Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Colorado emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Colorado emissions question

I'm just checking to see if I understand this correctly.

When I bought my car I got a 4 year waiver for having to get emissions done. That will end next year and I'll have to get them done then.

I'm just wondering what kind of testing/inspection they do here. I'm thinking of keeping AIR, running kooks headers, getting a catted y and running GMMG for the exhaust. Will this fail emissions or will I be ok?

Also I was told that you can get fined by the police if your exhaust is louder than stock. Is that true?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

They are supossed to to a visual on your EGR and cats, but everytime I've been there, they haven't. Check out Air Care Colorado for all the exciting details. If you poke around enough on there, you can even find the limits they use. I couldn't tell you myself if you will pass or not with those mods. Just warm your car up real good and run some B-12 (1 can) or acetone (3oz to 10gal) in your gas to drop emissions some.

As far as fines for loud exhaust, I have never been hassled and my truck is straight piped.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

If the cop wants to be an *******, u can get a ticket for your exhaust being to load, there is a 80 decible noise limit within city limit (denver). as far as emmissions go, make sure your exhaust is past your rear axle, cats are on and thats about it, oh yea, your check engine light cant be on.......
Old 06-12-2005, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure I'd pass any kind of visual inspection. My car doesn't have EGR but it does have AIR (which I plan to leave on). Now to find decent prices for the headers/exhaust I want...
Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 PM
TMF
On The Tree

my car passed when it was stock, but I need to get it inpected now with all my new mod's. I think it'll pass, but I was wondering if they check noise levels, cause it's loud with the loudmouth, anybody know ?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

I was just in CO. and I heard a camaro so loud I didn't think he had a muffler... and then my buddies told me there were no smog in CO because I might be moving there shortly. NOW i'm really confused...
Old 07-15-2005, 01:43 PM
TMF
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2 FASST SS
I was just in CO. and I heard a camaro so loud I didn't think he had a muffler... and then my buddies told me there were no smog in CO because I might be moving there shortly. NOW i'm really confused...
my loudmouth does not have a muffler either, only a 4" chamber section, it's fnnn loud. there is emission testing here only and not every year, since i bought my car in 01 i've only had it tested once, but it's due now.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2 FASST SS
Depends where you live, some areas do not require emissions out here. Primarilly the mountain and northern areas dont have emissions from what I understand. Denver and the eastern part of the state do require the e-test.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i wont pass the denver area testing.

they do plug in, visual and sniffer.

*need to get po box for mountain area :hm:
Old 07-25-2005, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

I have a grandfather who lives in northern Colorado outside of city limits and they don't require him to do any emissions testing which is good because I think he'd fail with all of his old cars.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:47 AM
TMF
On The Tree

My car passed inspection last week, with flying colors, not even close to the limits. Everybody in there heard heard the thunder. The attendant even made comments that "it did quite well". I wonder what cam I could do, and still pass ?

Quick Reply: Colorado emissions question