Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

dear engine builders (repost from Gen III internals)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dear engine builders (repost from Gen III internals)

Hey folks, here's the situation. I'm working on my 370 LQ4 bottom end, I just got my block back from the machine shop (cam bearings, hot tank, .030 over bore, ARP main stud install/line bore and crank polish) but they didn't give me bearing clearances. Now I have a micrometer set, and a buddy who deals King Bearings gave me a set to test with.

So here's my question, in order to verify proper clearance, is the procedure;

1. Mic the 5 main journals
2. Install the X main bearings and torque cap down to ARP spec
3. Set bore gauge (which I don't own yet) to X journal measurement and check the bearings to tightness or looseness?

Thanks in advance! I don't do this for a living, I just want the learning experience!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Free Bump for answers
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In a nutshell, that is correct. Usually a machine shop won't give you the specs unless you ask before the machining process. They'll mic the journals and bores and the difference will be your bearing tolerances. You also have to remember that machine shop measurement tools are alot more precise than anything we can buy.

Typically a standard set of bearings with a polished crank will work fine, though people do mix the bearings for that slight extra clearance allowed to be used in iron block applications. Don't forget your crank end play, rod end play, piston ring end gap, etc. Good luck with your build, I have a 370 in the works as well

Quick Reply: dear engine builders (repost from Gen III internals)