Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

C.A.R.B. question for swap parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005 | 05:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default C.A.R.B. question for swap parts

I'm building up an LS2 engine (see my signature). Bought the shortblock from SDPC, they recommend taking the intake, fuel rails, TB, accessories, PCM, etc. off from an LS1 and putting them on here.

Since it is now definite that I'm moving to San Diego in June, I'm a little concerned with this approach. Are the smog referees going to have fits that there are LS1 parts on an LS2 block? Or do they not run the block #s, so it will simply pass off as an LS1?

Since LS1 parts are standard production parts rather than aftermarket, will they fall under Carb EO rules if my block is identified? Or will everything be cool?

Someone please help clear this up for me. I would really like to get my car registered out there and not have to worry about registering in a different state and all that hassle if I can find a way to make all this work out. Need to get a clearer picture of just WHAT the specific rules on this are going to be, though.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2005 | 01:39 PM
Teching In

smog techs do not look at block numbers or cyl head numbers,they try to look for aftermarket parts and that all oe smog equiptment is there(i.e. smog pump,egr,ect).ls2 block is physically the same as a ls1 and if you use all oe parts on it,then the only thing you have to worry about is the tail pipe emissions if you are not going to run stock internals.
Old 03-15-2005 | 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, good to know. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005 | 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, just make your smog setup matches your VCM model year, they won't know what model the block is but they will be able to tell what model year your VCM is. Make sure you have all the smog equipment applicable to that model year VCM

Hah... now we will have an 89LT1Formula and an 89LS1Formula