Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Moving to Phoenix - Inspection help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to Phoenix - Inspection help?

So I’m going to moving to Phoenix in June, and am hoping to bring my Camaro down with me eventually. I understand Maricopa County requires vehicle inspections, but I keep seeing conflicting information about exactly what gets tested (sniffer, codes, visual?). Even a call to the inspection station left me scratching my head..

My car is an 02 Z28, H/C/I. I also have full aftermarket exhaust (its pretty loud), but I do have functioning cats. My car came equipped with AIR (emissions), but I deleted the pump and the lines. I still have all that junk, but my headers have no provisions for re-installation of the AIR pump on them. I also have my rear O2 sensors deactivated in my tune.

For anyone familiar with the inspection process, how boned am I? Are there any good shops in the area that could help me get through the inspection? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I researched this for a possible move to the Phoenix area and as long as the SES light works (KOEO-on) and turns off when the car is started it will pass the first part. The second part will be a computer scan that will scan rpm, and sensor functions as well as any obd2 and readiness status. If your tune is done right and show readiness status, you should be good to go.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife just got her obd2 car done today in maricopa county. They plugged into the computer for rediness and did the gas cap test. That was it. Pretty simple. She was in and out in a few minutes. Hope that helps! We just moved here a few months ago. Its a fantasitc city and state.

We live 20 mins west of phoenix.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, just make sure you don't have an engine light on and the proper codes have been tuned out. No sniffer, no visual. Welcome!
Old 04-10-2017, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Moving to Phoenix - Inspection help?