Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Need 1 or 2 cats for emissions in CO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 1 or 2 cats for emissions in CO?

So I bought LTs, ORY, and all the rest of the exhaust to the rear bumper and then I had to moved to Colorado where I need to get emissions testing done. My question is will my emissions pass with one bullet cat installed after the ORY, or do I need two bullet cats, one on each side of the ORY to pass emissions?
Old 02-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and I am aware that I will have to run O2 sensors before and after the cat regardless of where it's at. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

So I may be able to find the answer with the search, when I searched before I logged in I didn't get much info. But then I logged in and posted without searching. Seems like logging in then searching gives more results. But if anyone has experience I'd like to hear about it!!
Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

You might want to try the regional forum section. I'm pretty sure here in CT as long as you have cats in place and no check engine light on there is no problem. Here they just look under car to see if they are there and then plug into OBD. In know guys who have gutted cats but tuned so no CEL. But every state may be different.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

As mentioned above, it all depends on the type of testing. If there is a strict visual inspection in your state, then you won't be able to pass with LT headers no matter how many cats you have (because moving the cat location is not legal, though not every state checks for this.) So I'll move this thread to the proper regional section.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe I should rephrase...... since I'm unfamiliar with the CO emissions testing process.
How many cats does it take to keep the check engine light away?
And/Or
Pass a sniff test? (If they do those on CO)
Will one bullet cat do the job installed after the y-pipe, or do I need 1 on each side of the y-pipe after the headers?
Obviously I will have O2 sensors before and after the cat(s) for the CEL.
Thanks y'all!

Quick Reply: Need 1 or 2 cats for emissions in CO?