Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Colorado People- Emissions and DMV referee questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado People- Emissions and DMV referee questions

So I moved to Colorado and was planning on doing a turbo setup in my 2006 CTS-V but after talking to a DMV referee and Air Care what in the actual ****.

How much of a pain in the *** is it going to be doing a turbo setup in my car? I am about to have to run it on the dyno which isn't a big deal, it has dual cats and with HPTuners I can deal with the readiness conditions and **** but he made it sound like I would have to have everything stock (emissions related) which on a turbo setup would be hard. And it would still not pass visual check so then I would have to apply for a new plate? Which sounded like he was telling me to get a collector's plate which only allows me to drive it 4500 miles a year..?!

I think the guy I talked to had no idea what he was talking about but who has done this in Colorado recently? Need some help to see if its even worth it. I am thinking of buying a truck but I want to turbo it too...so kinda need some answers either way.

Last edited by Aculous; 12-21-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Denver? It's pretty strict on what you can do. I failed having after market cats. Though I pass emissions with flying colors. You have a few options. A: put your car to stock every two years to pass. B: move to a county that doesn't require emissions. C: pass once stock an find the drive by sniffers an drive by them hoping to get a quick pass an not have to in for testing. Oh an don't go to the highlands ranch testing site. Why cause there
Old 12-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toes
Denver? It's pretty strict on what you can do. I failed having after market cats. Though I pass emissions with flying colors. You have a few options. A: put your car to stock every two years to pass. B: move to a county that doesn't require emissions. C: pass once stock an find the drive by sniffers an drive by them hoping to get a quick pass an not have to in for testing. Oh an don't go to the highlands ranch testing site. Why cause there
No I'm in Weld County. Yea I am wondering whether I sell the car or not...emissions out here are ridiculous.

Did you have to put CO stamped cats on it? Thats ridiculous but I have a neighbor that had to do that and he drives a ******* 1st gen dodge diesel I don't think the truck even came with cats.

I am going to try and talk to a referee again and see what they say. They told me with the cats that are on my car and the dogshit tune that some ******* locked on my ecu it will pass the dyno run but I have no idea. I don't have to do the dyno run until 2018 I think.

Still looking for people in the area that can tune the car though. Seems like modifying your car is not really a big thing out here but I may just not know the right people.

Quick Reply: Colorado People- Emissions and DMV referee questions