Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

How much is it usually for a refresh/rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much is it usually for a refresh/rebuild?

Im looking to get my 408 rebuilt. And i got quoted around 1800? Does this seem about right?
Old 12-18-2016, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just depends on many things

Why does it need a rebuild first of all?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not a engine builder but I am a transmission man so I know somethings about what things cost. I guess it would depend on what you/the shop considers a rebuild. I would think it should consist of new bearings/gaskets,bore to make cylinders round,new pistons/rings,valvejob just to name a few things. When I did my 4.3 I did the labor and bought the kit and I had the machine shop do the boring/cam bearings and I had about 2K into it. So... if they are doing the complete job with parts/labor it sounds a little low.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Burken01
Just depends on many things

Why does it need a rebuild first of all?
My ls7 lifters took a dump .. left alot of gold glitter in oil.. and has about 25k miles on it... so just want to see if the bearings are ok etc etc
Old 12-18-2016, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
I'm not a engine builder but I am a transmission man so I know somethings about what things cost. I guess it would depend on what you/the shop considers a rebuild. I would think it should consist of new bearings/gaskets,bore to make cylinders round,new pistons/rings,valvejob just to name a few things. When I did my 4.3 I did the labor and bought the kit and I had the machine shop do the boring/cam bearings and I had about 2K into it. So... if they are doing the complete job with parts/labor it sounds a little low.
I just need the engine work done.. i can do the gaskets n heads etc with the help of a few buddies of mine..
Old 01-26-2017, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Ebay is your friend for decent priced built LS motors.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 349 Likes on 225 Posts

Don't cut corners on the rebuild or the labor. Building an LS is timing consuming and requires checking ALL the clearances. It's really more than a backyard build. I know at least 3 guys will chime in and say, "I slapped mine together and it was fine and made 1500hp" , but that is luck, not skill. If you have the tools and time, you can do it yourself, otherwise, find a race engine shop(NOT a rebuilder, you'll thank me later) and go from there.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
Don't cut corners on the rebuild or the labor. Building an LS is timing consuming and requires checking ALL the clearances. It's really more than a backyard build. I know at least 3 guys will chime in and say, "I slapped mine together and it was fine and made 1500hp" , but that is luck, not skill. If you have the tools and time, you can do it yourself, otherwise, find a race engine shop(NOT a rebuilder, you'll thank me later) and go from there.
You replied to a 3 year old thread.

Quick Reply: How much is it usually for a refresh/rebuild?