Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Pulling engine from the bottom next weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
yes adam usually. between Christian and i, we've pulled the motors over 5 times. 3x alone on my car, and like 4x on his.

the best and fastest way is to unbolt the harness from the pcm and inside the rocker panel, unbolt all grounds from the body
lol, yeah if ya do things right the first time you don't have to keep pulling the engine haha.

I do see how it is less connectors, I am only saying that there is no one right way, fastest, yes, but best would be the way that each person finds works for them, in the car world everyone has an opinion and opinions are like ********, everyone has one and they all stink.

I found that just quickly undoing the grounds and what have you worked for me, but then again I don't need to pull the engine every two weeks because I did something incorrectly.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We never had to pull an engine out because something was done incorrectly.. Gils original motor dropped a lifter he went LQ4. That craigslist special lasted all of 10k miles. Then we put in his new motor and yes been waiting on a trans. Then my 150k mile stock SS dropped a lifter and we put the 02 LS1 out of the 02 WS6 we parted out into it. We also put the 4.8 set up in my 99 SS I bought as a roller. And we did my old 95 Z28 before I sold it.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
lol, yeah if ya do things right the first time you don't have to keep pulling the engine haha.

I do see how it is less connectors, I am only saying that there is no one right way, fastest, yes, but best would be the way that each person finds works for them, in the car world everyone has an opinion and opinions are like ********, everyone has one and they all stink.

I found that just quickly undoing the grounds and what have you worked for me, but then again I don't need to pull the engine every two weeks because I did something incorrectly.
they have all been different engines, as christian said. and , with chrisitan its been on different cars

if you wanna talk about pulling something that needs to be redone, lets post pics of that rats nest of a harness on the purple car. who did the swap? ill give you three guesses but youll only need one

Last edited by Raptor_WS6; 07-02-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:00 AM
TECH Resident

On that note...I'm out of this thread LOL!

Op if you have any questions Lmk or if you need a helping hand I'm always down.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oChristiano
On that note...I'm out of this thread LOL!

Op if you have any questions Lmk or if you need a helping hand I'm always down.
pansy lol
Its all in good fun
Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
they have all been different engines, as christian said. and , with chrisitan its been on different cars

if you wanna talk about pulling something that needs to be redone, lets post pics of that rats nest of a harness on the purple car. who did the swap? ill give you three guesses but youll only need one
If it was touched after it left the shop that's not my responsibility, when it left, it was a good when it left the shop, only thing it needed was the plastic wire covering which I asked if he wanted me to come do later on, he said no it's cool. So rats nest? Not my work.

Let's get this back on track this is for Dave and pulling his engine from the bottom, Keliente's how to is pretty spot on, it looks like you have what you need Dave.

If Gil/Christian wish to further discuss anything else you know how to reach me.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

wow, I go way for a day and it turns into a e-fight. lol.

I'm so pissed. I just got an email from Harbor Freight.
They shipped the dollies and everything from Camarillo yesterday, except the lift.
That was shipped from SC, and expected to arrive on 7/10/13.

It looks like I have to drive to HF in Pasadena and pick one up then return the one that gets shipped to me. I was trying to avoid that in the first place.

So, with my odometer at 152K+, what are the thoughts on changing cam, rod or main bearings?

I did get new LS7 lifters and LS2 timing chain.

Debating on getting a new oil pump or not.
There's a Melling M295 in Glendale for $69.

I was thinking of just shimming the stock spring.
I've ported several OEM pumps. Heck I think I even have one or two of them in my garage.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say not a bad idea to do. I would say pick up a new pump unless you are confident in your pumps lasting.

As far as changing the cam, if the lobes look good with no pits it should be ok, no scoring or excessive wear either.

If you are planning on going to a larger cam, then that would be a good time to do so.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Old 07-02-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
If it was touched after it left the shop that's not my responsibility, when it left, it was a good when it left the shop, only thing it needed was the plastic wire covering which I asked if he wanted me to come do later on, he said no it's cool. So rats nest? Not my work.

Let's get this back on track this is for Dave and pulling his engine from the bottom, Keliente's how to is pretty spot on, it looks like you have what you need Dave.

If Gil/Christian wish to further discuss anything else you know how to reach me.
Calling
Old 07-02-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HEYPAL01impala

That made me laugh
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you dont need a crane. I just jack the car up progressively on each side, adding block of wood under the jackstands to get it high enough. You need a tall jack, and at the end you'll need a thick piece of wood between the jack and frame.

I always leave the wheels bolted up.

remove driveshaft & shifter, wiring, and hoses (brake, coolant, vacuum, etc). unbolt trans crossmember and lay trans on dolly. unbolt top of struts, unbolt k-member, start jacking car up, making sure nothing is being pulled. once car is high enough, roll it out!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how I do them from the bottom

Quick Reply: Pulling engine from the bottom next weekend