Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

needing some smog and other help in CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needing some smog and other help in CA

So here is where I am at. I have a 00 WS6 that I love. Due to military and some other bugs the car has mostly been sitting for the last 3 years. I want to get it back on the road but lovely CA says I have to do a smog.

Here are my concerns,

1. the car has been sitting.. less than 1,000 miles in 3 years.

2. does a tune make a difference? As far as the power train goes, its stock except a loud mouth cat back and a tune by guy in Baton Rouge. Its been so long I can't remember what he did, but it wasn't anything crazy

3. Any chance of passing?? I've herd about the seafoam trick to help, but not sure if that will even do the trick

I plan on doing an engine build so realistically just need it to pass this one time.

Also, I have an idling problem, where when driving, If i push the clutch in, it revs to 2k and only drops to normal idol when I stop. Some stops it almost stalls out. I've herd from vacuum leak, tune, MAF, IAC valve. Any help, or good LS shop in socal?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's all I know. If a car is on non op, a smog is required to register for vehicle operation again. A cat-back won't hurt getting the car smogged as long as the o2 sensors have not been related. A tune shouldn't affect getting smogged as long as it had nothing to do with turning off the check engine lite. AutoZone sells a product 'garanted to pass.' Pricey, but it seems to work. A tune up won't hurt at all. Sea foam is a great product. Try it, is fun. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sitting for 3 years should not keep the car from passing emissions testing. Give it a good tune up. As long as it is tuned up and running right and has functioning catalytic converters, it should pass emissions just fine. Sea Foam does not need to be used on a car that has been sitting. Sea foam primarily cleans and breaks up deposits. A car that hasn't been driven, shouldn't be forming engine or fuel system deposits just sitting in the garage.

A computer tune shouldn't effect emissions, unless the tune turned off any emissions related sensors. If any sensors are turned off, it will fail emissions testing.

As far as I know, the three things your car must pass in California:
-visual inspection. Checking for stock parts, and emissions equipment is present, connected, and unaltered. Aftermarket parts usually need a CARB exemption number.
-tail pipe emissions.
-OBD readiness monitors. Checking that the computer shows all sensors are functioning and ready. Checking for codes.

Last edited by Wheelman916; 06-07-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply: needing some smog and other help in CA