Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Is this still a good Heads & Cam Combo???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this still a good Heads & Cam Combo???

That will pass the sniffer? I already Have MAC Headers & LS6 Intake to get the full power out of it. I just need to pass the sniffer, not visual.
Looking to get this with the 224 224 114 Cam

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1159-pr...m-package.aspx
Old 10-28-2013, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you only need to worry about the sniffer, I'd recommend something like a CheatR V3. Something along the lines of 219/230 .607/.607 115+2 LSA or 116 LSA when paired with stock cats or good aftermarket catalytic converters. Mine passed smog easily with a custom cam along those lines, with stock catalytic converters, JBA shorty headers, and 2.5" true duals. Sounded pretty close to stock, too. You might want to give them a call and mention that you are trying to pass the CA sniffer test and see if they have a solid recommendation that's proven to pass with a good tune. Otherwise, you can ask your local speed shop that is going to tune the car, since they should have a lot of experience with the smog issue and performance upgrades.

Those heads in the package are good heads. Many people run them and they are a great budget head choice.

Last edited by ZexGX; 10-28-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone I've spoken too, including Texas Speed, has said the 224r (the cam you mentioned) is as big as you can go on a stock displacement engine and still pass California smog. Even then it requires a rather tight tune. I've heard it suggested that means dyno tune, not off the shelf or via internet kinda tune.

My plan was to use the 224r with a 408 (stroked LQ4) so that I could get the power, but easily pass the smog police here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

Quick Reply: Is this still a good Heads & Cam Combo???