Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

First lost to an STI :/

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First lost to an STI :/

Pulled up to a stoplight with an 06/07 sti w/ exhaust. I've raced a few sti's and evo's before but I've never lost to an sti till' today. I understand a win is a win. Gave him the respect after the race but afterwards this guy had the nerve to say "It's Just a little four banger bro", well no **** it is lol. Anyways the plug to my coolant temp sensor came off during the race would that have caused my car to run differently? The idle started fluctuating and it sounded like it was about to shut off. i pulled over and popped it back in place and everything was normal.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Time for heads and cam. It has to be a crazy sti to beat my car. 400rwhp rapes considering they can't launch for ****. If they dont have 500awhp they usually dont stand a chance.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish I can do a heads/cam package right now but that'll probably be near July. What's your setup? I was thinking ls6 intake, 243 heads, and Torquer V2 cam for a daily driver. right now I'm just thinking of getting a nitrous setup. But i'm also a nitrous noob so I dont know what I could be getting myself into.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

people say nitrous is cheap... but most of those people arent running it completely safe. just a $500 kit with no safety options or even a decent tune. cheap compared to a turbo or supercharger? yes but cheap (under 1k) ... no. check the nitrous stickies and do alot of reading before u even think about it. heres a good place to start http://www.go-fast.org/z28/new_to_nitrous.html ...dont know if im allowed to post this link here (sorry mods if im not) but definately good reading for a nos noob.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup done the right way nitrous can gepretty expensive. The guy probably had a little more than exhaust and knew how to drive that thing. Can't believe he said that to you what a ******* lame
Old 04-28-2013, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

when you install a turbo it increases displacement so it may just be a 4 banger with the displacement of a 6.0.. turbos makes a huge difference.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
when you install a turbo it increases displacement so it may just be a 4 banger with the displacement of a 6.0...
lol wut
Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVOs and STIs are pretty badass cars. Theyre like the fbodies of imports. Winning or loosing to them isnt surprising. Too bad theyre too expensive though.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
lol wut
about every 14 psi you increase your displacement 100% so a 2.5 liter engine becomes a 5.0. your compressing the air and doubling the fuel.

http://www.edn.com/electronics-news/...a-700-HP-punch
Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

lol it doesnt literally increase displacement. It just makes it more usefull. If anything a roots type supercharger is the only type of FI that can say it "adds" displacement. But even then its not the same thing.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Engine displacement is the volume swept by all the pistons inside the cylinders of a reciprocating engine in a single movement from top dead centre (TDC) to bottom dead centre (BDC). It is commonly specified in cubic centimetres (cc), litres (l), or (mainly in North America) cubic inches (CID). Engine displacement does not include the total volume of the combustion chamber.

forcing air in does infact increase displacement or a turbo would never work. a turbo does not simply pump air in faster
Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

come up with like a grand (sell a kidney if u have to) and spray it... then race wearing pink, heart-shaped glasses and after u win yell "its just a little 8 banger" in a super gay voice and drive off laughing. problem solved

Last edited by kingof951; 04-28-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 AM
Staging Lane

and no one cares about what true displacement is. if u have a turbo yur car is fast... the end. what mikey z MEANT to say was that the volume of air in the cylinder of a turbo car pushing HIGH psi (how many psi that would take to actually double the volume im not sure and dont feel like crunching numbers) would be double that of a n/a car. therefore the amount of air and fuel (which is what makes the power in the engine and what is relative here) in the cylinder of the turbo car would normally be contained in a cylinder of a car with double the displacement therefore making similar hp at the engine of a vehicle with double the displacement. and since vehicles normally raced with much larger displacement are usually heavier... the smaller, lighter turbo'd car with the same amount of air and fuel running through it as the double displaced heavier car would make for a fast car. long story short... again i say if u have a turbo car pushing high psi yur car is fast... the end.

Last edited by kingof951; 04-28-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Boost artificially increases volumetric efficiency.

Nitrous cools the intake charge (making it denser), and provides more oxygen per cubic unit of intake charge than regular air.

Stop with the half-cocked horseshit an ricer math, people.

And OP, after spraying it and waxing his ***, your comment should be, "It's only a SINGLE CAM, Bro!"
Old 04-28-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

So much false info on this thread it's almost embarrassing. By the way your street car set up is exactly what I drive. Nitrous is a cheap way to get started. You can pick up everything you need to get started for just under 1k for a pretty safe set up. You don't need every bell and whistle. Supercharger/turbo? Good luck with a set up that costs less than 6k. Turbos are indeed a replacement for displacement. How the hell did you come to the conclusion evos and stis are the Fbodys of the import world. They have nothing in common. 14 psi roughly doubles your power was on 1 turbo for a stock Mitsubishi turbo. It doesn't really work that way otherwise why would there be different size turbos.

In all honesty you lost a race. He has a newer car and probably more money into it. (Especially if you don't even have heads and cam). Enjoy the car and don't spend a **** load of cash just to beat 1 guy enjoy the car if you decide it needs more power the torquer and 243 heads are a blast.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silvea
So much false info on this thread it's almost embarrassing. By the way your street car set up is exactly what I drive. Nitrous is a cheap way to get started. You can pick up everything you need to get started for just under 1k for a pretty safe set up. You don't need every bell and whistle. Supercharger/turbo? Good luck with a set up that costs less than 6k. Turbos are indeed a replacement for displacement. How the hell did you come to the conclusion evos and stis are the Fbodys of the import world. They have nothing in common. 14 psi roughly doubles your power was on 1 turbo for a stock Mitsubishi turbo. It doesn't really work that way otherwise why would there be different size turbos.

In all honesty you lost a race. He has a newer car and probably more money into it. (Especially if you don't even have heads and cam). Enjoy the car and don't spend a **** load of cash just to beat 1 guy enjoy the car if you decide it needs more power the torquer and 243 heads are a blast.
no **** evos have nothing in common with fbodies sherlock. I meant theyre both low 13 second cars and respond well to mods.

And turbos arent a replacement for displacement. They can be an alternative for a certain hp goal you have, but thats it. Kinda like nitrous or any other engine mod you can do. Im not even gonna argue that though, theres thousands of threads and articles you can read if you want to know why.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

And by the way displacement is referring the the air in the cylinder displaced. So condensed air to double that of a NA engine would mean twice the air displaced. So it does double the amount of air displaced in the cylinder. So it actually does double the displacement. And silvea if by bells and whistles u mean safety equipment that would ensure engine safety then yea I guess. Several safety measures are needed to ensure not destroying your engine. Doubling up on noids, window switches etc does get pricey.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Loss****
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kingof951
And by the way displacement is referring the the air in the cylinder displaced. So condensed air to double that of a NA engine would mean twice the air displaced. So it does double the amount of air displaced in the cylinder. So it actually does double the displacement. And silvea if by bells and whistles u mean safety equipment that would ensure engine safety then yea I guess. Several safety measures are needed to ensure not destroying your engine. Doubling up on noids, window switches etc does get pricey.
Well you are limited to the amount of displacement based upon your piston size, and stroke displacement is calculated as (Bore^2)x(stroke)x(number of cylinders)x.7854*

So you are limited by the actual amount of displaced air, otherwise you would need a larger stroke or larger bore.

However VE or Volumetric Efficiency is how well you cylinders "volume" is filled, its like looking at a glass cup and filling it with water, but with VE you do see over 100% and that is becasue you can actually fill volume with more than the capacity there is a point where the liquid or air is just a bit higher so you get over 100% VE.

Turbos, since they compress and suck in more air, fill the volume more efficiently and force the air into the cylinder, this does not increase your bore/stroke size so you do not have more CI, yes you are displacing more air, but displacement in an engine refers to how much air that engine can pump by itself from top to bottom. VE is the reference to the amount of actual air being displaced through the engine.

displacement in regards to CI or L or CC, is Dynamic, where as VE is the static part of the equation that takes everything into account.

*.7854 is Pi divided by 4. I just simplified the formula
Old 04-28-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your post confuses me. You say it displaces more air but does not create displacement. Well duh it doesn't increase the size of your engine but it does increase how much air is shoved in. We aren't talking about increasing the amount of engine displacement we are talking about the amount of air displaced. Displacement is done all wonky. Cars are rated soley on the size of the engine under vacuum. This is because when they made up displacement there wasn't forced induction. Now they rate engines on how big they are not how much air they are actually displacing. Displacement is a dinosaur of measurement.

Quick Reply: First lost to an STI :/