Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Any Nevada peeps here? Emissions/front plate/tint question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Nevada peeps here? Emissions/front plate/tint question

Mrs and I likely going to be moving out to Vegas next year so I'm researching a few basics so I can prepare myself car wise.

1. I know Clark County requires emissions testing. Would a mostly stock car with an On3 turbo kit (retaining cats and emissions equipment) with small cam and heads be a problem? I've never dealt with emissions testing on modified cars before so I'm not sure where the boundary is. Someone told me that it's OBDII testing so all the sensors just have to read "Ready" to pass. I don't know if that's all there is to it, or what parameters would cause a sensor to not read Ready...

2. I read that front plates are required on cars that have the ability to mount one. My 01 T/A does not. The plate cover has been bondo'd in to the front bumper to eliminate the seam. Would I run into problems without a front plate in NV? What about driving in to CA like that?

3. 20% tint all around. I think Legal is 35% with a 7% buffer from what I was reading. Would 20% be a problem?

Thanks! Looking forward to being part of the NV Fbody community soon :-)
Old 07-04-2017, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Might want to look through this site for 411 on what can/can't happen

http://www.dmvnv.com/emission.htm

with that said maybe there is the "$300 friend" smog guy/station that can get around whatever issues that may be an obstacle with your car. That situation here in Calif. is long gone for the most part, especially on OBD2 cars
Old 07-05-2017, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're talking to the wrong guys ****** there are still a ton around in Cali.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should not have issues with passing smog with your set up.
The front plate thing is a LAW, it depends on the officer and or your demeanor some could care less.
As far as tint, it is similar to the front plate deal. They know how hot it gets here and know most everyone has dark tint.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by silvea
You're talking to the wrong guys ****** there are still a ton around in Cali.
sure there are...just for those of us who get the "STAR" test only notices....Have not found a STAR shop that will play the game

My car is fine for passing...I have friends who can't get the STAR shops to play

non STAR testing...yeah I know a shop

PM if you have 411 on STAR ones that do in the L.A., Valley area

Quick Reply: Any Nevada peeps here? Emissions/front plate/tint question