Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CHP wants to crack down on Modded Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys from posting in the "western Forum". (surfing around). But damn, that is just fucked up! Also "would use $5 million in federal money".. We are paying for this **** too.. So, technically we all should get invloved in this ****! I could think of better ways to spend 5 mill.. LIKE MAYBE MORE DAMN TRACKS!

Last edited by waterbug1999; 08-11-2005 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ah man, there went my plans...

I was just going to install this spoiler

and this sweet *** sticker
Attached Thumbnails CHP wants to crack down on Modded Cars-wrxspoiler.jpg   CHP wants to crack down on Modded Cars-honda009001.jpg  
Old 08-11-2005, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think they're saying that the guages & stickers are signs indicating that ther may be illegal modifications on the car. not that the guages & stickers are illegal. unless, i guess, if the guages and stickers clearly obstructs the driver's vision.

because there are many other vehicles with stickers and decals advertising their businesses and such.....like plumbers, churches, etc.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ****. I bought a 96 Geo Metro when they were new and I had a flowmaster sticker on the back window and tinted windows. I feel like such a rebel. California is a joke. The officers of "Drag-Net" have hotrods of their own at home. I remember getting pulled over in my 79TA on xmas of all days. I was going 3 miles over limit and he was givin me ****. We live in the Land of smog, dailey traffic jams, and dumb bastards who signal only while turning

P.s these are the same dumbasses that made a law for cell phones while driving, yet the police officers have a desktop computer in their cars with cell phones and walkie talkies who cant wear seatbelts?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

lets all move
Old 08-11-2005, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

i am with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

were to????
Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

What its going to come down to is, cops are the only ones that are going to own modified vehicles because you know they arent going to pull their parts off their cars. The funds they receive for all the tickets they write is far less than what the aftermarket companies make so now they are going to be putting companies out of business. The people that make these laws are so ignorant. They are changing the way laws are interpreted. Basically they are stereotyping people and their cars. If you car looks fast it must be modified. In my opinion ground effects makes a car look like a performance vehicle. So everyone with ground effects gets pulled over? Like the person stated above, if your mexican what does that mean you came here illegally? If you are not from the US does it automatically mean your a terrorist? If your head is shaved does that mean your part of the KKK. Its all bull crap. Look at our governor, he wanted the consitution amended so he can run for president. Come on now. $5 million dollars can be better spent on fighting terrorism as I see on the news everyday how many places are still vulnerable to attack.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

nicley said
Old 08-12-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

while i agree it isnt the best way to go about it, it does have a good agenda behind it. they are trying to stop street racing and the accidents/deaths a result of it. Its basically a catch 22, 75% of the population is all up in arms about teens out there racing and dying, so when they come up with something, but god forbid it would actually target the people who might be racing, Heavens now its agism, or stereotyping. But heres the thing guys, if people were not out there modin their cars to street race, (i am not saying that everyone out there does it to race on the street) but a good majority do, then they would not be cracking down on it. If there werent street racing and everyone would simply go to the track or not race at all then you wouldnt have to worry about it.

Yea i totally agree with that it sucks and a waste of 5 mil, but something has to give here. The government can never please everyone. Its like as soon as someone dies in a DUI accident people want the police to crack down on it, well when they set up a DUI task force or a check point, now they are pissed because they are getting stopped or have to wait through a check point. Well you can not have it both ways people.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transambandit
while i agree it isnt the best way to go about it, it does have a good agenda behind it. they are trying to stop street racing and the accidents/deaths a result of it. Its basically a catch 22, 75% of the population is all up in arms about teens out there racing and dying, so when they come up with something, but god forbid it would actually target the people who might be racing, Heavens now its agism, or stereotyping. But heres the thing guys, if people were not out there modin their cars to street race, (i am not saying that everyone out there does it to race on the street) but a good majority do, then they would not be cracking down on it. If there werent street racing and everyone would simply go to the track or not race at all then you wouldnt have to worry about it.

Yea i totally agree with that it sucks and a waste of 5 mil, but something has to give here. The government can never please everyone. Its like as soon as someone dies in a DUI accident people want the police to crack down on it, well when they set up a DUI task force or a check point, now they are pissed because they are getting stopped or have to wait through a check point. Well you can not have it both ways people.
A BIG problem with your argument is that driving under the influence (of alcohol, for example) is against the law; therefore, a task force or check point is catching people who are currently breaking the law.

Targeting modded cars is a pre-emptive measure, based on the presumption that it will prevent street racing and deaths. Having a modded car (or one that looks modded) does not mean that you will break the law, that you are currently breaking the law, or that you street race. There are already laws against driving recklessly, speeding, driving faster than conditions permit, etc.

Using the DUI example, this is equivalent to arresting someone consuming alcohol, before they drive their car, irregardless if they intended to or not. They are being arrested solely for the fact that they are drinking and because they own a vehicle. We now have an equivalent comparison

We are being profiled based on the fact that people who street race, mod their cars to do so. A person who drives under the influence, must consume alcohol (in our example) to do so. Is it a crime to drink alcohol? Does everyone who drinks alcohol drive under the influence? Then should we ticket someone at the bar who drinks a beer and has a set of keys?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes but there are several modifications that are done to cars that make them Non-street legal, meaning, it is against the law. since modded cars are the ones that are doing the street racing, it seems logical to target them. If the car is not street legal then you get a ticket and get towed. It is an infraction that is all. They really arent adding anymore laws or anything like that, these things were all ready in the vehicle code as violations and now they are starting a task force to crack down on it, its just like when they have a speeding task force, etc.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, maybe there are cars that are modified and illegal and are breaking the law, but having an after market spoiler or gauge pods and stickers are not illegal, and should not be sole reasons to pull you over and do an inspection. THAT is presuming you are guilty before you are innocent. THAT is not probable cause.
Tint on the front or not wearing a seat belt, car too low, car too loud (which is subjective), driving wreckless, these are all things that are reasons to be pulled over.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wildman
Tint on the front or not wearing a seat belt, car too low, car too loud (which is subjective), driving wreckless, these are all things that are reasons to be pulled over.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Launching!

To add to the lunacy of this "law' (ahem...profiling).

Most of my impromptu "street races" come from "stock cars": Porsches, Vettes, BMWs, guys in trucks, moms in SUVs, Mercedes and there's always some ******* on the 5 in a van racing around.

None of these cars have stickers, exhaust, wings or even properly inflated tires.

What about them?

People that don't see the problem with this are just people that haven't been targeted yet... YET! Once you're pulled over, have everyone staring at you on the side of the road, shaking their head like you're some "criminal", then you'll cry BULLSHIT, too.

People don't think things are problems, until they're THEIR PROBLEMS.

We as united car enthusiasts should be the solution.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All I know is that I drive around San Diego all the time in an LS1 w/ longtubes, no cats, cutout, and a 110 LSA camshaft and I love it, never been harrassed.. course I have no stickers and no fancy spoiler

Except now my car is down so I bought a 99 FRC and its stock and slow
Old 08-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Teching In

See i'm moving from good old indiana to Socal in 2 weeks and you give me hope about my long tubes and !EGR
Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

I drive around long tubes, no cats, cutout (capped), and a dump

never been harassed yet. She smells sweet at idle too

Also have Illinois plates tho :-x
Old 08-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Teching In

excellent, i'll hold on to my indiana plates as long as i can! lol
Old 08-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by craparo
I drive around long tubes, no cats, cutout (capped), and a dump

never been harassed yet. She smells sweet at idle too

Also have Illinois plates tho :-x
So what your saying is that since you havnt been harrassed yet, you wont be harrassed at all? Like I said earlier just give it time. once the police and politicians see that the divide and conqure methos works on automotive enthusiasts too, then as one officer stated in another thread "game on". Look no further than how the california government goes after gun lovers. They single out one type of firearm and they villianize it then they put forth legislation to ban these suddenly Dangerous firearms. And because the mentality of well I dont have one and dont plan on getting one so it isnt going to affect me, just helps them when the time comes to ban them (just ask anybody with a .50 cal longrifle). We need to look at what these people have voted on in the past and not just their party affiliation before we vote for them.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
All I know is that I drive around San Diego all the time in an LS1 w/ longtubes, no cats, cutout, and a 110 LSA camshaft and I love it, never been harrassed.. course I have no stickers and no fancy spoiler

Except now my car is down so I bought a 99 FRC and its stock and slow
Yup.. I saw this article on another board and this was my post..

Im not too worried.
If the CHP are actually gonna follow the SDPD Dragnet's method, they will for the most part be targeting Japanese imports.

The SDPD are trained to look for stuff like missing heatshields on exhaust manifolds and cone filters when they pop the hood. Also the thing with imports is when you put an exhaust on them, they make an unnatural noise. To a normal person, a Civic shouldnt sound like anything.. But if you but a flowmaster or magnaflow on a Camaro/Mustang, the car now makes a proper V8 sound and the cops dont give two ***** about it.

If a cop made me pop my hood he'd seen what is a seemingly stock V8 engine. No cone filters, no missing heat shields, no stupid *** colored wire loom, just a mess of emissions hoses and bullshit.

Quick Reply: CHP wants to crack down on Modded Cars