Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

A Man Paid $70,000 to Store a Corvette He Stole for 23 Years, Then Confessed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Man Paid $70,000 to Store a Corvette He Stole for 23 Years, Then Confessed

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/man-pa...215600452.html

Or read here.

In 1989, a brand new Chevrolet Corvette was stolen from a dealership in San Diego. Over two decades later, the thief came clean.

He recently reported his crime to the police because storing the car simply got too expensive.

The stolen car had been in storage for 23 years and appears to have almost never been driven.

When the police recovered the car from the storage facility, they found that it had just 67 miles on the odometer, flat tires, and "it still had that new-car smell on the inside," according to the L.A. Times.

The man did not face charges since he cooperated with police, but the theft did not work to his financial advantage: Over more than two decades he spent $70,000 to store the red convertible, the L.A. Times reported.

According to the account San Diego Police Department auto theft detective Andrew Spear gave the L.A. Times, a lawyer representing the thief called the police to say his client had stopped paying the storage fees, and that a stolen car would be found when the unit was opened.

Spear says the lawyer told him the thief was a recent Irish immigrant who was leveraged into stealing and hiding the Corvette.

In 1983, monthly rent for the storage unit was $50; it has since climbed to $300, which is why the thief said he stopped paying.

Storage facility records revealed the $70,000 figure.

Once the car was recovered, it was given to the insurance company that had reimbursed the dealership for the lost vehicle in 1989. The company put air in the tires, recharged the batteries, cleaned off thick layers of dust, and sold it.

The buyer then sold it to Corky Rice, a Sherman Oaks car dealer, who sold it on eBay for $39,741, just slightly above the 1989 price.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to see pictures.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

its true.. corky works for glendale kia.
i saw the car. its clean *** f***

i work for kia btw.. service dept.

i see all the cars that they buy at the action..

me and some coworkers were arguing if the car still has dealer warranty lol since it was never sold !
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good point... I really would like to see it. You think he would mind if people go and see it?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

idk.. i talked to corky..

dude who stored it.. wanted 30k.. corky said no.. waited.. 2 months later gets a call .. they sit down and he took it home.. made some calls.. and bam!! corky got paid !!

dude who sold it was just waiting on pink.. he said he put it up on those small auto trader mags and ****.. for 17k not one call !! corky did some advertising and got over 1000+ phone calls for the car ..

they took it to the dealer.. ( new owner ) couple injectors had to be replaced and of course tires were squared.. top / paint / everything looked immaculate. ill try to get some pics !!

Quick Reply: A Man Paid $70,000 to Store a Corvette He Stole for 23 Years, Then Confessed