Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

What could they do??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005 | 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default What could they do??

Ok guys,

Im about to install Pacesetters and TSPs True Dual exhaust. Im not gonna put cats in this setup. I dont care about smog...my buddy says he knows a smog place that will pass anything (provided you know the righ tperson)...even if that falls through, I still intend to keep my Edelbrock short headers, stock cat/y and magnaflow...so if need be, I will reinstall my old system.

Question is COPS....what could I get pulled over for? noise? what could they do if they find out I dont have cats?

A fix it ticket I could care less about, like i said, I intend to keep my old legal system. What beyond a fix it ticket could I possibly face???
Old 04-10-2005 | 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

they could inpound your car and give you one fattt ticket. i am running a similar setup you want. luckily i have not been hasstled one bit.
Old 04-10-2005 | 12:45 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I dont have any cats on my car, cops have been near me at lights etc... they didnt even turn there heads. I guess they didnt smell any of the fumes luckily. But if your caught with out cats the fine is something rediculous like 2 thousand bucks or something like that. I always keep an eye out for cops though and keep the rpm's as low as possible when I see them. I figure that if I dont give them a reason to pull me over, they wont. You will be fine
Old 04-10-2005 | 01:34 PM
Teching In

they wont really impound your car unless you are doing something illegal(sideshows,illegal drags)or if the cop is a real dick and he thinks you are giving him attitude then he might just tow you.what they will give you is a fix-it ticket that only a referee can sign off,meaning you will have to be 100% smog legal for them to sign off on it.this method is easier for the police,because they dont have to know what parts are legel and what is not.they just let the referees sort it out.i have seen this happen alot to ricers but not to muscle cars.
Old 04-10-2005 | 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, most cops usually like our kind of cars. As long as you give him a thumbs up or some sort of approval look, you should be ok.
Old 04-10-2005 | 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe I should change my license plate from "Me 1 CHP 0" to "IDIGCHP" then
Old 04-10-2005 | 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

boy if it was sound based than you should be ok what with all those ricers with oversized mufflers, and idiots with 2 billion watts of base comming through there stereo mounted in a $500 piece o **** car.
Old 04-11-2005 | 12:13 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by nevadadave
boy if it was sound based than you should be ok what with all those ricers with oversized mufflers, and idiots with 2 billion watts of base comming through there stereo mounted in a $500 piece o **** car.
I hear you, before I took the cats off I tried to listen to other cars to see how loud some of them are. Man, I was surprised at how freakin loud some peoples cars are. You can hear them from so damn far away. These no way a cops going to pull me over for having a loud car
Old 04-11-2005 | 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

There are a number of cars that are loud *** hell and cops right next to them and they don't get pulled over. Ricers are always getting pulled over, probably because of the annoying sound. Cops do like our cars more than the ricers. There have been numerous times when I have been with a number of friends just hanging out getting starbucks and cops just come over and we have conversations with them, and they give us props for our cars. And as soon as the ricers get there, the cops tell them that they can't just hang around in the parking lot. pretty cool stuff.
Old 04-11-2005 | 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmfcamaro
they could inpound your car and give you one fattt ticket. i am running a similar setup you want. luckily i have not been hasstled one bit.
That cuz you live in Rosemond!

Thats nearly officially BFE
Old 04-12-2005 | 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

I don't have cats I got pulled over the other because my exhaust is too loud the cop made me open my hood and didn't know what he was looking for. All he saw was my clear lid and my vacuum gage line and he said that my intake looks modified he didn't even look under my car.
Old 04-12-2005 | 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
I don't have cats I got pulled over the other because my exhaust is too loud the cop made me open my hood and didn't know what he was looking for. All he saw was my clear lid and my vacuum gage line and he said that my intake looks modified he didn't even look under my car.
What part of OC do you live in? WHere did you get pulled over?

My camaro is my once a week car, but looks like my honda is on its last legs and the camaro might have to put in some time chuggin me around. I live in Huntington Beach and work in Foothill Ranch, and I know the cops in Foothill Ranch/Lake Forrest/Irvine can be dicks sometimes!
Old 04-13-2005 | 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hitmeoff
What part of OC do you live in? WHere did you get pulled over?

My camaro is my once a week car, but looks like my honda is on its last legs and the camaro might have to put in some time chuggin me around. I live in Huntington Beach and work in Foothill Ranch, and I know the cops in Foothill Ranch/Lake Forrest/Irvine can be dicks sometimes!
I live in fullerton i got pulled over in anaheim.

Quick Reply: What could they do??