car we fall subject to new regulations, stricter emissions, taxes on the new car, cost of ownership and depreciation.

I think I have decided to start boldly breaking laws I don't agree with and not give a sh*t about it.

I'm so tired of all the hoop-la.

I feel empowered to do so as an Fi INFP LOL. If any of you guys are into Myers Brig type stuff.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Or sell your camaro and get a old school and say **** you to the smog stations lol that's what I did
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

'75 & older requires no smog inspection. It may not always be that way.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Robbie Wilson
I guess on the flip side, 2000+ cars got WAY BETTER. They don't even need a tail pipe sniffer if the visual and "computer" checks pass. LMAO. Now all the ls1's 00'+ can run trex all day long. lol. I hate to say this because I never wanted to buy a new car, but maybe it's time to invest in a 00'+ car now. That just pisses me off though because I put money into my lt1 . In fact, people could just slap on some shorties, port stock heads/cam, hollow out cats and pass smog! Only issue is that I get the feeling that visual will become way more strict for the newer cars, while the older cars have basically the same smog situation, minus the guy you could have overlook the visual part of the test. In fact, this might make air pollution worse as more people can get away with actually POUTING because there is no more sniffer??? WTF that is *** backwards thinking. We should eliminate the visual and only check for safety equipment and tailpipe emissions. I swear CA has it all wrong.
They're doing a computer scan, anything other than the factory calibration = FAIL
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that as long as your car is tuned right, no CEL codes present and all on-board test check out that you'll be ok. Is this not the case? So there's not way to get your car passed under the table now?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
'75 & older requires no smog inspection. It may not always be that way.
Heck, California may go back to 1928 and the beginning of the Model A. They are after all the revenue they can get. CARB has no bounds.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What we need is a "car guy" to come into office.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Danny
What we need is a "car guy" to come into office.
Yes, he'll be on our side until he is sworn into office. Then he will take the "yellow brick road" to power, fame, fortune and fall into place.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary Wells tells no lies

Quick Reply: Star smog